- Man dragged for recording, posting video of neighbor being ‘killed’ instead of helping Saturday 4:14 PM
- How to stream Saints vs. Bears in Week 7 Saturday 3:25 PM
- How to stream Seahawks vs. Ravens in Week 7 Saturday 3:25 PM
- Are TikTok teens throwing up gang signs in their videos? Saturday 2:45 PM
- Anti-impeachment protesters believe ‘deep state’ tried to sabotage rally Saturday 12:51 PM
- How to stream 49ers vs. Redskins in Week 7 Saturday 12:00 PM
- How to stream Cardinals vs. Giants in Week 7 Saturday 12:00 PM
- How to stream Packers vs. Raiders in Week 7 Saturday 12:00 PM
- How to stream Vikings vs. Lions in Week 7 Saturday 12:00 PM
- How to stream Rams vs. Falcons in Week 7 Saturday 12:00 PM
- Billie Eilish fans think they figured out who stole her ring Saturday 11:32 AM
- ‘Give me candy’: Hailey Bieber mocked for defense of celebrating Halloween as a Christian Saturday 10:28 AM
- Aaron Paul predicted Jesse Pinkman’s fate on Reddit years ago Saturday 8:53 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Eli’ is a satisfyingly nasty blend of haunted houses and medical horror Saturday 7:00 AM
- Why 8chan’s founder is fighting to keep the infamous message board dead Saturday 6:30 AM
A now-viral video shows a man who seems to be so homophobic that he is struggling to climb–jump, rather–up steeper non-stairs, all so he doesn’t have to use rainbow stairs with pro-LGBTQ messages painted on them.
“Homophobes really are stupid. Just walk on the rainbow stairs dude,” Twitter user @DCHomos, who first shared the video, wrote. The nearly 30 second-long video now has millions of views and been shared thousands of times.
Homophobes really are stupid. Just walk on the rainbow stairs dude.— @DCHomos (@DCHomos) October 4, 2019
While there’s no way to prove whether this person was avoiding the stairs because of its messaging, it sure does seem that way. Many pointed out the symbolism of him going out of his way to avoid the stairs.
“Great metaphor for how they make their own lives more difficult in a world evolving around them,” Twitter user @IamIanJacob wrote.
Great metaphor for how they make their own lives more difficult in a world evolving around them.— ian jacob (@IamIanJacob) October 4, 2019
Or a good way to get unnecessarily tired and pull a tendon in your crotch.— smartz118 (@smartz118) October 4, 2019
And, some actually enjoyed watching the man struggle.
“I enjoyed watching him struggle. when you’re overtly homophobic it requires more work. shows directly how much energy people waste hating a group when there’s an easier option,” Twitter user @mikahxo wrote.
i enjoyed watching him struggle. when you’re overtly homophobic it requires more work. shows directly how much energy people waste hating a group when there’s an easier option— mikah thee stallion (@mikahxo) October 4, 2019
Could the rainbow stairs be seen as the easy path?— Rayon Power (@rayon_power) October 5, 2019
Would that imply that not being gay is more difficult?
Stay away from people like this.— George M Johnson (@IamGMJohnson) October 5, 2019
Anyone willing to oppress themselves will certainly not think twice about harming you as a queer person. https://t.co/YXXj0F1V0j
People couldn’t pass up the opportunity to crack jokes.
“He knows walking on rainbow stairs could make him gay. That’s how it happened to me, walked on rainbow stairs and kissed the first cute guy I saw. Before I was straight, at the top I was a bottom. lol,” Twitter user @AlanT101 wrote.
“No rainbow stairs for me but I’ll accept a stroke.”— Kym W ✨💫🌟 (@kymwill7144) October 5, 2019
He knows walking on rainbow stairs could make him gay.— Alan T (@AlanT101) October 4, 2019
That's how it happened to me, walked on rainbow stairs and kissed the first cute guy I saw. Before I was straight, at the top I was a bottom. lol
How to get rid of homophobes:— Kingly A20 (@Kingly0729) October 5, 2019
1. Set up rainbow bridge
2. Set up extremely dangerous and deadly alternative bridge
Maybe he was trying to *exercise is demons. pic.twitter.com/TdxMvdQQhw— The neck Rihanna stepped on (@VivanteFemme) October 5, 2019
Hopefully the video was made in jest, or its subject simply wanted to get a good workout in, as some users suggested. But, in our day and age, you can never be sure.
maybe he's just working on his glutes and thighs?— That Big Orange Kyuubi That Has Opinions (@HerrUberRat) October 4, 2019
don't shame the man for just trying to get in shape.
I think he’s trying to excercise— ♦️ (@616jude) October 5, 2019
at first i thought he was getting some stair work in, but who knows what he was doing. maybe he's just challenged in some way. seems like an awful lot of effort to go through for nothing.— Dr. Rob RPh, JD (@BShakakalaka) October 5, 2019
Tbh tho if I was wearing what he was wearing and it was the same climate, I'd probably take those steps too it's friggin hot and I'd stick to the walls. But I've love to trot on those stairs if it wasn't too sunny— Cummy Bunny (@CummyBuns) October 5, 2019
I think this was made in satire. Although I am biased since I do have sense of humor instead of a sense of outrage.— Granola Bob (@GranolaBob) October 4, 2019
He didnt. Its a Joke.— E-Mann-zipation (@E_Mann_zipation) October 5, 2019
There's no way this was anything but a joke. It was recorded too neatly to not be.— yeet (@NotImpo11551054) October 4, 2019
Samira Sadeque is a New York-based journalist reporting on immigration, sexual violence, and mental health, and will sometimes write about memes and dinosaurs too. Her work also appears in Reuters, NPR, and NBC among other publications. She graduated from Columbia Journalism School, and her work has been nominated for SAJA awards. Follow: @Samideque