- How to watch ‘City on a Hill’ for free 7 Years Ago
- How to watch ‘Euphoria’ for free Today 7:00 AM
- Meet the home brewer turning beer into a case for net neutrality Today 6:30 AM
- How to watch the U.S. vs. Chile at the World Cup for free Today 6:15 AM
- 15 teen movies on Netflix that will make you laugh, cry, and cringe Today 6:00 AM
- How to watch Estrella TV online for free Today 5:00 AM
- People are roasting this ‘traditional’ take on marriage with a hilarious meme Saturday 5:17 PM
- The internet just collectively realized that the Neopets of the world must be hungry Saturday 4:00 PM
- Alt-right message board 8chan was served a search warrant Saturday 3:06 PM
- O.J. Simpson just joined Twitter in the most bizarre fashion Saturday 1:20 PM
- Prominent phone-hacking firm says it can unlock any iPhone for law enforcement Saturday 12:39 PM
- Hundreds of police officers belong to extremist Facebook groups, investigation finds Saturday 9:31 AM
- How to watch Tyson Fury vs. Tom Schwarz online Saturday 8:00 AM
- ‘Late Night’ is a disappointing, tepid comedy Saturday 7:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Love It or List It’ for free Saturday 7:00 AM
YouTube goes big in 2011.
From partnering with Disney to the creation of new professional channels, YouTube experienced exponential growth and enhanced mainstream coverage in 2011—a trend that will only increase with the site’s recent redesign.
In total, YouTube received more than 1 trillion playbacks this year, or roughly “140 views for every person on the earth,” according an official post.
A significant portion of those views came from the site’s 10 most popular videos, an enthralling collection of cover songs, parody raps by the Lonely Island, and, of course, the Hater’s Person of the Year, Rebecca Black, who personally introduced the list in a company video.
The Daily Dot compiled YouTube’s biggest hits from 2011 in the following Storify. Also worth noting, however, is YouTube’s genre-specific collection of most-watched videos.
- Zach Wahls Speaks About Family was the most-watched political video
- Japan Earthquake: Helicopter aerial view
- Video of giant tsunami waves was the most-watched news video
- 25 Ways to Wear a Scarf in 4.5 Minutes! was the most watched “how-to” video
- iPhone 5 Concept Features was the most-watched science/technology video
- Immortals was the most-watched movie trailer
- Mountain Biker gets taken out by Buck was the most-watched sports video
Austin Powell is the managing editor of the Daily Dot. His work focuses on the intersection of entertainment and technology. He previously served as a music columnist for the Austin Chronicle and is the co-author of The Austin Chronicle Music Anthology.