- Can buttoned-up Elizabeth Warren memes bring order to a chaotic 2020 election? 6 Months Ago
- Best CBD edibles: Tried and true favorites from a girl who is obsessed with CBD 6 Months Ago
- ‘High School Musical: The Musical: The Series’ is a note-perfect Gen Z spin-off 6 Months Ago
- ‘Ford v Ferrari’ strains credulity to make Ford Motors an underdog hero Today 7:00 AM
- How to watch the Trump impeachment hearings Today 6:00 AM
- Smoke ’em, pass ’em Week 11: The Packer trip Today 6:00 AM
- What is ‘TikTok including Musical.ly’? Tuesday 8:48 PM
- Video shows driver yelling N-word at Black woman in road rage incident Tuesday 7:40 PM
- A fan gifted Billie Eilish a jacket–it ended up in a thrift store for another fan to find Tuesday 6:49 PM
- Fans are surprisingly hyping Moby up for his new vegan tattoo Tuesday 6:13 PM
- Suspicionless searches of travelers’ electronics ruled unconstitutional Tuesday 5:22 PM
- Facebook testing TikTok clone within Instagram called Reels Tuesday 5:11 PM
- Han Solo shooting scene changed yet again, spawning ‘Maclunkey’ memes Tuesday 4:52 PM
- Facebook bug opened iPhone cameras while users scrolled their feeds Tuesday 4:36 PM
- Black Facebook employees say company racism has ‘gotten worse’ Tuesday 4:01 PM
A popular French Twitch streamer was banned from the platform this week thanks to one of his subscriber’s inappropriate profile pictures.
The incident began Wednesday as Kamel Kabir, known online as Kamet0, was participating in the site’s “Twitch Sings” karaoke feature.
Throughout the live video, numerous users’ profile pictures appeared on the screen. Twitch highlights new subscribers to certain channels by prominently showing their names and photos for a few moments, a feature often abused by those seeking to have graphic imagery flash up during a popular stream.
In a video posted to Twitter Thursday, a Twitch user known as DexterMiner60 can be seen subscribing to Kamet0, causing his profile photo, a part of the female anatomy, to appear on-screen.
Kamet0 appeared to react immediately to the photo, potentially aware that such an image could cause the removal of his channel. And sure enough, although out of Kamet0’s control, the incident led to his account being banned and DexterMiner60’s to be removed.
In a statement on Twitter, Kamet0 asserted that the ban was his first and came just one day before he was planning to reveal a big announcement to his followers.
Ptdrr bon bah mon premier ban de Twitch alors que j'ai la plus grande annonce de ma chaine demain, je suis abattu... pic.twitter.com/QAItlEvUtH— Kameto (@Kammeto) May 23, 2019
At the time of publication, Kamet0’s channel still remains down and it is unclear if the streamer has reached out to Twitch to repeal the decision.
Given that the violation was out of Kamet0’s control, it is widely believed that his channel will be reinstated in the near future. Either way, the incident shows just how easily the platform can be abused to target popular accounts.
- Partnered Twitch streamer temporarily banned for airing troll’s racist message
- Twitch streamer gets banned for drunkenly passing out during broadcast
- Twitch streamer says she’s receiving backlash for ‘getting men banned’
Mikael Thalen is a tech and security reporter based in Seattle, covering social media, data breaches, hackers, and more.