- How to watch ‘Game of Thrones’ season 8, episode 2 for free Today 7:00 AM
- Gendry is making a new weapon for Arya Stark—but what is it? Today 6:30 AM
- The live-action Halo series could be Showtime’s most ambitious project yet Today 6:00 AM
- How to watch Turner Classic Movies for free Today 5:30 AM
- How to watch Real Madrid vs. Athletic Bilbao online for free Today 5:00 AM
- ‘Star Trek’s Jonathan Frakes calls out your lies with this new meme Saturday 3:46 PM
- #JusticeForLucca trends after video shows police slam Black teen’s head into pavement Saturday 3:11 PM
- The internet is shocked to learn that Goombas do, in fact, have arms Saturday 2:02 PM
- PayPal, GoFundMe cut off armed militia that detains migrants at border Saturday 1:16 PM
- Barnwood theft may be on the rise because of ‘Fixer Upper’—and fans aren’t having it Saturday 12:23 PM
- Literary Twitter calls out Dzanc Books for Islamophobic, racist novel Saturday 11:40 AM
- How to watch Crawford vs. Khan online Saturday 10:00 AM
- Beyoncé has 2 more projects coming to Netflix after ‘Homecoming’ Saturday 9:53 AM
- How to watch Danny Garcia vs. Adrian Granados for free Saturday 9:00 AM
- The ‘Feeling Cute Challenge’ turns ugly after correctional officers abuse it Saturday 7:30 AM
Niantic Labs revealed Monday what players can expect on its next Community Day, and if you’re a fan of the starter Pokémon Squirtle, you’re in for a treat. While some of the bonuses include three-hour lures, the ability to hatch eggs in a quarter of the distance, and the ability to unlock a Blastoise who can use Hydro Cannon, one of the big draws is a stylish Squirtle that will be familiar to fans of the original Pokémon anime once you unlock Research tasks.
Attention, Trainers: if you complete Field Research tasks during Community Day, you may have a chance to encounter Squirtle sporting sunglasses. 🕶️ Good luck! pic.twitter.com/hacoIvzOCD
— Pokémon GO (@PokemonGoApp) July 2, 2018
Technically, Pokémon Go is only offering players the chance to catch a Squirtle that is wearing sunglasses. But for fans who’ve seen early Pokémon, the sunglasses-donning Squirtle is a reference to the Squirtle Squad, a group of five mischievous Squirtles who liked to cause minor havoc in the episode “Here Comes the Squirtle Squad.” The leader of the pack, who had a pointed pair of sunglasses compared to the round pair worn by the other four, eventually became Ash’s own Squirtle.
The official Pokémon YouTube account recently released a video celebrating the quintet.
The sunglasses Squirtle is similar to the many Pikachu variations we’ve seen since Pokémon Go’s launch (which have included a Santa hat, a birthday hat, and a witch’s hat, among others), making it the first non-Pikachu Pokémon to don an accessory in the game.
We doubt that these new Squirtles will cause as much trouble as the original Squirtle Squad, but they’ll definitely look cool beating your opponents—if you can get your hands on one.
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.