- Facebook introduces ‘Community Actions’ tool to petition the government 9 Months Ago
- Sarah Sanders, NRA deliver truly misguided MLK tributes today Today 12:58 PM
- MAGA teen who confronted Native elder says he ‘respects all races’ Today 12:57 PM
- Popular YouTube channel in danger of disappearing because of copyright claims Today 12:24 PM
- The Krassensteins’ Reddit AMA gets trolled off the internet Today 12:08 PM
- No, Trump didn’t break open the Pizzagate scandal in 2011 Today 11:23 AM
- Producer of anti-abortion film says Facebook refuses to run his ads Today 10:58 AM
- Ja Rule thinks he was also a victim of Fyre Fest Today 10:21 AM
- YouTube beef between RiceGum and H3H3 gets ugly—and personal Today 10:02 AM
- ‘Fox & Friends’ accidentally airs obituary graphic for Ruth Bader Ginsburg Today 9:40 AM
- Ocasio-Cortez helps Donkey Kong Twitch streamer raise money for trans rights Today 8:09 AM
- ‘Soni’ is a smart crime drama with poignant observations on inequality Today 7:00 AM
- How to watch ‘Arrow’ online for free Today 7:00 AM
- How a Barron Trump time traveling conspiracy keeps going viral Today 6:30 AM
- Swipe This! Will I be happier if I quit social media? Today 6:30 AM
Five of the six Avengers got the tattoo—and then they tattooed the artist.
The Lord of the Rings cast famously got matching tattoos after they finished filming the trilogy back-to-back, and with Avengers 4 arriving next year, some of Marvel’s biggest heroes have now decided to get matching tattoos of their own.
Five of the six actors who played the original Avengers—Robert Downey, Jr., Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth, Scarlett Johansson, and Jeremy Renner—all got a special Avengers tattoo designed by East Side Ink Tattoo’s Joshua Lord. (Mark Ruffalo was the only Avenger to skip out.) The tattoo is a simple one: It’s the Avengers “A” with an arrow intertwined with the number “6.” But for the actors, who’ve been part of that team since 2012’s The Avengers (and part of the MCU even before that), it’s marking the end of an era.
Oh man!!! I can finally post this!!! It’s revealed by the man himself! Avengers Assemble!!! Thank you all for the best time ever. @robertdowneyjr @renner4real @chrishemsworth #scarlettjohansson #chrisevans @avengers #avengersinfinitywar #avengerstattoo #ironman #blackwidow #captainamerica #thor #hawkeye #tracer @eastsideinktattoo @jimmy_rich !!!!
A post shared by Josh Lord (@joshualord) on
According to Downey Jr., Johansson got the idea for the original Avengers to get a matching tattoo. But getting it turned out to be easier said than done, logistically. Even in the midst of promoting Avengers: Infinity War, they were still scattered across the country. Johansson and Evans—who’s currently performing in Lobby Hero—had the tattoo done in New York while Lord flew to Los Angeles to tattoo Downey Jr., Renner, and eventually Hemsworth.
But then each of the Avengers turned the tattoo gun on Lord, who ended up being the sixth person to receive the tattoo after Mark Ruffalo didn’t join in.
“And each one of us drew a line on the artist with his own tattoo gun and it was a total massacre,” Downey Jr. told Entertainment Weekly. “Each of us contributed to giving the tattoo artist the sixth tattoo that he designed for us.”
The Avengers have plenty of talents and powers between each of them, but tattooing was probably never one of them. Still, it mostly turned out alright.
And even Evans is able to look back and admire his work.
Thanks for the ink, Joshua Lorde!(and for letting all of us maim you in return) Love to @RobertDowneyJr @Renner4Real @chrishemsworth Scarlett (we just need to get Ruffalo blackout drunk) ❤️ pic.twitter.com/mNtJ6xCyOP
— Chris Evans (@ChrisEvans) May 8, 2018
We don’t know how Avengers 4 will fare for any of our heroes, but after all the dust is settled, they’ll always have their tattoos.
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.