- In season 2, ‘Succession’ has quietly become one of the best shows on TV Sunday 9:10 PM
- Alexa Demie shares the beauty inspiration behind ‘Euphoria’s’ Maddy Sunday 5:47 PM
- Fans just discovered Lizzo’s old YouTube channel–and it’s full of gems Sunday 4:22 PM
- The ‘Final Destination’ movies are now streaming on Hulu Sunday 2:44 PM
- Marvel asked ‘Maus’ author to remove Trump reference from essay–he refused Sunday 2:02 PM
- Counselors reportedly pressured to share private info about Facebook moderators Sunday 1:20 PM
- Barstool Sports founder under investigation for anti-union tweets Sunday 12:34 PM
- Harmony Korine’s ‘The Beach Bum’ is now streaming on Hulu Sunday 12:19 PM
- How an Instagram feud led to the death of 9-year-old girl Sunday 11:08 AM
- A scarier ‘The Haunting of Hill House’ extended director’s cut is coming to Blu-ray Sunday 9:15 AM
- The 9 best podcasts for kids that entertain and educate Sunday 8:00 AM
- Swipe This! Why does my BFF get more likes on Instagram than me? Sunday 6:00 AM
- The 25 Tom Cruise movies that are essential viewing Sunday 6:00 AM
- No, that guy didn’t really fly alone on a Delta flight Saturday 4:31 PM
- Fans are paying to meet their favorite YouTubers online through pilot program Saturday 2:54 PM
The hand-picked playlists will include both Spotify originals and third-party podcasts. The podcasts will be categorized under different sections, including comedy, true crime, “geek culture,” “walking (motivational),” and “relaxing (mindfulness).”
It remains unclear whether the lists will be formed as part of deals with other networks or simply by Spotify employees picking their favorites.
The test is attempting to see if the same methods used to introduce users to new music can be carried over into the podcast realm. Currently, the streaming service offers features such as “Discover Weekly” to give users the ability to broaden their musical horizons, whereas podcasts are often only spread through word-of-mouth.
“We’re always testing new products and features to create better listening experiences for our users,” a spokesperson told Engadget. “This test aims to make it easier for users to discover new podcasts while giving creators another mechanism to connect with new fans. We have no further information to share at this time.”
Mikael Thalen is a tech and security reporter based in Seattle, covering social media, data breaches, hackers, and more.