- Pediatrician gets death threats after pro-vaccine TikTok video Monday 9:37 PM
- This Australia-themed dildo is raising money to fight the bushfires Monday 8:26 PM
- Influencers say they’ve received unwanted sexual solicitations worth thousands Monday 7:39 PM
- Pregnant woman masterfully trolls gender-obsessed relative Monday 3:05 PM
- HBO’s ‘Curb Your Enthusiasm’ returns from a 2-year break with brand new ways to make you cringe Monday 3:00 PM
- Far-right accused of impersonating antifa online to encourage violence at Richmond rally Monday 1:59 PM
- Second Amendment protesters defend gun rights with truly terrible signs Monday 12:52 PM
- David Lynch surprises fans by dropping Netflix short out of the blue Monday 12:29 PM
- Poop-focused parody of Kent State Gun Girl sparks conservative ire Monday 11:58 AM
- 6-year-old raises $250K for Australian bushfires by making clay koalas Monday 11:31 AM
- What you need to know about Clearview AI and its facial recognition app Monday 10:36 AM
- Apple TV+ gets its first SAG Award while Netflix and Amazon nab 2 each Monday 10:07 AM
- Facebook apologizes for translating Chinese president’s name to ‘Mr. Sh*thole’ Monday 9:45 AM
- New York Times endorses Klobarren for president Monday 8:45 AM
- 6 gift cards that make for the most thoughtful Valentine’s Day gift ideas Monday 8:16 AM
Streamys announce Audience Choice Awards nominees
Voting is now open for Webseries of the Year and Personality of the Year.
Voting kicks off today for the Streamys Audience Choice Awards. The annual webseries awards, produced by Dick Clark Productions and Tubefilter, announced the finalists today for Personality of the Year and Series of the Year.
Unlike the regular nominations, which are voted on by a panel of judges, the Audience Choice nominees and awards are chosen through audience voting. This year’s Audience Choice Finalists predictably showed the influence of social media, with stars with large followings on Twitter and Tumblr winning a spot on the nominees list.
The Lizzie Bennet Diaries, already nominated for several Streamys, showed how loyal their fan following is, securing several nominations for Personality of the Year, as well as a nod for Series of the Year. Popular comedy duo the Fine Brothers also did well, getting a nod for Personality as well as Series for their “Kids React” series of videos.
Finalists for Personality of the Year:
- Ashley Clements, star of the Lizzie Bennet Diaries
- Bernie Su, producer, writer, and director of the Lizzie Bennet Diaries
- Brad Bell, star of Husbands
- Chester See, popular entertainer and musician
- Grace Helbig, vlogger and star of Daily Grace
- Mary Kate Wiles, star of the Lizzie Bennet Diaries and Squaresville
- Megan & Liz, musicians and twin sisters with their own YouTube channel
- Ryan Higa, popular YouTube vlogger and Twitter personality
- SMOSH, comedy duo Anthony Padilla and Ian Hecox
- The Fine Brothers, brothers who write and direct their own YouTube channel, best known for their “Reacts” series
Finalists for Series of the Year:
- Bro Team Pill
- Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn
- Kids React
- Red Vs Blue
- The Lizzie Bennet Diaries
- The Young Turks
- Visto Bueno
Created in 2008, the Streamy Awards honors excellence in original online video programming and those who create it. The Nerdist’s Chris Hardwick will serve as the host for this year’s ceremony, featuring presenters including George Takei, Lance Bass, and iJustine, with performances by Vanilla Ice, Shontelle, and more.
The ceremony will be live streamed from Los Angeles on Feb. 17, 2013 at 6pm ET. Until then, fans can vote for their favorite nominees at www.streamys.org.
Image via Streamys.org
Aja Romano is a geek culture reporter and fandom expert. Their reporting at the Daily Dot covered everything from Harry Potter and anime to Tumblr and Gamergate. Romano joined Vox as a staff reporter in 2016.