- Watch out! Tonight’s episode of ‘Game of Thrones’ leaked online 1 Year Ago
- Videos of people working may be the best thing on TikTok right now Today 1:46 PM
- How to watch ‘Game of Thrones’ season 8, episode 2 for free Today 7:00 AM
- Gendry is making a new weapon for Arya Stark—but what is it? Today 6:30 AM
- The live-action Halo series could be Showtime’s most ambitious project yet Today 6:00 AM
- How to watch Turner Classic Movies for free Today 5:30 AM
- How to watch Real Madrid vs. Athletic Bilbao online for free Today 5:00 AM
- ‘Star Trek’s Jonathan Frakes calls out your lies with this new meme Saturday 3:46 PM
- #JusticeForLucca trends after video shows police slam Black teen’s head into pavement Saturday 3:11 PM
- The internet is shocked to learn that Goombas do, in fact, have arms Saturday 2:02 PM
- PayPal, GoFundMe cut off armed militia that detains migrants at border Saturday 1:16 PM
- Barnwood theft may be on the rise because of ‘Fixer Upper’—and fans aren’t having it Saturday 12:23 PM
- Literary Twitter calls out Dzanc Books for Islamophobic, racist novel Saturday 11:40 AM
- How to watch Crawford vs. Khan online Saturday 10:00 AM
- Beyoncé has 2 more projects coming to Netflix after ‘Homecoming’ Saturday 9:53 AM
Victoria’s Secret models caught singing the N-word in backstage footage
Less than a day after Victoria’s Secret drew criticism for airing footage of model Ming Xi falling on the runway and then crying backstage at the fashion show, some of its models are catching heat themselves.
Backstage footage surfaced online last night showing several models saying the N-word before the show.
Pop Crave, an entertainment news Twitter account, posted a video showing the models and members of the production crew gearing up for the annually televised show. As crew members dance around the room, the camera pans around on the models, the majority of whom are white, singing along to Cardi B’s popular summer hit “Bodak Yellow.” The N-word can be heard right before the lyrics “Don’t get comfortable.”
The Victoria's Secret angels singing Cardi B's "Bodak Yellow" backstage. pic.twitter.com/gGFbNBnQLI
— Pop Crave (@PopCrave) November 29, 2017
Users were quick to call the models out, with some even suggesting the fashion retailer fire the models.
cut a what off? pic.twitter.com/4JnmeQ9Hj0
— ♕ sky (@dinahthedon) November 29, 2017
I hear “nigga” and I don’t see any black models. https://t.co/PL5j5adBcW
— ✷𝕿𝕽𝕬𝕻𝕮𝕽𝖄✷ (@trapcry) November 29, 2017
Hearing these "niggas" but not seeing no niggas pic.twitter.com/xYPAMb0djE
— ♡♡♡ (@bbycalypso) November 29, 2017
everyone but her sis skipped the whole line! pic.twitter.com/x8ObiyuQBi
— miamicutie1996 (@laurmanisman) November 29, 2017
— Jasmyn Lawson (@JasmynBeKnowing) November 29, 2017
Victoria’s Secret has not responded to the video.
It’s been a rough year for the company’s annual fashion event, which was held in Shanghai. Four models were denied work visas by China, thus barred from walking in the show, and neither Gigi Hadid nor Taylor Swift showed up.
Earlier this year, Hadid came under fire after a video surfaced online of the model squinting her eyes while holding a cookie shaped like Buddha.
Victoria’s Secret has long been plagued by accusations of cultural appropriation and increasing criticism about the lack of body diversity in its models. If this backstage video incident isn’t handled right, it could be another strike against a company with waning relevancy amongst millennials.
Danielle Ransom is a journalist who has worked as a researcher for CNN, NBC's KXAN-TV, CBS' KEYE-TV.