- How to stream Atletico Madrid vs. Bayer Leverkusen in the Champions League Monday 11:00 PM
- Russian bots targeting Joe Biden on Instagram Monday 10:04 PM
- TikTok takes down 2 dozen ISIS accounts being used for recruitment Monday 9:38 PM
- British judge refuses to delay WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange’s extradition hearing Monday 8:01 PM
- Indicted Giuliani associate Lev Parnas’ private Instagram filled with Trump connections Monday 7:22 PM
- ‘Bomboclaat’ is the new ‘sco pa tu manaa’ Monday 7:00 PM
- Lori Harvey reportedly trying to walk away from car crash spawns memes Monday 6:00 PM
- In Netflix’s ‘Upstarts,’ Silicon Valley CEOs are the good guys Monday 4:35 PM
- This video of a tree struck by lightning is… relatable? Monday 4:13 PM
- How to watch ‘Keeping Faith’ Monday 3:37 PM
- ‘South Park’ at the center of $500 million streaming war Monday 3:16 PM
- Pizza Hut and Papa John’s employees pranked into talking to each other on the phone Monday 2:34 PM
- Twitter bullies brought Jordan Peterson to tears Monday 2:24 PM
- 25 last-minute Halloween costumes for those with no time to shop Monday 1:30 PM
- Krassensteins return to Twitter and are immediately suspended Monday 1:01 PM
A Facebook video that went viral on Wednesday shows a New York lawyer going off on a racist tirade and threatening to call immigration authorities—all because women at a lunch chain were speaking Spanish.
“Every person I listen to—he’s speaking it, she’s speaking it. This is America,” shouted the man, who has been identified by the Forward as Aaron Schlossberg, owner of a Manhattan law firm.
Who this this bigot in Midtown Manhattan? What's his name?— Shaun King (@ShaunKing) May 16, 2018
Please share this.
Here he is harassing & insulting two women for speaking Spanish...TO EACH OTHER in the middle of Manhattan.
Trump has empowered ugly white people like this to say whatever they feel like saying. pic.twitter.com/WbHlet6H7c
Gothamist reported that the video, originally posted by Edward Suazo, was filmed at a Fresh Kitchen in Manhattan. Suazo wrote on the post that his wife and her friend were speaking Spanish with the cashier when Schlossberg went off and threatened to call Immigration and Customs Enforcement.
“Your clients and your staff are speaking Spanish to staff when they should be speaking English…” Schlossberg says to a manager in the video. “My guess is they’re undocumented, so my next call is to ICE to have each one of them taken out of my country. If they have the balls to come here and live off my money—I pay for their welfare. I pay for their ability to be here.”
Please let Attorney Aaron M. Schlossberg of Midtown Manhattan know I’m trying to get in touch with him. I have a few questions.— Shaun King (@ShaunKing) May 16, 2018
If you reach him, ask how often he eats at the Fresh Kitchen next door to his office and if he has a problem with people speaking Spanish there. pic.twitter.com/8pgQ6wZNzi
Black Lives Matter activist Shaun King pointed out that this was not the first time Schlossberg has been filmed for displaying bigotry. Last year, a viral video showed him at a pro-Trump rally aggressively shouting at pro-Palestinean counterprotesters.
According to the Forward, Schlossberg’s firm donated $500 to President Donald Trump’s campaign.
H/T the Forward
Kris Seavers is the IRL editor for the Daily Dot. Her work has appeared in Central Texas publications, including Austin Monthly and San Antonio Magazine, and on NPR.