- ‘Terminator 2’s John Connor will return for ‘Terminator: Dark Fate’ 8 Years Ago
- What are all these ‘Game of Thrones’ fans supposed to do now? 8 Years Ago
- The new ‘Cats’ trailer is here to make you want to claw your eyes out Thursday 7:59 PM
- Bella Thorne claims Tana Mongeau ‘broke girl code’ in a series of messy tweets Thursday 7:00 PM
- Redditors keep this data engineer’s plants alive for him Thursday 5:20 PM
- Professor writes article defending ‘Asian romantic preference’—and no one is here for it Thursday 4:57 PM
- Ditch Pornhub and support adult content creators instead Thursday 4:46 PM
- Fans grieve Kyoto Animation Studio fire with #PrayforKyoAni Thursday 4:18 PM
- Netflix’s ‘Secret Obsession’ isn’t just terrible—it’s boring as hell Thursday 3:30 PM
- Instagram expands experiment of hiding likes to 6 more countries Thursday 3:20 PM
- Man asks woman to stop speaking Spanish on a plane—and bystanders start speaking Spanish Thursday 12:55 PM
- Schumer calls on FBI, FTC to investigate FaceApp Thursday 12:41 PM
- Netflix loses subscribers—but hopes some tentpole shows can save it Thursday 12:10 PM
- Man utterly roasted for saying women can’t ask for equality in revealing clothing Thursday 12:07 PM
- Instagram struggles to remove photos of Bianca Devins’ dead body Thursday 11:14 AM
Reddit co-founder Alexis Ohanian reveals the origins of the site’s logo.
Reddit co-founder Alexis Ohanian revealed the origins of the social news site’s logo for the first time today, showing that, at one point, the site’s name had twice the “Ts” half the “Ds”, and a whole lot of red.
Ohanian demonstrated the logo’s evolution in a graphical timeline, which he posted on his Google+ page this morning.
Ohanian designed the logo in 2005 when he and co-founder Steve Huffman were still undergraduates at the University of Virginia.
As for the Reddit mascot itself, that was quite literally born from a doodle:
“I was bored in marketing class my senior year of college at UVA and doodled the alien in the margins of my notebook,” Ohanian wrote in a Reddit thread last month.
The Reddit logo has seen dozens of incarnations. Prior to leaving in 2009, Ohanian would frequently draw unique logos for holidays or other special events. Now an entire section exists on the site for users to submit their own logos, the best of which Reddit admins sometimes allow to briefly grace the site’s front page.
Ohanian, who returned to Reddit this year after a two year absence, has made a habit of designing popular mascots for his projects. These include the Hipmunk chipmunk and the Breadpig pig (Ohanian revealed the origins of the Hipmunk logo earlier this week on Google+. That post’s popularity inspired him to follow up with his Reddit post today).
All three of the mascots feature on Ohanian’s profile picture for both Twitter and Google+. For Ohanian, the creatures aren’t just fun. They’re serious business.
In an interview with Inc magazine earlier this year, Ohanian explained why a good mascot is important for any business:
“You don’t ever have to worry about your mascot going on a coke binge with hookers like Charlie Sheen. Not that Steve and I would do that, but I actually really like the fact that I can go to Reddit meet-ups and most people have no idea what I look like. I want people to associate their experience with this infallible animated creature.”
Kevin Morris is a veteran web reporter and editor who specializes in longform journalism. He led the Daily Dot’s esports vertical and, following its acquisition by GAMURS in late 2016, launched Dot Esports, where he serves as the site’s editor-in-chief.