- How to stream Manchester City vs. Shakhtar Donetsk in Champions League action 5 Years Ago
- Milo Yiannopoulos threatens to crash furry convention he is barred from 5 Years Ago
- How to stream Juventus vs. Atletico Madrid in Champions League action 5 Years Ago
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. PSG in Champions League action Today 5:24 PM
- No-fly zone implemented over Area 51 ahead of Alienstock festival Today 5:16 PM
- TikTok accused of censoring content about Hong Kong protests Today 5:04 PM
- Smoke ’em, pass ’em, Week 3: At the Bakery Today 4:38 PM
- Alex Trebek says he will be undergoing chemotherapy again Today 4:27 PM
- Dan Crenshaw roasted after attacking Sanders’ call for veteran care Today 4:19 PM
- How to stream NXT for its USA network debut Today 4:12 PM
- This website will show you how AI classifies you Today 3:22 PM
- School tells Black 4-year-old to cut his hair or wear a dress Today 3:17 PM
- Lizzo called a ‘snitch’ for accusing Postmates runner of stealing food Today 2:30 PM
- Government sues Edward Snowden for breaking a non-disclosure agreement Today 2:21 PM
- How to stream Tottenham Hotspur vs. Olympiacos in the Champions League Today 1:56 PM
Traditional animation meets gaming in ‘Cuphead’
‘Cuphead’ uses cel animation to bring classic cartoons to gaming.
Have you ever wanted to walk into a 1930s cartoon? If so, Cuphead is here for you. Previewed briefly during the Microsoft Xbox Press Conference last week at E3, the game looks visually striking and unique to boot.
Studio MDHR, which developed the game, is aiming to launch in 2015 on Steam and Xbox One. It’s a great catch for Microsoft, which is trying to build a catalogue of unique and interesting games beyond the Call of Duty and Halo fare. The studio also hopes to release the game on the Sega Master System. Yes, the console that was released back in 1986. It would be the complete package, with a box, cartridge, and game manual.
The game follows the same style of early animation. Studio MDHR is taking the time to use actual cels and is inking by hand to create that classic effect. The music for the game is also live recorded Jazz, none of that MIDI stuff.
The game stars Cuphead, or Mugman if you and a buddy want to tackle the game co-op. It’s a run-and-gun shooter, kind of like Contra from back in the day. Unsurprisingly, Cuphead is a nominee for the International Games Festival.
Screengrab via cupheadgame.com
Imad Khan is a gaming and esports reporter. His work has been featured on Digital Trends and ESPN.