- Review: ‘Star Trek: Picard’ is a triumphant return for Patrick Stewart Today 5:00 AM
- ‘American Dirt’ controversy inspires meme about Latinx stereotypes in literature Wednesday 9:02 PM
- What is the TikTok ‘flex challenge’? Wednesday 8:03 PM
- GoFundMe to send ‘Target Tori’ on vacation raises more than $30K Wednesday 6:54 PM
- Furries stop domestic assault in viral video Wednesday 6:10 PM
- Gritty under police investigation for allegedly punching a teen fan Wednesday 6:04 PM
- Twitter users throw animal parties with emoji in new meme Wednesday 5:21 PM
- Woman who went viral supporting Soleimani killing exposed as Libyan militia lobbyist Wednesday 5:01 PM
- Jeff Bezos subtweets Saudi prince following phone hack report Wednesday 3:29 PM
- ‘Yeah, good. OK’ Bernie Sanders meme is a new way to dismiss people Wednesday 3:10 PM
- ‘Vanderpump Rules’ recap: Petty displays of affection Wednesday 2:12 PM
- Makeup artist transforms into Timothée Chalamet on TikTok Wednesday 1:54 PM
- Iguanas are falling from trees—and people are selling them online for food Wednesday 1:02 PM
- 75,000 sign petition to fire Wendy Williams after ‘cleft lip’ comment about Joaquin Phoenix Wednesday 12:30 PM
- Kim Kardashian says Kylie Jenner’s setting spray is ‘cheap sh*t’ Wednesday 11:59 AM
Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden bit down on his wife’s finger, creating a very awkward moment during his ‘No Malarkey!’ campaign trail on Saturday.
The puzzling gesture was caught on video and has become a viral meme on Twitter. The video shows his wife, Jill Biden, introducing her husband to a crowd in Iowa. The former vice president then affectionately catches the top of her index finger in his mouth. His wife laughs it off and continues on with her introduction.
YOU CAN'T MAKE THIS UP.— Steve Guest (@SteveGuest) November 30, 2019
Joe Biden just NIBBLED on his wife's finger at a campaign stop in Iowa. pic.twitter.com/PcCqTMPJez
Twitter responded with sheer bewilderment at his choice display.
“Joe Biden sucked on his wife’s finger at a campaign rally as she was giving a speech today. that’s it. i have no joke to make about this,” Twitter user @hasanthehun wrote.
joe biden sucked on his wife’s finger at a campaign rally as she was giving a speech today. that’s it. i have no joke to make about this. pic.twitter.com/Ehf3VxnPVi— hasanabi (@hasanthehun) December 1, 2019
“You don’t have to do this, Joe, you really don’t.” Barack Obama https://t.co/tKkXvKXgHF— IWV (@IWV) December 1, 2019
Journalist Ashley Feinberg was in awe of Biden’s precision and quick reflexes.
“One thing that’s particularly amazing about the video of the bite is just how much finger he actually managed to get into his mouth in that split second,” Feinberg tweeted. “The entire upper third of the finger, directly in the center of the mouth.”
the entire upper third of the finger, directly in the center of the mouth pic.twitter.com/WVtuRCMDqn— Ashley Feinberg (@ashleyfeinberg) December 1, 2019
But some are a bit disgusted by the incident.
“WHAT SPECIES WOULD DO THIS TO A HUMAN PERSON CAMPAIGNING FOR THEM,” Twitter user @kosherPQ wrote.
WHAT SPECIES WOULD DO THIS TO A HUMAN PERSON CAMPAIGNING FOR THEM AT THAT MOENT— rif🏴🌉weed perp (@kosherPQ) December 1, 2019
People shared their own theories for what caused the 77-year-old to react in this manner.
“#VampireJoe2020,” Twitter user @SardoTheArtist responded, joking that we just might have a vampire running in the presidential race.
Twitter user @cCurryKid wondered if there may be some mind control at play.
“I really don’t want to make a joke here… but I do wonder if this is some kinda Manchurian candidate thing, and she is really the one who wants to be in the White House,” they wrote.
i really don't want to make a joke here... but i do wonder if this is some kinda manchurian candidate thing and she is really the one who wants to be in the white house— Curry Kid (@cCurryKid) December 1, 2019
But more than anything, there were a lot of jokes.
“You gotta take your girl on cute little dates like this and nibble her fingers every now and then,” Twitter user @willmenaker wrote.
You gotta take your girl on cute little dates like this and nibble her fingers every now and then 😜🙈❣️ pic.twitter.com/TGMyFRzUm4— Will🧙♂️Menaker (@willmenaker) December 1, 2019
Miss me with the Biden finger jokes. Nothing funny about finding a life partner who you love, growing together, having your little jokes that only the two of you get, sharing flirty moments like you’re on your first date, having the stamina to go extra rounds in the bedroom— Adam Friedland (@AdamFriedland) December 1, 2019
Tiffanie Drayton is a geek culture and lifestyle reporter whose work covers everything from gender and race to anime and Xbox. Her work has appeared in Complex, Salon, Marie Claire, Playboy, and elsewhere.