A woman in a hospital gown talking to camera.


‘I just wanted lunch’: TikToker says Applebee’s cleaning spray landed her in the hospital

She says she was still charged for the meal.


Rachel Kiley


Published Nov 2, 2021   Updated Nov 2, 2021, 1:43 pm CDT

A TikToker is expressing her frustration with Applebee’s after she says the cleaning solution used at one of the restaurant chain’s locations triggered allergies that landed her in the intensive care unit.

Sarah (@i_swear_i_can_explain) has been posting videos from the hospital following a double date at one of the franchise locations. Dressed in a hospital gown and hooked up to machines, she claimed that one of the workers was spraying down a table nearby and wound up spraying her, as well.

She said she informed the manager that something in the spray triggered an allergic reaction but was told that she was “fine.” 

Sarah then reported “having hives, throwing up, coughing, almost passing out,” before going to her car to grab her EpiPen as she was going into anaphylactic shock.

She said she left the meal partway through and got to the hospital safely — but not before the waitress brought them their bill.


yes yes i know. it’s ANOTHER tiktok but im still in the hospital & not doing too great so I’m coping :) honestly @applebees you suck. #tagthembelow #fyp #foryoupage #applebeesbarandgrill #rude #inconsiderate #anaphylaxis #epipens #TheHarderTheyFall #allergicreaction #hospitalstays #day3

♬ original sound – Kori

Applebee’s has been tagged repeatedly in the comments section of Sarah’s videos as viewers try to help her get an explanation for what happened.

“Allergies or not they shouldn’t be spraying it down with anyone in that close of a proximity,” wrote @_bwitchez_.

“As an ex server, we’re told to NOT spray anything when there’s patrons around you,” @a.k.a.taylor shared.

Several suggested that Sarah sue over the incident: “Easy open-shut case where you’ll be compensated for your hospital bills, any missed time from work, and pain and suffering,” one viewer said.

Sarah wrote in the comments that she is looking into retaining a lawyer and pursuing potential damages.

“I just wanted lunch not to spend Halloween in the ER & ICU,” she said.

The Daily Dot has reached out to Sarah via TikTok comment and Applebee’s via email.

Today’s Top Stories

‘If I saw this at a local Subway, I would not be bothered’: Subway worker makes sandwiches with baby strapped to chest in viral TikTok
Viral TikTok of flyers left in apartment doors sparks theories
Female soldier calls out military’s double standards for weight, sparking debate in viral TikTok
Sign up to receive the Daily Dot’s Internet Insider newsletter for urgent news from the frontline of online.
Share this article
*First Published: Nov 2, 2021, 1:35 pm CDT