Santa Claus. Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer. Buddy the Elf. All of these holiday legends will always play second fiddle when it comes to the eight-year-old Christmas film hero Kevin McCallister. After being accidentally abandoned at home in a world before cellphones and Wi-Fi, Kevin must face his own fears of never seeing his family again, but also outsmart the Wet Bandits, two goofy crooks played to the nines by Joe Pesci and Daniel Stern. What ensues is a heartwarming tale about family, Christmas, and the power of motherhood—it’s also a pretty awesome and hilarious hellscape to haunt the minds of any burglar. When Marv stepped barefoot on scattered ornaments, we all kind of felt it.
Chances are, you’ve seen the movie. There’s a good chance you saw it multiple times over the years. If you’re a cord-cutter, now you can watch the holiday classic featuring America’s Sweetheart Macaulay Culkin, John Williams’ score, and a John Candy cameo so charming it could probably cure a cold. Here’s everything you need to know to watch Home Alone online.
|HOW TO STREAM ‘HOME ALONE’|
|FANDANGO NOW||TRY NOW|
Home Alone cast
- Macaulay Culkin as Kevin McCallister
- Joe Pesci as Harry Lyme
- Daniel Stern as Marv Merchants
- John Heard as Peter McCallister
- Catherine O’Hara as Kate McCallister
- Roberts Blossom as Marley
- Angela Goethals as Linnie McCallister
- Devin Ratray as Buzz McCallister
- Gerry Bamman as Uncle Frank McCallister
- Terrie Snell as Aunt Leslie McCallister
- Hillary Wolf as Megan McCallister
- Larry Hankin as Officer Balzak
- John Candy as Gus Polinski
- Michael C. Maronna as Jeff McCallister
- Kristin Minter as Heather McCallister
- Daiana Campeanu as Sondra McCallister
- Jedidiah Cohen as Rod McCallister
- Kieran Culkin as Fuller McCallister
- Senta Moses as Tracy McCallister
- Anna Slotky as Brooke McCallister
- Jeffrey Wiseman as Mitch Murphy
- Virginia Smith as Aunt Georgette
- Matt Doherty as Steffan
How to watch Home Alone
Here are a few options for you to rent or buy Home Alone.
- Cost: $6.99/month or $69.99/year
- Devices: Amazon Fire Stick, Fire TV, Fire tablets, and Fire phone; Roku, Google TV, Nvidia Shield, Apple TV, Xbox One, Playstation 4
The long-awaited streaming service will also sport one of the most beloved libraries of streaming content online. This accounts for 500 Walt Disney Studios movies and 7,000 episodes Walt Disney Television. Productions from Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, and National Geographic, all being members of the Disney family will also be available, as well as 30 seasons of The Simpsons and Home Alone, Home Alone 2: Lost in New York, and the often overlooked Home Alone 3. Plus, like any streaming service worth its salt, there are exclusive original productions including Lady and the Tramp, Wandvision, Monsters at Work, and of course, The Mandalorian. One subscription works on up to four devices, and you can even download content directly to your device to watch anytime. You can also bundle it with Hulu and ESPN+ for only $12.99/month.
- Cost: $3.99 to rent/$9.99 to buy
- Devices: Amazon Fire Stick, Fire TV, Fire tablets, and Fire phone; Roku, Apple TV, Google TV, TiVo, Nvidia Shield TV, PlayStation 3 and 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Wii
The online retail giant is also one of the premier destinations for online streaming. It’s also one of the easiest ways watch Home Alone, no question. If you already have an Amazon account, buying in HD will take seconds, and you can watch it anywhere you stream Amazon Video, from Amazon Fire Stick to Roku.
3) Fandango Now
- Cost: $3.99 to rent/$13.99 to buy
- Devices: Samsung Smart TVs, internet browsers, iPad, iOS devices, Roku, Xbox One, Google Chromecast, Android, Visio Smart TVs
Fandango and movies go hand in hand, and not just when it comes to buying tickets online. Plenty of hits and classics are available in the Fandango Now library, along with full seasons of your favorite shows. Home Alone is available on Fandango Now in multiple formats. If you join Fandango VIP, you can rack up points to spend across Fandango and Fandango Now.
- Cost: $3.99 to rent/$9.99 to buy
- Devices: Samsung Smart TVs, Internet Browsers, iPad, iOS, Roku, Xbox One, Chromecast, Android, Visio Smart TVs, PlayStation
Vudu is a no-fuss way to rent movies online if you don’t want to bother signing up for anything. There’s a massive library of high-quality video content, including 4K movies. There are even piles of movies you can watch free as long as you sit through a few ads. Home Alone is available to buy right now–and would you believe it, it’s on sale.
4) Google Play
- Cost: $2.99-8.99
Google Play links to your Google account and media can be accessed from any Google Play-enabled device.
- Cost: $3.99-9.99
If you happen to prefer streaming on iOS devices, buying Home Alone on iTunes is your best bet.
The Daily Dot may receive a payment in connection with purchases of products or services featured in this article. Click here to learn more.