- Fans just discovered Lizzo’s old YouTube channel–and it’s full of gems Today 4:22 PM
- The ‘Final Destination’ movies are now streaming on Hulu Today 2:44 PM
- Marvel asked ‘Maus’ author to remove Trump reference from essay–he refused Today 2:02 PM
- Counselors reportedly pressured to share private info about Facebook moderators Today 1:20 PM
- Barstool Sports founder under investigation for anti-union tweets Today 12:34 PM
- Harmony Korine’s ‘The Beach Bum’ is now streaming on Hulu Today 12:19 PM
- How an Instagram feud led to the death of 9-year-old girl Today 11:08 AM
- A scarier ‘The Haunting of Hill House’ extended director’s cut is coming to Blu-ray Today 9:15 AM
- The 9 best podcasts for kids that entertain and educate Today 8:00 AM
- Swipe This! Why does my BFF get more likes on Instagram than me? Today 6:00 AM
- The 25 Tom Cruise movies that are essential viewing Today 6:00 AM
- No, that guy didn’t really fly alone on a Delta flight Saturday 4:31 PM
- Fans are paying to meet their favorite YouTubers online through pilot program Saturday 2:54 PM
- Behold: 12 straight hours of ‘Stranger Things” Alexei drinking a Slurpee Saturday 2:05 PM
- Influencer couple under fire for using holy water to splash genitals in Bali Saturday 1:29 PM
OMG, is Taylor Swift dating Snapchat CEO Evan Spiegel?
Here’s why bloggers are abuzz this morning with bad jokes about future breakup songs.
Here’s why bloggers are abuzz this morning with bad jokes about future breakup songs: News broke on a celeb gossip site that America’s favorite cheerleader Taylor Swift, 24, and 23-year-old Snapchat CEO Evan Spiegel, whose company rejected a $3 billion offer from Facebook, spent their holidays attached at the lips.
Photo via TechCrunch/Flickr
Last we heard, there were rumors that Swift was a secret 4chan user. But these are even better.
From a post this morning on Laineygossip:
“I’m told that Taylor was at a party with Spiegel over the holidays and it was understood that they were checking each other. Nothing overt but my sources say there’s no doubt she was there with him and for him and that they’re seeing each other casually—so far.”
Tech bloggers and Swifties immediately took to Twitter:
The thinly veiled breakup song (“His Love Disappeared”) writes itself. http://t.co/3CUjr684WC
— Kevin Roose (@kevinroose) January 9, 2014
Evan Spiegel & Taylor Swift is the super villain power couple of our time
— Katie Heaney (@KTHeaney) January 9, 2014
Ew. Rumor is that Taylor’s dating Snapchat’s CEO? http://t.co/BS0j8oRhVK
— Queen Taylor. (@TaylorDevotion) January 9, 2014
Ha ha, very funny. But the most interesting tweet by far: a tweet sent out by 2010 Stanford graduate Daniel Bohm on Jan. 3. This is a full six days before this latest piece of gossip went wide.
I can’t wait to hear Taylor Swift’s song about Evan Spiegel. There, I said it.
— Daniel Bohm (@dbohm1) January 3, 2014
Swift’s rep denies any involvement with Spiegel. But a Stanford source close to the situation told us that there’s more to the story than just rumor.
Talk of Spiegel and Swift has been making the rounds in Stanford alumni circles since Dec. 31, when a Stanford graduate in New York started texting fellow alums he had heard news that Spiegel and Swift were dating.
The following night, Spiegel, who has thrown multiple young-alumni events at Snapchat’s Santa Monica headquarters over the last few months, threw a New Year’s Eve party in Lot 613, an events space in the Downtown Arts District. According to multiple sources, Swift was at the party as well. She arrived late and didn’t drink, said a source. “She was nice. She complimented people on their shoes and hair.” Multiple attendees confirmed that Spiegel and Swift were spotted together throughout the evening.
A separate source told us that Spiegel reached out to the Stanford Alumni Association, who had helped him organize his Snapchat party, to arrange for extra security for Swift to attend the Jan. 1 Stanford–Michigan State Rose Bowl game.
While Spiegel was most recently linked to model girlfriend Lucinda Aragon, a source extremely close to Aragon tells us that the couple “broke up in the last few weeks.” Spiegel hasn’t been spotted in Aragon’s Instagram feed since Oct. 23 of last year, and despite a Nov. 17 tweet referring to Spiegel as her boyfriend, the pair no longer follow each other on Twitter. They seem to be on good terms, though: On Jan. 1, Aragon retweeted this Rose Bowl message from Snapchat: “Let’s go Stanford!” Aragon did not go to Stanford.
Photo via avrillllla/Flickr
Beejoli Shah is a reporter and editor whose work focuses on entertainment, internet culture, and social justice. Her work has been published in Rolling Stone, Cosmopolitan, Fusion, New York Magazine, the Guardian, and BuzzFeed, among others.