- Jeremy Corbyn Rickrolls everyone ahead of British election Today 10:18 AM
- Trisha Paytas denies accidentally exposing herself on TikTok Today 10:04 AM
- Report: Barr wants tech antitrust probe wrapped up in 2020 Today 9:59 AM
- ‘Zybourne Clock’ original art is selling for over $4,000 on eBay Today 9:11 AM
- What is TikTok famous club, and can you trust it? Today 9:03 AM
- ‘John Wick 4’ and ‘The Matrix 4,’ both starring Keanu Reeves, will come out on the same day Today 8:54 AM
- Smoke ’em, pass ’em Week 15: It’s Tannehill’s world Today 8:45 AM
- Trump mocks Greta Thunberg over ‘person of the year’ win Today 7:55 AM
- Temple student refers to Philly as the ‘ghetto’ in ‘unacceptable’ TikTok Today 7:52 AM
- The decade the hucksters overran the halls of power Today 6:30 AM
- Ninja mocked for not knowing how to make a sandwich Wednesday 9:30 PM
- Marvel comics writer discusses misogyny in the industry Wednesday 9:09 PM
- TikTok conspiracy theorists think Juice WRLD is still alive Wednesday 7:03 PM
- Conservatives are protesting YouTube’s new harassment rules Wednesday 5:36 PM
- YouTuber’s ‘creepy’ comment about Taylor Swift’s eggs gets ratioed Wednesday 5:31 PM
It’s another day, another live-action Disney remake. This time, The Little Mermaid is front and center.
The internet has been rallying around the idea that Zendaya would play Ariel, while Lizzo would play the beloved sea witch villain, Ursula.
Who would be cast in the film has been kept under wraps until Friday night, that is. Melissa McCarthy is reportedly in talks to play Ursula in the live-action film, it was announced.
Melissa McCarthy in Talks to Play Ursula in Live-Action ‘Little Mermaid’ (EXCLUSIVE) https://t.co/tveL3h1FXK— Variety (@Variety) June 28, 2019
People were less than impressed with the news and quickly fired back with alternatives to who they think should be considered for the role.
Many pointed out that the character Ursula was actually based on iconic drag queen Divine, so it only makes sense that a drag queen takes up the role.
Ursula was LITERALLY inspired by Divine.— that tara girl (@that_tara_girl) June 29, 2019
The fact that they hired Melissa McCartney shows that they only care about name power and not about the art of the role.
Ugh, you poor unfortunate souls. pic.twitter.com/HjMYYFVeDZ
the character of Ursula the sea witch was inspired by Divine, an iconic drag queen who rose to fame in the 1970s.— just say they (@indiosyncratic) June 29, 2019
Melissa McCarthy should NOT be playing Ursula. pic.twitter.com/uAW0pjbVyO
Lizzo also stepped on the scene, tweeting a sad emoji in response to the news.
Lizzo’s just trying to give the people what they want. In 2018, the rapper and flutist posted a video of herself as Ursula, giving legs to the idea.
“I’M URSULA. PERIOD,” she wrote at the time.
They better give her this role. No one else is more suited. Period.— Ms. Bowman (@Sinfully_Cursed) June 29, 2019
Lizzo is 100% that witch!— Daryl Motte (@DarylMotte) June 29, 2019
Look I love Melissa McCarthy, but #Ursula has to be either a drag queen, Lizzo, or Titus— Vincent Manning (@astro_pumpkin) June 29, 2019
Celebrities even showed their support.
“Two words Ursula @lizzo There’s really no excuse,” Broadway star Cynthia Erivo tweeted.
2 words— Cynthia Erivo (@CynthiaEriVo) June 29, 2019
There’s really no excuse.
TS Madison— George M Johnson (@IamGMJohnson) June 28, 2019
That’s the list. That’s it. Cast one of them or keep it on the playground
Your move, Disney.
- These TikTok memes are an ode to the boys Lizzo loves
- A Lizzo song is the soundtrack for the TikTok DNA test
- Disney’s ‘Aladdin’ remake isn’t terrible
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
H/T the Root
Dominic-Madori Davis is a recent graduate of the University of Southern California. She covers the internet, politics, and social issues.