- Curvy Wife Guy drops music video for rap song ‘Chubby Sexy’ Friday 7:33 PM
- A ‘Black Mirror’ spinoff mini-series is coming to YouTube via Netflix Latin America Friday 5:56 PM
- Kanye West appears on David Letterman’s Netflix show to talk Trump, TMZ, and Drake Friday 3:27 PM
- QAnon believers link small-town arrest to deep state conspiracy without evidence Friday 1:58 PM
- Instagram photos showing prison conditions spark massive protest Friday 1:33 PM
- ‘Gay rat wedding’ headline sparks amazing new meme Friday 1:03 PM
- ‘I read a gossip piece’ meme mocks Moby’s Instagram post Friday 12:39 PM
- Rotten Tomatoes wants to see your ticket stub to leave a verified review Friday 11:46 AM
- ‘Sonic the Hedgehog’ movie delayed to 2020 to fix his look Friday 11:39 AM
- ‘Swamp Thing’ gets off to a promising start, but can it tell a convincing love story? Friday 11:34 AM
- ‘Falling on deaf ears’: ‘Queer Eye’ star sparks conversation about ableist idioms Friday 11:15 AM
- Parents are spending thousands on YouTube camps that teach kids how to be famous Friday 10:43 AM
- In season 2 of ‘She’s Gotta Have It,’ Spike Lee remains unapologetically himself Friday 10:36 AM
- Trump selling Pride shirts is a grotesque insult to the LGBTQ community Friday 10:27 AM
- Logan Paul is being mocked for pulling out of slapping competition Friday 9:57 AM
After another leak, the internet can’t stop roasting this fuzzy monstrosity.
Sonic the Hedgehog is known for going fast, but I can’t help but feel like we’re watching the world’s worst train collision in slow-motion. The live-action Sonic the Hedgehog film, starring Jim Carrey, Ben Schwartz, and freakin’ James Marsden among others has already sparked enough memes to last a lifetime. There was the mysterious, shadowy poster that refused to let us see Sonic’s new form, there was the weird second leaked poster taken from the point-of-view of Sonic’s crotch, and now the latest leaks from what looks like an internal company slideshow and a screen capture of Sonic running.
We can only imagine what the final move will look like, but here’s the week-in-review for funny, occasionally haunting Sonic the Hedgehog live action memes.
Sonic the Hedgehog memes
First off, here’s the latest leaked images in question. First, a screenshot from what we can only assume is a scene from the film or at least a design still, first reported by TSSZ.
Here’s the second image, a series of slides posted and then quickly deleted by Hamagami/Carroll Associates Inc, an advertising agency that Paramount Pictures employs. You’ll note the “brand personality” page that lists Sonic’s attractive traits, such as being “irreverent and sarcastic” and “mischievous but not malicious.” Thank goodness!
OK, have you processed all of that? Good, great. Here are the memes that’ll make you question everything.
First up, you’ve got a particularly creepy one that compares Sonic’s live-action form to the “Stoned Fox,” a stuffed fox that was clearly made by someone under the influence of something.
— Amaral (@kelvinfamaral) March 7, 2019
— ShaunJoyce (@ShaunDJoyce) March 8, 2019
I figured out what the Sonic render reminded me of…there he is. pic.twitter.com/qLjPdOqPXG
— Nipah 🐣 Yeticon (@NipahDUBS) March 6, 2019
Here’s one that parodies a Dr. Seuss tale, although I can’t for the life of me figure out which one this comes from.
I adore this one that pokes fun at a past Nintendo Direct event, where puppet versions of Nintendo executives Reggie Fils-Aime, Shigeru Miyamoto, and the late Satoru Iwata transformed into Star Fox characters.
Cinematography by Stephen F. Windon
Directed by Jeff Fowler pic.twitter.com/CQf72qpRHj
— BoOKah 😐 (@supervalentin4) March 8, 2019
Then there’s this blue dude, who could totally convince me to buy some cereal.
New sonic buggin buggin pic.twitter.com/yKWFs87Hnj
— NRG | HookGangGod (@HookGangGod) March 8, 2019
Much doge, very fast.
I love the new improvements they made to sonic pic.twitter.com/R9clvfEPDB
— HighJacked (@HighJackHusky) March 7, 2019
Sonic Adventure 2 fans will recognize the infamous G.U.N. truck, made only more horrifying by Sonic’s live-action face.
Sonic Adventure 2 the Movie by Paramount Pictures pic.twitter.com/dLd8zy4X0o
— SEGAbits (@SEGAbits) March 7, 2019
You’ve got two memes that bring to mind the infamous chase scene from Terminator 2 and its various imitations.
“DRAKE, WHAT’S THAT BEHIND US?”
“It’s Sonic the Hedgehog. What’s wrong?”
— Juan Miguel Deleon (@Videogameboypro) March 7, 2019
I can’t believe Stephen King directed the Sonic movie pic.twitter.com/gJ265KCOEQ
— Connor Sordyl #Klonoa4Smash (@DreamSaturnYT) March 7, 2019
Sonic might be a Sega property, but Nintendo fans know all too well the pain of a hilariously botched live-action movie.
Well here’s another thing Mario & Sonic have in common pic.twitter.com/srH56Kx1PE
— TKHulk 2.0 (@TKHulk2) March 7, 2019
Wow, the Sonic Movie is looking pretty good! Great job to everyone involved 👏 pic.twitter.com/2XaX6oaAzG
— Sam's Procrastination Station (@SamsProStation) March 6, 2019
A lot of people noticed that ol’ live-action Sonic looked like he would fit perfectly in a medical ad for children, or seniors looking to boost their Metamucil intake.
You know what, the new Sonic design works really well as a medicine mascot… pic.twitter.com/yjp8BJFCTa
— helixD (@its_helixD) March 6, 2019
I thought the new design of Sonic for the movie make him look like a cereal mascot, so i placed him on a box, and he fits so well now… pic.twitter.com/Vr5xllLaRU
— helixD (@its_helixD) March 5, 2019
Wreck It Ralph 2 just came out, and Sonic’s previous incarnation made a short cameo, but that didn’t stop meme makers from inserting their own joke.
oh sonic pic.twitter.com/14cGvbHQ7N
— LGR (@lazygamereviews) March 6, 2019
What is a meme compilation without a few Spongebob Squarepants jokes?
Everyone's reaction to Movie Sonic. pic.twitter.com/ceB3qZEtld
— acecondeuce (@acecondeuce) March 5, 2019
So this is what Sonic looks like… pic.twitter.com/j17c7x796l
— GameSpot (@GameSpot) March 5, 2019
— TontonSmooth (@AvunculusDulcis) March 5, 2019
— Katamari Didomi (@nottherealvega) March 5, 2019
You can bet we’ll be keeping an eye on the internet for more Sonic live-action memes, so make sure to check back.
Joseph Knoop is a gaming writer for Daily Dot, a native Chicagoan, and a slave to all things Overwatch. He co-founded the college geek culture outlet ByteBSU, then interned at Game Informer, and now writes for a bunch websites his parents have never heard of.