- Chapo Trap House among leftist channels banned on Twitch for streaming Democratic debate 12 Months Ago
- Meet Ryker, the world’s worst service dog 12 Months Ago
- Far-right blogger claims Trump ordered arrest of Julian Assange 12 Months Ago
- Reddit man wants to tell people he’s been with his girlfriend for one year instead of 6—for an incredibly dumb reason Today 2:18 PM
- John C. Reilly’s son Leo is a TikTok star Today 1:58 PM
- ‘Vanderpump Rules’ recap: A friendship sails Today 1:52 PM
- For celebs, Kobe Bryant tattoos are all the rage Today 1:01 PM
- The internet has discovered Jim and Pam Halpert’s daughter—and she’s on TikTok Today 12:32 PM
- YouPorn launches adult-themed TikTok knock-off Today 12:29 PM
- Clearview AI client list reportedly stolen Today 11:56 AM
- Billie Eilish’s brother Finneas walks back on tone-deaf advice to young creatives Today 11:26 AM
- ‘Caronavirus’ trends after Trump misspells coronavirus Today 11:20 AM
- Conservative writer claims rape victims, trans people are most privileged Today 10:45 AM
- Colin Trevorrow reveals the title of the 3rd ‘Jurassic World’ movie Today 10:28 AM
- You can pre-order Bloomberg’s ‘not a socialist’ hats now if you really want to Today 10:06 AM
Sonic the Hedgehog is known for going fast, but I can’t help but feel like we’re watching the world’s worst train collision in slow-motion. The live-action Sonic the Hedgehog film, starring Jim Carrey, Ben Schwartz, and freakin’ James Marsden among others has already sparked enough memes to last a lifetime. There was the mysterious, shadowy poster that refused to let us see Sonic’s new form, there was the weird second leaked poster taken from the point-of-view of Sonic’s crotch, and now the latest leaks from what looks like an internal company slideshow and a screen capture of Sonic running.
We can only imagine what the final move will look like, but here’s the week-in-review for funny, occasionally haunting Sonic the Hedgehog live action memes.
Sonic the Hedgehog memes
First off, here’s the latest leaked images in question. First, a screenshot from what we can only assume is a scene from the film or at least a design still, first reported by TSSZ.
Here’s the second image, a series of slides posted and then quickly deleted by Hamagami/Carroll Associates Inc, an advertising agency that Paramount Pictures employs. You’ll note the “brand personality” page that lists Sonic’s attractive traits, such as being “irreverent and sarcastic” and “mischievous but not malicious.” Thank goodness!
OK, have you processed all of that? Good, great. Here are the memes that’ll make you question everything.
First up, you’ve got a particularly creepy one that compares Sonic’s live-action form to the “Stoned Fox,” a stuffed fox that was clearly made by someone under the influence of something.
Here’s one that parodies a Dr. Seuss tale, although I can’t for the life of me figure out which one this comes from.
I adore this one that pokes fun at a past Nintendo Direct event, where puppet versions of Nintendo executives Reggie Fils-Aime, Shigeru Miyamoto, and the late Satoru Iwata transformed into Star Fox characters.
Then there’s this blue dude, who could totally convince me to buy some cereal.
New sonic buggin buggin pic.twitter.com/yKWFs87Hnj— NRG | HookGangGod (@HookGangGod) March 8, 2019
Much doge, very fast.
I love the new improvements they made to sonic pic.twitter.com/R9clvfEPDB— HighJacked (@HighJackHusky) March 7, 2019
Sonic Adventure 2 fans will recognize the infamous G.U.N. truck, made only more horrifying by Sonic’s live-action face.
Sonic Adventure 2 the Movie by Paramount Pictures pic.twitter.com/dLd8zy4X0o— SEGAbits (@SEGAbits) March 7, 2019
You’ve got two memes that bring to mind the infamous chase scene from Terminator 2 and its various imitations.
I can’t believe Stephen King directed the Sonic movie pic.twitter.com/gJ265KCOEQ— Connor Sordyl #Klonoa4Smash (@DreamSaturnYT) March 7, 2019
Sonic might be a Sega property, but Nintendo fans know all too well the pain of a hilariously botched live-action movie.
Well here’s another thing Mario & Sonic have in common pic.twitter.com/srH56Kx1PE— TKHulk 2.0 (@TKHulk2) March 7, 2019
A lot of people noticed that ol’ live-action Sonic looked like he would fit perfectly in a medical ad for children, or seniors looking to boost their Metamucil intake.
You know what, the new Sonic design works really well as a medicine mascot... pic.twitter.com/yjp8BJFCTa— helixD (@its_helixD) March 6, 2019
I thought the new design of Sonic for the movie make him look like a cereal mascot, so i placed him on a box, and he fits so well now... pic.twitter.com/Vr5xllLaRU— helixD (@its_helixD) March 5, 2019
Wreck It Ralph 2 just came out, and Sonic’s previous incarnation made a short cameo, but that didn’t stop meme makers from inserting their own joke.
oh sonic pic.twitter.com/14cGvbHQ7N— LGR (@lazygamereviews) March 6, 2019
What is a meme compilation without a few Spongebob Squarepants jokes?
Everyone's reaction to Movie Sonic. pic.twitter.com/ceB3qZEtld— acecondeuce (@acecondeuce) March 5, 2019
So this is what Sonic looks like... pic.twitter.com/j17c7x796l— GameSpot (@GameSpot) March 5, 2019
You can bet we’ll be keeping an eye on the internet for more Sonic live-action memes, so make sure to check back.
Joseph Knoop is a gaming writer for Daily Dot, a native Chicagoan, and a slave to all things Overwatch. He co-founded the college geek culture outlet ByteBSU, then interned at Game Informer, and now writes for a bunch websites his parents have never heard of.