- ‘Sonic the Hedgehog’ sets box office record for video game movies Sunday 8:15 PM
- Truck driver allegedly watching porn kills teen driver in a car crash Sunday 6:44 PM
- Is the Buttigieg campaign behind this pro-Pete Nigerian Twitter account? Sunday 4:58 PM
- Mask that has your face printed on it allows you to unlock your phone during viral epidemics Sunday 3:52 PM
- Justin Bieber slid into the DMs of someone who hated his new album Sunday 1:05 PM
- HQ Trivia host and co-founder in Twitter feud amid shutdown Sunday 12:10 PM
- YouTuber shamed for fake call with Caroline Flack after her death Sunday 10:59 AM
- This MAGA-loving Keanu Reeves imposter isn’t fooling anyone Sunday 10:16 AM
- How to watch ‘Outlander’ season 5 online Sunday 8:00 AM
- Kobe Bryant’s complicated online legacy isn’t buried with him Sunday 6:00 AM
- TikTok teen’s reaction to discovering boyfriend’s cheating goes viral Saturday 4:46 PM
- This may be the creepiest Amazon review you’ll ever read Saturday 3:58 PM
- Bill Maher booed on own show over defense of Bloomberg Saturday 3:37 PM
- The Sun allegedly deletes negative Caroline Flack story after her death Saturday 2:48 PM
- How to watch ‘American Idol’ season 18 Saturday 2:00 PM
Tumblr is melting down over a shirt Oscar Isaac wore 5 years ago
Is Tumblr’s new fave problematic?
The Star Wars heartthrob, who has been enjoying intense newfound fame with the release of The Force Awakens, turned heads for a different reason this week, when a 2011 photo of him in an Atlas Shrugged T-shirt made the rounds.
What’s in a T-shirt? A lot, if it’s a perceived reference to libertarianism. Atlas Shrugged author Ayn Rand was a strident capitalist whose Objectivist philosophy is closely aligned with libertarian ideals. In recent years, the two have become virtually synonymous, in part thanks to a recent film adaptation of Atlas Shrugged and a new wave of interest in the book among young conservatives.
Isaac wore the T-shirt a full year before the longsuffering and critically panned Atlas Shrugged film trilogy debuted. But it’s been sparking puzzled double-takes from fans this year. Over the weekend, the controversy hit critical mass—and we reached peak Tumblr.
Tumblr’s social-justice community has been heavily mocked and parodied for its catchphrase “your fave is problematic.” The phrase is a way of calling out potentially troubling things that fans’ favorite celebrities may have done or said. It is usually followed by a list of allegedly “problematic” incidents.
Lately, the “problematic” callout has become something of a joke, often followed by a list of funny and inoffensive quirks. And the “problematic” meme turned into a hilarious viral Tumblr moment on Monday, because Isaac’s T-shirt straddles a weird line between genuinely bothersome and hilariously trivial, a line tailored to send Tumblr users into a frenzy.
Naturally, there was plenty of confusion.
Buzz over the shirt quickly spread to Twitter, where mockery ensued.
it’s so funny how everyone is freaking out over oscar isaac wearing an atlas shrugged tee like 5 years ago when he’s. a millionaire.
— CAIRO (@MlDNIGHTER) January 4, 2016
The Oscar Isaac Atlas Shrugged T-Shirt thing is basically the perfect example of Tumblr’s weird autodidactism in action.
— Harry J (@hazbaz) January 5, 2016
If only Oscar Isaac had anticipated the rise of Tumblr culture in 2011, we might all have been spared this embarrassment.
Isaac’s publicist did not respond to a request for comment, but Daily Dot lead illustrator Jason Reed did make this graphic for us.
Correction: The photo of Isaac in the Ayn Rand T-shirt is from 2011.
Photo via raccooninthegirlslockerroom/Tumblr
Aja Romano is a geek culture reporter and fandom expert. Their reporting at the Daily Dot covered everything from Harry Potter and anime to Tumblr and Gamergate. Romano joined Vox as a staff reporter in 2016.