- Kim Kardashian dragged for using makeup to darken her hands 10 Months Ago
- TikTok users show how they turned their vehicles into incredible tiny homes Today 3:44 PM
- Woman iconically pranks man who sent her an unsolicited d*ck pic Today 2:25 PM
- ‘Terrifying’ deepfake puts Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk in ‘Star Trek’ Today 1:06 PM
- A 36-year-old called the cops after being booted from parents’ phone plan Today 12:16 PM
- People think novelist Dean Koontz predicted the coronavirus in 1981 thriller Today 10:22 AM
- Twitter suspends 70 pro-Bloomberg accounts Today 9:15 AM
- In documentary ‘Modern Whore,’ a former escort takes control of her own narrative Today 6:30 AM
- Cara Delevingne calls out Justin Bieber for ‘ranking’ wife Hailey’s friends Friday 9:07 PM
- Fans defend Jenna Marbles after some people claimed she mistreated her dogs in a recent video Friday 8:37 PM
- ‘Friends’ gets reunion special on HBO Max, fans go wild Friday 7:37 PM
- Why you should drop everything and start reading ‘Lore Olympus’ Friday 6:27 PM
- ‘Boogaloo’ memes are trying to organize a second civil war—and they’re spreading fast Friday 3:48 PM
- People are disturbed by these McDonald’s-scented candles Friday 3:47 PM
- Season 2 of ‘The Witcher’ is in production Friday 3:16 PM
Eggman seems to have lost some weight.
The first image of Jim Carrey as Dr. Robotnik in the upcoming Sonic the Hedgehog live-action movie has leaked, and like any lifelong fans of a furry blue dude with attitude, the internet has opinions.
The leaked image comes via @SEGAbits, a fan-operated SEGA news account. We see Carrey sporting a red jacket, a bushy mustache, and aviator goggles, all while seemingly piloting some sort of machine or aircraft.
Don’t worry, we’re just as confused. Historically, the game and cartoon evil genius known as Dr. Ivo “Eggman” Robotnik has been far more rotund, and Jim Carrey looks positively svelte. Typically, he also has a shiny bald head, but Carrey is sporting a nicely groomed head of hair. The same @SEGAbits account also posted a picture of Carrey allegedly from his Instagram (although Daily Dot was unable to find this exact image) showing Carrey’s haircut, which matches the leaked image.
Here is Jim’s haircut he posted on Instagram, citing it was for the role of Robotnik. This cut matches the rumored trailer image. pic.twitter.com/LmFDZFsvT7— SEGAbits (@SEGAbits) April 29, 2019
Birth.Movies.Death editor Scott Wampler later confirmed the image, noting he had seen it in a privately revealed trailer during CinemaCon earlier this month. Wampler described the character as “late 90’s Jim Carrey mode,” which puts him right around The Truman Show and The Cable Guy.
Can confirm that's real. We saw two trailers at CinemaCon, one which was entirely focused on Carrey as Robotnik. He's playing the character in what I would describe as "late 90's Jim Carrey mode". https://t.co/t0HHJzy43s— Scott Wampler™ (@ScottWamplerBMD) April 29, 2019
Of course, the internet couldn’t let this go without a few quotable reactions. First off, the comparisons of Carrey’s Robotnik to other infamously evil geniuses:
why does robotnik look like dr horrible— Energy Sword Julie (@juliemuncy23) April 29, 2019
Jim Carrey Robotnik looks like he and his wife trawl Tinder in search of "a third troubador to join us for schnapps and decadence in our Steampunk Boudoir" pic.twitter.com/ry4He21utv— Gertrude Perkins ☄ (@gertrudeprkns) April 29, 2019
wow robotnik looks great in the new sonic movie pic.twitter.com/UZMg4xv69A— Normal Valerie (@valeriehalla) April 29, 2019
Robotnik from the upcoming live-action Sonic the Hedgehog movie looks like a steampunk sex offender. pic.twitter.com/o33UpXEY5k— Joe-Joe and Kim! (@joejoehasfun) April 29, 2019
Plenty of folks think Carrey’s Robotnik will take a turn for the worse at some point in the film, and perhaps grow a belly and lose all his hair.
I get the feeling that Jim Carrey's version of Eggman/Robotnik is going to gain some weight and lose his hair in the inevitable end credits scene. pic.twitter.com/K1M6zXAP5u— Linkabel (@AbelMunizJr) April 29, 2019
Left: Netflix Robotnik— Balance (@KounterPoise) April 29, 2019
Right: The Robotnik we deserved pic.twitter.com/HUqRHhfSK3
According to @SEGAbits, a trailer for Sonic the Hedgehog will drop on Tuesday, and you can bet we’ll be there to watch it. Lord let there be enough Chaos Emeralds to make this movie good.
Joseph Knoop is a gaming writer for Daily Dot, a native Chicagoan, and a slave to all things Overwatch. He co-founded the college geek culture outlet ByteBSU, then interned at Game Informer, and now writes for a bunch websites his parents have never heard of.