- Here’s why you shouldn’t buy a Nintendo Switch until mid-August Monday 5:11 PM
- Man blasted for making his coworkers babysit his child Monday 5:07 PM
- Pete Buttigieg’s country radio interview was blocked from the air Monday 4:35 PM
- 15-year-old Smash Bros. prodigy caught using racist slur in private Discord server Monday 3:47 PM
- Instagram users who post pet pictures more likely to get hacked Monday 3:45 PM
- Post-Prime Day recap: Shipping delays, more sales, and a scam Monday 3:08 PM
- Jacob Wohl returns to Twitter … for now Monday 1:56 PM
- How to stream WWE Raw Reunion Monday 1:35 PM
- ‘I hope Trump deports you’: Woman goes on racist rant to Spanish speakers at a store Monday 1:24 PM
- Emoji Mashup Bot gives life to unidentifiable emotions Monday 1:15 PM
- Notorious grifter Anna Sorokin reportedly blocked from profiting off Netflix series Monday 12:45 PM
- Charlottesville attacker’s Twitter account included praise for Hitler Monday 12:10 PM
- ‘Short Treks’ trailer: Spock, Pike, and Number One return Monday 11:57 AM
- Everything we know about ‘Star Trek: Lower Decks,’ the new animated show Monday 11:55 AM
- Cole Carrigan says he left Team 10 after being called homophobic slur Monday 11:32 AM
Bart hitting Homer with a chair is the latest ‘Simpsons’ meme to take over the internet
They’ll never stop ‘The Simpsons!’
With nearly 30 years and over 600 episodes to draw from, shitposting memes from The Simpsons has become ever the popular trend on the internet in recent years, with an entire Facebook group dedicated to the phenomenon. And as we’ve seen in the past, these Simpsons memes don’t exactly have to make sense to be effective—in fact, the less sense the better. Such is the latest to take over the internet, highlighting a decades-old scene in which Bart hits Homer over the head with a chair while he sits in the bathtub.
The clip originated from the 1996 eighth season episode, “A Milhouse Divided,” which sees Bart’s blue-haired sidekick’s parents divorce. Milhouse’s mother Luann quickly rebounds with the American Gladiator “Pyro” (an apparent spoof of the real-life Gladiator “Nitro”) who—to the delight of the boys—lets Bart hit him over the back with a chair.
Bart later attempts the stunt on his own father with decidedly mixed results, as you can see in the original scene below.
Last month, the clip caught the attention of Simpsons fans who began circulating Photoshops, GIFs, and edited videos of the meme on social media. The first version of this meme that went big was likely this one about Toto’s hit song “Africa,” which was posted on Facebook:
From there it took off, becoming more elaborate and meta—such as the one below which plays off of the Bruno Mars chair meme:
Or this more recent one, which transforms Homer’s anguished howl into the opening key of “Circle of Life” from The Lion King.
oh god fucking damn it lmao pic.twitter.com/yhGCLvh3Wc— alex (@shitshowdotinfo) May 17, 2018
Not to mention the plentiful video game mashups, of which were some of the more popular examples.
Bart Hits Homer With a Chair but it's the Gamecube Startup pic.twitter.com/u23aORApBR— Jed (@JedDraws) May 7, 2018
Of course, there was also a relevant and obligatory Avengers: Infinity War gauntlet reference.
Choose your weapon pic.twitter.com/HLbg834U5k— Nibel (@Nibellion) May 7, 2018
And finally, the chair meme hit its peak with a “This Is America” reference.
Gambino hits Homer with AMERICA
Gambino hits Homer with AMERICAPosted by Content that makes you feel content on Wednesday, May 16, 2018
As the saying goes, they’ll never stop The Simpsons.
Stacey Ritzen is a reporter and editor based in West Philadelphia with over 10 years' experience covering pop culture, web culture, entertainment, and news. You can follow her on Twitter @staceyritzen.