C.S. Lewis was a lay theologian, and his ideas on faith and humanity helped inspire his acclaimed series The Chronicles of Narnia. Imagine a world where a similar author was instead delighted more in physics, philosophy, and criticizing the corruption that comes with organized religion. The literary outcome would be the His Dark Materials series by Phillip Pullman.
In Pullman’s universe, which looks very much like our Victorian era, everyone is accompanied by an animal familiar that represents the human soul. At the center of this story in this fantastical world, is young orphan Lyra Belacqua, an orphan living at Jordan College, Oxford. Her dull drum day-t0-day is interrupted when she discovers a dark secret that involves her uncle Lord Asriel and the deviously secretive Marisa Coulter. In her adventures, Lyra faces off against the many dangers of the world, including the oppressive Magisterium, the world’s largest religion which exerts control over society. His Dark Materials, with its star-studded cast, will be the second adaptation of Pullman’s series after 2007 film The Golden Compass.
Here’s everything you need to know to watch His Dark Materials.
His Dark Materials cast
- Dafne Keen as Lyra Belacqua
- Ruth Wilson as Marisa Coulter
- Anne-Marie Duff as Ma Costa
- Clarke Peters as The Master/Dr. Carne
- James Cosmo as Farder Coram
- Ariyon Bakare as Lord Carlo Boreal
- Will Keen as Father MacPhail
- Lucian Msamati as John Faa
- Gary Lewis as Thorold
- Lewin Lloyd as Roger Parslow
- Daniel Frogson as Tony Costa
- James McAvoy as Lord Asriel Belacqua
- Lin-Manuel Miranda as Lee Scoresby
- Ruta Gedmintas as Serafina Pekkala
- Tyler Howitt as Billy Costa
- Simon Manyonda as Benjamin De Ruyter
- Mat Fraser as Raymond Van Gerrit
- Geoff Bell as Jack Verhoeven
- Georgina Campbell as Adele Starminster
- Ian Gelder as Librarian Scholar Charles
- Patrick Godfrey as Butler
- Philip Goldacre as Sub-Rector
- Richard Cunningham as Chaplain
- Morfydd Clark as Sister Clara
- Ian Peck as Cardinal Sturrock
- David Langham as Father Garret
- Ray Fearon as Mr. Hanway
- Omid Djalili as Dr. Lanselius
What channel is His Dark Materials on?
His Dark Materials is available exclusively on HBO. The first season will comprise of 8 episodes.
When does His Dark Materials air?
His Dark Materials premiers on Monday, November 4 at 9pm ET. Subsequent episodes will air on Mondays at the same time.
How to watch His Dark Materials
- Cost: $14.99 per month for HBO | $119 per year for Prime
- Devices: Amazon Fire Stick, Fire TV, Fire tablets, and Fire phone; Roku, Google TV, TiVo, Nvidia Shield, PlayStation 3 and 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Wii
HBO is one of the best standalone channels available for purchase on Amazon Prime Video. If you’re a Prime member, it’s a convenient way to stream HBO hits like Veep, True Detective, and Game of Thrones. You’ll have access to live streaming and on-demand, so you can catch up on old episodes if you need to rewatch.
2) HBO Now
- Cost: $14.99 per month
- Devices: Amazon Fire TV, Fire TV Stick, and Fire TV Cube, Android TV, Apple TV, PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4, Roku, Samsung Smart TV, Xbox One and Xbox 360.
If all you want is HBO, its proprietary on-demand service HBO Now will give you instant access to the channel’s entire history of his shows, movies, and documentaries, along with the ability to live stream new shows and specials. You’ll never run out of things to watch.
- The best movies on HBO Go and HBO Now
- The best HBO documentaries
- The best new movies on HBO: 2018 new releases
3) Hulu and Hulu with Live TV
- Cost: $7.99-$11.99 for Hulu or $54.99 per month for Hulu with Live TV | $14.99 per month for HBO
- Hulu devices: Roku, Apple TV, Google Chromecast, Amazon Fire Stick and Fire TV, Xbox One, Xbox 360, Nintendo Switch, and iOS and Android devices
- Local channels: ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC, the CW (check your local availability here)
Adding HBO to your Hulu account is easy. If you’re looking for an online cable package that comes with all that great Hulu on-demand content, Hulu with Live TV is a great offer at a great price. You’ll have almost 60 channels to flip through, including HGTV, a full suite of ESPN channels, Cartoon Network, FX, and even deep cuts like Nat Geo Wild and Syfy. Whichever Hulu package you choose, adding HBO will cost $14.99 a month after your free trial expires. (Here’s the complete list of Hulu Live TV channels.)
- The best new movies on Hulu: 2018 new releases to watch
- The best thrillers on Hulu
- Funny movies on Hulu when you need a good laugh
- 10 sad movies on Hulu guaranteed to make you cry
The Daily Dot may receive a payment in connection with purchases of products or services featured in this article. Click here to learn more.