- Facebook and Google could be tracking you on porn sites Today 1:42 PM
- 7 best sites for psychic love readings Today 1:20 PM
- Driver demonstrates why you always need to read road signs Today 12:58 PM
- Area 51 remix video proves it’s the summer of Lil Nas X Today 12:26 PM
- ‘ICE will come’: Convenience store clerk threatens customers speaking Spanish Today 12:11 PM
- Rand Paul dodges questions about 9/11 Victims Fund, says ‘watch Fox News’ Today 11:51 AM
- Report: ‘Stranger Things’ season 4 to begin shooting in October Today 11:03 AM
- AT&T paid Michael Cohen to consult on net neutrality, FBI documents show Today 9:10 AM
- Mysterio’s ruse changes on a second viewing of ‘Far From Home’ Today 9:06 AM
- Twitter overturns Barrett Brown’s third permanent suspension Today 8:49 AM
- How to live stream Liga MX Today 7:56 AM
- The QBaby’s parents are already trying to profit off their kid’s fame Today 7:45 AM
- How do 4DX movies work? Today 7:00 AM
- ‘Terminator 2’s John Connor will return for ‘Terminator: Dark Fate’ Today 6:41 AM
- What are all these ‘Game of Thrones’ fans supposed to do now? Today 6:00 AM
You’ve got plenty of options.
Downtown Abbey may have the name recognition, but other shows capitalizing on PBS-style storytelling have captivated drama lovers everywhere. Chief among them is A Place to Call Home, the Australian melodrama set in the post-WWII period, complete with all the heartache, family drama, and wealthy matriarch. Here’s how to watch A Place to Call Home online for free.
How to watch A Place to Call Home for free
Thankfully, there’s nothing heartbreaking about setting yourself up to watch A Place to Call Home. The show is available on a number of streaming services that will let you enjoy yourself without bending the knee to a cable company. These first two options start with a seven-day free trial.
Cost: $4.99 per month for Acorn TV on Amazon (after a 7-day free trial) |$2.99 per individual episode | $19.99 per season | Season 6 only available through Acorn TV on Amazon.
Devices: Amazon Fire Stick, Fire TV, Fire tablets, and Fire phone; Roku, Google TV, TiVo, Nvidia Shield, PlayStation 3 and 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Wii
If you’re not ready to fully commit to A Place to Call Home, Amazon Prime Video lets you dip your toes in. Even better, if you’re looking for a free way to get started, you can start a seven-day free trial of Acorn TV (the home network of A Place to Call Home) through Amazon Prime Video. After the free trial period, it’s just $4.99 per month for Acorn TV on Amazon. That way, you can finish up the series with season 6 for a lower price than other monthly subscriptions. If you’re using an Amazon Fire TV, you don’t need a Prime subscription to get the app, but you’ll still have to pay the monthly fee.
2) Acorn TV
Cost: $4.99 per month (after 7-day free trial)
Devices: Roku, Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick, Apple TV (tvOS version), iPhone/iPad, Android mobile and tablets, Chromecast, and on laptops, desktops, and tablets via browser
If you love your European high society dramas, Acorn TV might be a godsend for you. For just $4.99 a month, you’ll get access to every episode of A Place to Call Home, plus similar series like Doc Martin, Murdoch Mysteries, The Brokenwood Mysteries, and more. It’s a healthy mix of older classics, popular newcomers, and some off-the-beaten-path titles. If you’re OK with treating A Place to Call Home like any other streamed content (you only ever “own” it while paying for it each month), then Acorn TV is one of the best options.
Other ways to watch A Place to Call Home online
Cost: $1.99 per episode, or $22.99 to $24.99 per season. Season 6 unavailable.
Devices: Anywhere YouTube is available.
On YouTube, watching A Place to Call Home is just as easy as searching for a viral video. You won’t find season 6 there, and the per-season cost is relatively high, but the individual episodes on YouTube are priced cheaper than Amazon. So if it’s a matter of checking the series out, YouTube might be the place to try.
- The 5 best YouTube Premium original movies
- Full movies on YouTube: How to find old movies to watch
- YouTube Premium is essential for YouTube fans
Cost: $2.99 per episode or $19.99 per season
Devices: All Apple or iOS devices, including Apple TV
If you’d rather own your copies of A Place to Call Home, and if you prefer your iOS or Apple devices, then you can’t go wrong with iTunes. There’s no season 6 yet, but you can get individual episodes for $2.99 or full seasons up to season 5 for $19.99.
5) Google Play
Cost: $1.99 per episode, or $17.99 to $19.99 per season
Devices: Android devices, Chromecast, Samsung Smart TV, LG Smart TV, Android TV, Roku, Vizio Smart TV
Google Play is another way to test the waters of A Place to Call Home, and it thankfully doesn’t cost more than $19.99 for a full season. The landing page includes text that says season 6 “isn’t available yet,” so it may arrive on the service at a later date.
New to cord-cutting? Here are our picks for the best movie streaming sites of 2018 and free live TV apps and channels. If you’re looking for a specific channel, here’s how to watch HBO, Showtime, Starz, Sundance TV, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3, ESPNU, Willow, AMC, FX, Fox News, Freeform, MSNBC, CNN, CNBC, FS1, TBS, TNT, Tennis Channel, Golf Channel, Syfy, HGTV, Cartoon Network/Adult Swim, Bravo, Lifetime, Discovery, PBS, the CW, BBC, CSPAN, NBA TV, MTV, Comedy Central, Food Network, TLC, HLN, A&E, Animal Planet, National Geographic, the Weather Channel, the History Channel, and NFL RedZone without cable, as well as free movies on YouTube. If you’re on the move, here’s how to watch Fox Sports Go and live stream NBC Sports.
The Daily Dot may receive a payment in connection with purchases of products or services featured in this article. Click here to learn more.
Joseph Knoop is a gaming writer for Daily Dot, a native Chicagoan, and a slave to all things Overwatch. He co-founded the college geek culture outlet ByteBSU, then interned at Game Informer, and now writes for a bunch websites his parents have never heard of.