- Actor Amanda Seales pushes back on #FreeRodneyReed movement Monday 10:58 PM
- Netflix thriller ‘Earthquake Bird’ can’t solve its own mystery Monday 4:45 PM
- Goop is selling an expensive ‘restraining arts’ BDSM kit Monday 4:17 PM
- Body positivity actress Lili Reinhart calls out Photoshopping app Monday 3:42 PM
- ‘Rick and Morty’ zeroes in on connections and leans into familiar territory Monday 3:30 PM
- People are sharing photos of how much they’ve changed in a decade Monday 2:30 PM
- A few of our favorite things on Newegg are on sale for Black Friday Monday 2:15 PM
- Disney adds ‘Bob’s Burgers’ movie back to release schedule after accidentally yanking it Monday 2:02 PM
- Ocasio-Cortez launches petition demanding Stephen Miller’s resignation Monday 1:24 PM
- Prince Andrew’s defense against child sex crimes stokes conspiracy theory flames Monday 1:20 PM
- More people may be looking to cancel Disney+ than Netflix Monday 1:09 PM
- Monday Night Football: How to stream Chiefs vs. Chargers live Monday 1:00 PM
- After days of deadly protests, Iran implements ‘largest internet shutdown ever’ Monday 12:55 PM
- ‘Disney Plus and thrust’ is apparently the new Netflix and Chill Monday 12:32 PM
- Woman fired, sued after coworker shared their sexts Monday 12:22 PM
Breaking (?!?): #QAnon reddit forum r/greatawakening has been pulled down for inciting violence. I guess all those fascism-embracing posts about eliminating and executing enemies were a bit much, even for reddit.https://t.co/TNqpWfT0EE— Mike Rothschild (@rothschildmd) September 12, 2018
In the announcement banning the subreddit, Reddit used the same language it has previously used to address subreddit bans—that the forum was “inciting violence.”
“As of September 12, r/greatawakening has been banned due to repeated violations of the terms of our content policy,” said a Reddit spokesperson told the Daily Dot. “We are very clear in our site terms of service that posting content that incites violence, disseminates personal information, or harasses will get users and communities banned from Reddit.”
In recent days, the forum had become obsessed with the death of Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) and the final straw for Reddit might have been Great Awakening’s continual pushing of a hoax story positing that McCain was actually executed for treason by the government. In this conspiracy theory, Ohio Gov. John Kasich (R) accidentally let it slip in a CNN interview by saying McCain was “put to death” rather than “put to rest.”
While Q never mentioned the story, it got extreme traction on Great Awakening, where numerous threads sprang up, with many getting pulled down quickly. The story had no mainstream footprint because it was clearly based on a slip of the tongue, but it seemed like a clear example of the movement extolling extra-judicial violence and the execution of a suspect without trial.
#QAnon believers are frothing over a clip of John Kasich saying "it's been 24 hours since John McCain was put to death." They think it's confirmation he was executed for treason, and his cancer was fake.— Mike Rothschild (@rothschildmd) September 6, 2018
Seems more likely he meant to say "laid to rest" and slipped. Shrug. pic.twitter.com/m0vR1Gmsju
Great Awakening is the second QAnon-specific forum to be banned by the platform.
In March, Reddit banned another QAnon-centric forum, r/CBTS_Stream, for “encouraging or inciting violence and posting personal and confidential information,” a similar reason given for the ban of r/GreatAwakening.
The r/CBTS_Stream subreddit, which stands for “Calm Before The Storm,” had more than 20,000 subscribers at the time of the ban, who would discuss the cryptic QAnon posts.
Reddit also banned a backup of the subreddit, r/The_GreatAwakening.
Additional reporting by Andrew Wyrich and Mike Rothschild.
David Covucci is the Layer 8 editor at the Daily Dot, covering the intersection of politics and the web. His work has appeared in Vice, the Huffington Post, Jezebel, Gothamist, and other publications. He is particularly interested in hearing any tips you have. Reach out at [email protected]