- Fans call out Madonna for edited Eurovision video Tuesday 9:36 PM
- Partnered Twitch streamer temporarily banned for airing troll’s racist message Tuesday 8:45 PM
- Reddit theory says fans are wrong about who won ‘Game of Thrones’ Tuesday 6:52 PM
- Elon Musk hires ‘absolute unit’ sheep meme creator to be Tesla’s social media manager Tuesday 6:12 PM
- Jason Momoa stands by his Khaleesi after the ‘Game of Thrones’ finale Tuesday 4:05 PM
- Airbnb, 23andMe partner for creepy heritage travel recommendations Tuesday 3:26 PM
- Rep. Katie Porter goes viral again for trouncing Ben Carson (updated) Tuesday 3:26 PM
- This deepfake takes Bill Hader’s Schwarzenegger impression to the next level Tuesday 2:58 PM
- Wanda Sykes rails against Trump and offers much-needed perspective in ‘Not Normal’ Tuesday 2:41 PM
- Man arrested after allegedly threatening to shoot YouTube employees Tuesday 2:13 PM
- Some House Dems are backing away from the Save the Internet Act Tuesday 1:40 PM
- Thousands sign petition calling for Danny DeVito to play Wolverine Tuesday 1:02 PM
- Jason Mitchell fired from ‘Desperados’ and ‘The Chi’ after misconduct allegations Tuesday 12:36 PM
- Police raid Black woman’s house after white neighbor complains about loud Malcolm X speeches Tuesday 12:20 PM
- ‘Transfixed’ says it’s a ‘breakthrough’ series, but it still fetishizes trans bodies Tuesday 11:04 AM
Don’t miss all of your favorite cartoons.
Spongebob is officially old enough to vote in America, and it’s still going strong. That’s a testament to the enduring legacy of Nickelodeon. One of the best spots for kids shows out there, Nickelodeon is a familiar and fun choice if you’re a parent looking to keep the kids entertained, or if you just want to relive your favorite moments from Double Dare and Rocket Power. Here’s everything you need to know to watch a Nickelodeon live stream for free.
What is Nickelodeon?
Nickelodeon, or just “Nick,” launched in 1977 as the first major cable channel for kids aged 2-17. It effectively found its dominant footing by the early ’90s, establishing original iconic shows like Rugrats,Ren & Stimpy, and Hey, Arnold! In the late ’90s and early 2000s, the streak continued with the absolutely monolithic Spongebob Squarepants, goth kid starter pack Invader Zim, The Fairly Oddparents, and more long-form fare like Avatar: The Last Airbender. Today, you can still find Spongebob running circles around the programming schedule, alongside some newer favorites like Loud House, every toddler’s favorite Peppa Pig, live-action material like Henry Danger, and the holy grail of gross-out game shows, the Double Dare reboot.
Nickelodeon live stream: 3 ways to watch Nickelodeon online for free
Surprisingly, only three of the major live TV streaming services offer Nickelodeon, but the ones that do also provide free trials, so you can figure out which one works best for you and your family.
1) Sling TV
- Cost: $25-$40 per month (after a 7-day free trial)
- Sling TV devices: Amazon Fire TVs, Android Fire Stick, Apple TV, Android TV, Roku, Xbox One, Google Chromecast, Oculus Go, and iOS and Android devices
- Sling TV local channels: NBC, Fox (check your local availability here)
Sling TV is one of the better live TV streaming services, just not when it comes to Nickelodeon. There’s no option for the core Nickelodeon channel. It’s just not there, oddly enough. That said, the $25-per-month Sling Blue package offers Nick Jr. If you add on the $5-per-month Sling Kids package, you’ll also get NickToons and TeenNick. So that’s a few bases covered, but be sure to double check the shows you want are actually on those channels (Here’s a complete guide to Sling TV channels.)
Watch:: Is Sling TV Worth it?
- Cost: $16 per month
- Philo devices: Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire Stick and Fire TV, iOS and Android devices
Philo is the cheapest live TV streaming service, and when it comes to watching Nickelodeon online, it’s also the best. Philo not only gets you a Nickelodeon live stream, but you’ll also get Nick Jr. and TeenNick for your trouble, so all corners of the family are covered. You’ll also get strong, more adult options like BBC America, AMC, and Comedy Central. To sweeten the deal, you’ll also get free cloud DVR that lasts up to 30 days. (Here’s a complete guide to Philo channels.)
3) DirecTV Now
- Cost: $40-$75 per month (after a 7-day free trial)
- DirecTV Now devices: Roku, Apple TV, Google Chromecast, and Amazon Fire Stick
- Local channels: ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, the CW (enter your ZIP code here to check local availability)
DirecTV’s entry-level Live a Little package is one of the best choices out there for live TV streaming, offering more than 65 channels for just $40 per month. With that package, you’ll get your Nickelodeon live stream, plus Nick Jr. and TeenNick. You’ll get the bonus of Cartoon Network, all three Disney channels, and plenty of entertainment, news, and sports for the older family members. If you’re in the market for an HBO add-on, DirecTV Now offers it for just $5 a month. (You can view the full DirecTV Now channels list here.)
Game-changing feature: AT&T Unlimited customers can save $25 a month off every DirecTV Now package.
Other ways to watch Nickelodeon online
Nickelodeon site & app
Nickelodeon makes it easy to watch full episodes online a day after they air on TV. Simply go to Nickelodeon.com or the Nickelodeon iOS/Android app, find what you want to watch, and you’ll be prompted to enter a cable or stream provider account. If you have DirecTV Now or Philo, you’ll be able to watch anything offered on-demand. If you’re a Sling subscriber, you’re out of luck, unfortunately.
It’s worth noting that Nickelodeon has more episodes available for non-subscribers than most channels might. The downside is you’ll have to suffer through a few ads every 10 minutes or so, but that’s a small price to pay to catch up on your favorite shows.
New to cord-cutting? Here are our picks for the best movie streaming sites of 2018 and free live TV apps and channels. If you’re looking for a specific channel, here’s how to watch HBO, Showtime, Starz, Sundance TV, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3, ESPNU, Willow, AMC, FX, Fox News, Freeform, MSNBC, CNN, CNBC, FS1, TBS, TNT, Tennis Channel, Golf Channel, Syfy, HGTV, Cartoon Network/Adult Swim, Bravo, Lifetime, Discovery, PBS, the CW, BBC, CSPAN, NBA TV, MTV, Comedy Central, Food Network, TLC, HLN, A&E, Animal Planet, National Geographic, the Weather Channel, the History Channel, and NFL RedZone without cable, as well as free movies on YouTube. If you’re on the move, here’s how to watch Fox Sports Go and live stream NBC Sports.
The Daily Dot may receive a payment in connection with purchases of products or services featured in this article. Click here to learn more.
Joseph Knoop is a gaming writer for Daily Dot, a native Chicagoan, and a slave to all things Overwatch. He co-founded the college geek culture outlet ByteBSU, then interned at Game Informer, and now writes for a bunch websites his parents have never heard of.