- Mahershala Ali’s ‘Blade’ movie won’t arrive until Phase 5 of the MCU 1 Year Ago
- Natalie Portman isn’t playing ‘female Thor’—she’s ‘Mighty Thor’ 1 Year Ago
- How to watch ‘Breaking Bad’ online 1 Year Ago
- Controversial Instagram influencer plans event called ‘The Scam’ 1 Year Ago
- How to clear your search history on Instagram Today 6:00 AM
- How to stream the Leagues Cup competition between MLS and Liga MX Today 5:00 AM
- Here’s why you shouldn’t buy a Nintendo Switch until mid-August Monday 5:11 PM
- Man blasted for making his coworkers babysit his child Monday 5:07 PM
- Pete Buttigieg’s country radio interview was blocked from the air Monday 4:35 PM
- 15-year-old Smash Bros. prodigy caught using racist slur in private Discord server Monday 3:47 PM
- Instagram users who post pet pictures more likely to get hacked Monday 3:45 PM
- Post-Prime Day recap: Shipping delays, more sales, and a scam Monday 3:08 PM
- Jacob Wohl returns to Twitter … for now Monday 1:56 PM
- How to stream WWE Raw Reunion Monday 1:35 PM
- ‘I hope Trump deports you’: Woman goes on racist rant to Spanish speakers at a store Monday 1:24 PM
YouTube star under fire for posting video of monkey apparently smoking weed
PETA has taken notice.
A YouTube star with nearly 10 million subscribers posted a video to Instagram and Twitter that appeared to show him getting a monkey high on marijuana, and much of the internet is outraged. Some on Twitter and Instagram are also calling it animal abuse.
YouTuber VitalyzdTv, who has 9.6 million subscribers, posted the video below, in which a monkey takes a few hits from a bong with a number of people laughing in the background and asking the monkey, “You high, bro?”
Later, the monkey is filmed eating, and he’s asked, “Now, you got the munchies, huh?” The monkey is also filmed being tapped awake and asked if he wants to hit “the blunt, bro.”
The caption on the Instagram post reads, “When your friend smokes for the first time @cuteness.”
A post shared by Vitaly (@vitalyzdtv) on
As of this writing, the Instagram has nearly 700,000 page views. It’s been viewed more than 80,000 times on Twitter.
The YouTuber whose name is Vitaly Zdorovetskiy conducts prank and workout videos on his channel, which has accumulated more than 1.5 billion views. He’s been arrested for inciting a fake bomb threat, and he’s been arrested for interrupting pro sports events. He’s also been accused of making racist and sexist videos.
In his monkey video, people were livid, calling the stunt animal abuse.
I will do everything in my power to get your twitter page banned and charged with cruelty to animals— Shaun (@Shaun78088051) June 10, 2018
I can’t believe I used to support you and love your content 🙁— charley 🙂 (@charleypurdy) June 10, 2018
Not everybody, though, was appalled. Some thought it was funny.
People who smoke think this is hilarious, people who don't cry for PETA help shouting animal abuse. I'm dying from laughter lmao— Tomasz Lyson (@Tomasz_Lyson) June 10, 2018
Eventually, though, the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) was tagged on Twitter.
Responded PETA on Twitter: “Thanks for reporting this! We’ve passed it onto our Cruelty Investigations Department.”
- How to download your favorite YouTube videos
- Is YouTube TV really worth the cost?
- I paid $7 for Jake Paul to teach me how to be a social media influencer
- This is what happened when a woman tried to trick her Uber driver into a free ride
- YouTubers decimate a pool table by dropping a bowling ball on it from 150 feet up
Josh Katzowitz is a staff writer at the Daily Dot specializing in YouTube and boxing. His work has appeared in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, and Los Angeles Times. A longtime sports writer, he's covered the NFL for CBSSports.com and boxing for Forbes. His work has been noted twice in the Best American Sports Writing book series.