- Bug lets Twitter save your DMs—even after you delete them Friday 7:21 PM
- Guy mansplains song to Japanese Breakfast, the female artist who wrote the song Friday 6:38 PM
- Ann Coulter’s Twitter bio links to a vulgar parody account Friday 5:22 PM
- Popular YouTube music channel gets income yanked for ‘repetitious’ content Friday 4:14 PM
- New website will endlessly generate fake faces thanks to AI Friday 3:41 PM
- Man fakes getting stood up at Outback Steakhouse Friday 3:03 PM
- FCC looks to tackle robocalls and spoofed texts Friday 2:57 PM
- How to protect yourself from the data breach that affected 744 million accounts Friday 12:56 PM
- How to stream Rob Brant vs. Khasan Baysangurov online for free Friday 12:21 PM
- No, Ocasio-Cortez doesn’t have her boyfriend on her payroll Friday 12:20 PM
- Writers want this book canceled for misgendering its protagonist Friday 12:15 PM
- Trump Jr’s meme about his dad’s border wall doesn’t get how Congress works Friday 11:44 AM
- FBI reportedly looking into Ryan Adams’ communications with underage girl Friday 11:25 AM
- Trump does Chinese accent, declares national emergency, bewilders the internet Friday 11:21 AM
- Chrissy Teigen throws shade at Logan Paul-Kaitlin Bennett pairing Friday 10:48 AM
Niantic Labs revealed Monday what players can expect on its next Community Day, and if you’re a fan of the starter Pokémon Squirtle, you’re in for a treat. While some of the bonuses include three-hour lures, the ability to hatch eggs in a quarter of the distance, and the ability to unlock a Blastoise who can use Hydro Cannon, one of the big draws is a stylish Squirtle that will be familiar to fans of the original Pokémon anime once you unlock Research tasks.
Attention, Trainers: if you complete Field Research tasks during Community Day, you may have a chance to encounter Squirtle sporting sunglasses. 🕶️ Good luck! pic.twitter.com/hacoIvzOCD
— Pokémon GO (@PokemonGoApp) July 2, 2018
Technically, Pokémon Go is only offering players the chance to catch a Squirtle that is wearing sunglasses. But for fans who’ve seen early Pokémon, the sunglasses-donning Squirtle is a reference to the Squirtle Squad, a group of five mischievous Squirtles who liked to cause minor havoc in the episode “Here Comes the Squirtle Squad.” The leader of the pack, who had a pointed pair of sunglasses compared to the round pair worn by the other four, eventually became Ash’s own Squirtle.
The official Pokémon YouTube account recently released a video celebrating the quintet.
The sunglasses Squirtle is similar to the many Pikachu variations we’ve seen since Pokémon Go’s launch (which have included a Santa hat, a birthday hat, and a witch’s hat, among others), making it the first non-Pikachu Pokémon to don an accessory in the game.
We doubt that these new Squirtles will cause as much trouble as the original Squirtle Squad, but they’ll definitely look cool beating your opponents—if you can get your hands on one.
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.