- 2020 Democrats refuse to answer our questions about ‘Cats’ Today 4:14 PM
- Belle Delphine’s Instagram account removed after mass reporting campaign Today 4:08 PM
- Mariah Carey refuses old-age FaceApp challenge Today 3:19 PM
- Journalists horrified by consolidation of Gatehouse, Gannett Today 3:12 PM
- Facebook and Google could be tracking you on porn sites Today 1:42 PM
- 7 best sites for psychic love readings Today 1:20 PM
- Driver demonstrates why you always need to read road signs Today 12:58 PM
- Area 51 remix video proves it’s the summer of Lil Nas X Today 12:26 PM
- ‘ICE will come’: Convenience store clerk threatens customers speaking Spanish Today 12:11 PM
- Rand Paul dodges questions about 9/11 Victims Fund, says ‘watch Fox News’ Today 11:51 AM
- Report: ‘Stranger Things’ season 4 to begin shooting in October Today 11:03 AM
- AT&T paid Michael Cohen to consult on net neutrality, FBI documents show Today 9:10 AM
- Mysterio’s ruse changes on a second viewing of ‘Far From Home’ Today 9:06 AM
- Twitter overturns Barrett Brown’s third permanent suspension Today 8:49 AM
- How to live stream Liga MX Today 7:56 AM
11 wildly inappropriate Nintendo ads from the ’90s
Well, that was awkward.
There’s a reason why today’s Nintendo advertisements are more reasonably tame than the ones in the ’90s. In the glory days of the NES, SNES, and earlier Game Boy products, advertisements needed extraordinary copy and visuals to wow their consumers in buying their latest game or console.
Some of Nintendo’s earlier advertisements were wildly inappropriate or just plain wrong.
1) Game Boy Original — 1989-1990
Photo via memearcade.com
It’s ridiculous enough to stuff a ferret down your trousers, but to have the ferret be in that position? Just plain weird.
2) Game Boy Color — 1998
Photo via memoryglands.com
If this advertisement isn’t discriminatory, we sure as hell don’t know what is!
3) Super Nintendo Entertainment System — 1991
Photo via JonnyCampbell/Flickr
This Nintendo advertisement encourages you to ‘play all your favorite American and Japanese games.’
4) Game Boy Pocket — 1996
Photo via deltaone211/Reddit
Nintendo should have narrowed down the context for this one. A woman wearing lingerie with her hands tied to the bedposts? Really?!? We’re pretty disappointed just like the expression on her face.
5) ‘Low G Man’ for Nintendo Entertainment System — 1990
Photo via ign.com
It seems as if Nintendo supports criminal behaviour with this advertisement. Running and jumping while stabbing and looting? Let’s not forget Nintendo’s official golden seal of quality!
6) ‘The Untouchables’ for Nintendo Entertainment System — 1990
Photo via gamesetwatch.com
In other words, you’re just asking us to be killed. Thanks Nintendo.
7) Game Boy Color Naki Rechargeable Battery Pack — 1998
For a gaming explosion, NUKE your Game boy.
8) Game Boy Pocket — 1996
The key phrase here is: ‘or anywhere else you want.’
9) ‘Flipull’ for Game Boy Original — 1990
Clearly, the writers of the advertisement have THEIR brains upside down.
10) Game Boy Pocket — 1996
Photo via vintagecomputing.com
It’s a Game Boy Color! Not some sugary candy that will stain your tongue — rather, you’ve stained your precious eyes from seeing this freaky advertisement.
11) Virtual Boy by Nintendo — 1995