- Cooking Mama’s return whips up a fresh batch of memes Tuesday 8:18 PM
- Influencer body-shames model, Photoshops photo of self to ‘prove point’ Tuesday 7:27 PM
- Boosie Badazz goes on transphobic rant about Dwyane Wade’s daughter Tuesday 6:34 PM
- Royal Family’s website accidentally links to porn instead of charity Tuesday 5:39 PM
- Republican senator spreads false conspiracy about coronavirus Tuesday 5:11 PM
- New DNA technology could help exonerate Black man serving life sentence Tuesday 4:24 PM
- ‘SNL’s’ Kenan Thompson to host the White House Correspondents’ Dinner Tuesday 3:58 PM
- Singer Summer Walker dragged for insensitive HIV comments Tuesday 2:39 PM
- This video of a teddy bear getting steam cleaned makes a perfect meme Tuesday 2:27 PM
- Ted Cruz goes on Twitter tirade over proposed vasectomy bill Tuesday 2:22 PM
- Billie Eilish says she’s stopped reading Instagram comments Tuesday 2:13 PM
- Christian group blames satanists for Twitter poll results Tuesday 1:41 PM
- Coronavirus has pandemic-themed video games topping charts Tuesday 12:58 PM
- Bloomberg said kids are drawn to socialism because they think it involves social media Tuesday 12:55 PM
- Jake Paul gives ill-informed advice on how to deal with anxiety Tuesday 12:25 PM
A popular French Twitch streamer was banned from the platform this week thanks to one of his subscriber’s inappropriate profile pictures.
The incident began Wednesday as Kamel Kabir, known online as Kamet0, was participating in the site’s “Twitch Sings” karaoke feature.
Throughout the live video, numerous users’ profile pictures appeared on the screen. Twitch highlights new subscribers to certain channels by prominently showing their names and photos for a few moments, a feature often abused by those seeking to have graphic imagery flash up during a popular stream.
In a video posted to Twitter Thursday, a Twitch user known as DexterMiner60 can be seen subscribing to Kamet0, causing his profile photo, a part of the female anatomy, to appear on-screen.
Kamet0 appeared to react immediately to the photo, potentially aware that such an image could cause the removal of his channel. And sure enough, although out of Kamet0’s control, the incident led to his account being banned and DexterMiner60’s to be removed.
In a statement on Twitter, Kamet0 asserted that the ban was his first and came just one day before he was planning to reveal a big announcement to his followers.
Ptdrr bon bah mon premier ban de Twitch alors que j'ai la plus grande annonce de ma chaine demain, je suis abattu... pic.twitter.com/QAItlEvUtH— Kameto (@Kammeto) May 23, 2019
At the time of publication, Kamet0’s channel still remains down and it is unclear if the streamer has reached out to Twitch to repeal the decision.
Given that the violation was out of Kamet0’s control, it is widely believed that his channel will be reinstated in the near future. Either way, the incident shows just how easily the platform can be abused to target popular accounts.
- Partnered Twitch streamer temporarily banned for airing troll’s racist message
- Twitch streamer gets banned for drunkenly passing out during broadcast
- Twitch streamer says she’s receiving backlash for ‘getting men banned’
Mikael Thalen is a tech and security reporter based in Seattle, covering social media, data breaches, hackers, and more.