- Fans call out Madonna for edited Eurovision video Tuesday 9:36 PM
- Partnered Twitch streamer temporarily banned for airing troll’s racist message Tuesday 8:45 PM
- Reddit theory says fans are wrong about who won ‘Game of Thrones’ Tuesday 6:52 PM
- Elon Musk hires ‘absolute unit’ sheep meme creator to be Tesla’s social media manager Tuesday 6:12 PM
- Jason Momoa stands by his Khaleesi after the ‘Game of Thrones’ finale Tuesday 4:05 PM
- Airbnb, 23andMe partner for creepy heritage travel recommendations Tuesday 3:26 PM
- Rep. Katie Porter goes viral again for trouncing Ben Carson (updated) Tuesday 3:26 PM
- This deepfake takes Bill Hader’s Schwarzenegger impression to the next level Tuesday 2:58 PM
- Wanda Sykes rails against Trump and offers much-needed perspective in ‘Not Normal’ Tuesday 2:41 PM
- Man arrested after allegedly threatening to shoot YouTube employees Tuesday 2:13 PM
- Some House Dems are backing away from the Save the Internet Act Tuesday 1:40 PM
- Thousands sign petition calling for Danny DeVito to play Wolverine Tuesday 1:02 PM
- Jason Mitchell fired from ‘Desperados’ and ‘The Chi’ after misconduct allegations Tuesday 12:36 PM
- Police raid Black woman’s house after white neighbor complains about loud Malcolm X speeches Tuesday 12:20 PM
- ‘Transfixed’ says it’s a ‘breakthrough’ series, but it still fetishizes trans bodies Tuesday 11:04 AM
11 wildly inappropriate Nintendo ads from the ’90s
Well, that was awkward.
There’s a reason why today’s Nintendo advertisements are more reasonably tame than the ones in the ’90s. In the glory days of the NES, SNES, and earlier Game Boy products, advertisements needed extraordinary copy and visuals to wow their consumers in buying their latest game or console.
Some of Nintendo’s earlier advertisements were wildly inappropriate or just plain wrong.
1) Game Boy Original — 1989-1990
Photo via memearcade.com
It’s ridiculous enough to stuff a ferret down your trousers, but to have the ferret be in that position? Just plain weird.
2) Game Boy Color — 1998
Photo via memoryglands.com
If this advertisement isn’t discriminatory, we sure as hell don’t know what is!
3) Super Nintendo Entertainment System — 1991
Photo via JonnyCampbell/Flickr
This Nintendo advertisement encourages you to ‘play all your favorite American and Japanese games.’
4) Game Boy Pocket — 1996
Photo via deltaone211/Reddit
Nintendo should have narrowed down the context for this one. A woman wearing lingerie with her hands tied to the bedposts? Really?!? We’re pretty disappointed just like the expression on her face.
5) ‘Low G Man’ for Nintendo Entertainment System — 1990
Photo via ign.com
It seems as if Nintendo supports criminal behaviour with this advertisement. Running and jumping while stabbing and looting? Let’s not forget Nintendo’s official golden seal of quality!
6) ‘The Untouchables’ for Nintendo Entertainment System — 1990
Photo via gamesetwatch.com
In other words, you’re just asking us to be killed. Thanks Nintendo.
7) Game Boy Color Naki Rechargeable Battery Pack — 1998
For a gaming explosion, NUKE your Game boy.
8) Game Boy Pocket — 1996
The key phrase here is: ‘or anywhere else you want.’
9) ‘Flipull’ for Game Boy Original — 1990
Clearly, the writers of the advertisement have THEIR brains upside down.
10) Game Boy Pocket — 1996
Photo via vintagecomputing.com
It’s a Game Boy Color! Not some sugary candy that will stain your tongue — rather, you’ve stained your precious eyes from seeing this freaky advertisement.
11) Virtual Boy by Nintendo — 1995