- How to stream Barcelona vs. Real Betis Saturday 11:31 PM
- How to stream Tottenham Hotspur vs. Newcastle Saturday 11:21 PM
- All of the ‘Avengers: Endgame’ Easter eggs discovered by fans Saturday 6:52 PM
- Every big announcement made at D23 about Disney+ Saturday 6:33 PM
- The best haunted house movies to watch online in 2019 Saturday 4:13 PM
- Andy Ngo seen laughing as Patriot Prayer members plan an attack in newly emerged video Saturday 3:59 PM
- How to stream Manchester City vs. Bournemouth Saturday 3:25 PM
- Catholic priest allegedly spent church money on Grindr hookups Saturday 3:04 PM
- Nicolás Maduro’s English Twitter account was suspended with no public explanation Saturday 2:06 PM
- Man claims ex-girlfriend killed his dog after he broke up with her Saturday 1:02 PM
- What are BitTorrent downloads and how do they work? Saturday 12:58 PM
- ICE cuts the cord on real immigrant hotline after being featured in ‘Orange Is the New Black’ (updated) Saturday 10:49 AM
- The 10 best music podcasts for artist interviews and criticism in 2019 Saturday 10:41 AM
- How a socialist Twitch streamer landed in a feud with Dan Crenshaw Saturday 10:07 AM
- How to prepare for your fantasy football draft (and season) Saturday 9:00 AM
“Hey, kids! Spelling is fun!” Taylor Swift exclaims in her latest single, “ME!” So it’s pretty ironic that fans recently discovered a piece of Swift’s new “ME!” merchandise actually contains a spelling error.
The shirt in question was released as a limited edition purchase. It was one of several–”for 24 hours only”–pieces sold in Taylor’s store, shortly after the single first came out in April. It was printed with lyrics from the song, which should read, “You’re the only one of you, baby that’s the fun of you.”
Yet, fans are just now realizing and pointing out the egregious error.
“I’ve had this shirt for nearly a month and you’re telling me it’s had a typo THIS WHOLE TIME!!” One fan wrote on Twitter, along with a photo of the merch.
EXCUSE ME! I've had this shirt for nearly a month and you're telling me it's had a typo THIS WHOLE TIME!! pic.twitter.com/8P9p6BPMuV— 𝓛𝑜𝓋𝑒, April 🦋 (@SavvyStardust) June 5, 2019
OK, so the misplaced apostrophe is actually more of a punctuation error. But, in a song that literally talks about spelling? Come on.
It wasn’t long before other Swifties were checking their own merch for the same error.
Swift has truly geared her fans up to assume that EVERYTHING has a secret meaning. And usually, everything does.
We know she’s scattered way more Easter eggs into the music video for “ME!” than we are ever likely to find. Her Instagram is filled with clues about her upcoming music. Even her last album, Reputation, seems to have held clues for her next era. She has even said that her recent performances, of the new single, contain hints as to what’s coming next. And then there’s the magazine covers and interviews to dissect. It’s exhausting being a Swiftie.
Knowing Taylor the typo being only on the normal length shirts is probs some sort of Easter egg 🙄🙄🙄— 𝓛𝓸𝓿𝓮, 𝓙𝓪𝓬𝓴 (@Jackindasummer) June 6, 2019
If it took us a month to realize there was a error on the ME! shirts, how long is it going to take us to find all of Taylor’s Easter Eggs? I’m genuinely concerned for our well beings.— Caitie LOVES Tay (@caitie_ts13) June 6, 2019
There’s perhaps one more strange element of it all. The line, “Hey, kids! Spelling is fun!” is cut out of the radio edit of “ME!”
I’m convinced Taylor leaving out the bridge was an Easter egg of her trying to tell us to look at the spelling of our shirts since she couldn’t tell us but she knew we [email protected] it out— your AMARAcan Queen ™ | NEVER ME(!)T TAY (fan) (@pommomara) June 7, 2019
Could that have been a clue for fans to look for the error on the shirts?
Let’s just assume the typo is more than a simple typo. Honestly, it’s not that big of a leap when it comes to Swift and her love of clues.
Taylor Swifts trying to figure out a way to make the typos on her shirts look like an intentional Easter egg pic.twitter.com/m09HIxDJNB— Emy LaCroix (@TheEmyLaCroix) June 6, 2019
- Taylor Swift drops single with Brendon Urie—and fans are losing it
- Taylor Swift stan account shocks Twitter by explaining recent jail time
- Zayn Malik confirms bizarre theory that Taylor Swift travels inside a suitcase
- Taylor Swift’s Beyoncé ripoff wasn’t just blatant—it was hurtful
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
H/T Teen Vogue
Rachel Kiley is a writer who sometimes writes things and sometimes is based in L.A., but is definitely always on Twitter @rachelkiley.