- Twitter unites in collective confusion over ‘Democrats for Trump’ trending Saturday 2:28 PM
- YouTube star tweets and deletes video of his Black cousin ‘Peanut’ acting as a stool Saturday 1:04 PM
- The ‘Do you wash your legs in the shower’ debate has now escalated to feet Saturday 12:20 PM
- Donald Trump posted a world-class golf score, and the internet laughs at him Saturday 10:46 AM
- Lili Reinhart dragged the ‘Game of Thrones’ petition, sparking debate about TV and ‘fan service’ Saturday 9:42 AM
- How to stream UFC Fight Night 152 for free Saturday 8:00 AM
- People keep calling the ‘Game of Thrones’ creators by their initials—and it’s confusing D&D players Saturday 8:00 AM
- After infidelity and abuse accusations, ProJared said his wife wanted an open marriage Saturday 7:40 AM
- ‘Jailbirds’ prioritizes petty drama over insight Saturday 7:30 AM
- How to stream Deontay Wilder vs. Dominic Breazeale for free Saturday 7:00 AM
- How to live stream Josh Taylor vs. Ivan Baranchyk on DAZN Saturday 6:00 AM
- Kim Kardashian West reveals her and Kanye’s 4th child is named Psalm Friday 6:38 PM
- Tan France and Alexa Chung are hosting Netflix’s first fashion show Friday 5:42 PM
- Nonprofit groups express concern with pop-up abortion networks Friday 5:06 PM
- Pet owners mourn Grumpy Cat with photos of their own grumpy pets Friday 4:41 PM
Bart hitting Homer with a chair is the latest ‘Simpsons’ meme to take over the internet
They’ll never stop ‘The Simpsons!’
With nearly 30 years and over 600 episodes to draw from, shitposting memes from The Simpsons has become ever the popular trend on the internet in recent years, with an entire Facebook group dedicated to the phenomenon. And as we’ve seen in the past, these Simpsons memes don’t exactly have to make sense to be effective—in fact, the less sense the better. Such is the latest to take over the internet, highlighting a decades-old scene in which Bart hits Homer over the head with a chair while he sits in the bathtub.
The clip originated from the 1996 eighth season episode, “A Milhouse Divided,” which sees Bart’s blue-haired sidekick’s parents divorce. Milhouse’s mother Luann quickly rebounds with the American Gladiator “Pyro” (an apparent spoof of the real-life Gladiator “Nitro”) who—to the delight of the boys—lets Bart hit him over the back with a chair.
Bart later attempts the stunt on his own father with decidedly mixed results, as you can see in the original scene below.
Last month, the clip caught the attention of Simpsons fans who began circulating Photoshops, GIFs, and edited videos of the meme on social media. The first version of this meme that went big was likely this one about Toto’s hit song “Africa,” which was posted on Facebook:
From there it took off, becoming more elaborate and meta—such as the one below which plays off of the Bruno Mars chair meme:
Or this more recent one, which transforms Homer’s anguished howl into the opening key of “Circle of Life” from The Lion King.
oh god fucking damn it lmao pic.twitter.com/yhGCLvh3Wc
— alex (@shitshowdotinfo) May 17, 2018
Not to mention the plentiful video game mashups, of which were some of the more popular examples.
— Genowhirl (@Genowhirl70) May 6, 2018
Bart Hits Homer With a Chair but it's the Gamecube Startup pic.twitter.com/u23aORApBR
— Jed (@JedDraws) May 7, 2018
Of course, there was also a relevant and obligatory Avengers: Infinity War gauntlet reference.
Choose your weapon pic.twitter.com/HLbg834U5k
— Nibel (@Nibellion) May 7, 2018
And finally, the chair meme hit its peak with a “This Is America” reference.
Gambino hits Homer with AMERICA
Posted by Content that makes you feel content on Wednesday, May 16, 2018
As the saying goes, they’ll never stop The Simpsons.
Stacey Ritzen is a reporter and editor based in West Philadelphia with over 10 years' experience covering pop culture, web culture, entertainment, and news. You can follow her on Twitter @staceyritzen.