Jim Crow America is one of the ugliest eras of our nation’s history, and a time when monsters emboldened by the law preyed on the vulnerable. But what if they were literal monsters?
Lovecraft Country tells the story of three African-Americans on a road trip through middle America. Little did these trippers know that behind every nook and cranny in the country lay not only violent racists, but actual Lovecraftian monsters with teeth, tentacles, and blood lust. From executive producers, Misha Green, J.J. Abrams, Bill Carraro, Yann Demange, Daniel Sackheim, and woke horror king Jordan Peele, comes a new horror dramathat depicts the nightmares of the era.
Here’s everything you need to know to stream Lovecraft Country.
What is Lovecraft Country?
The series is based on the 2016 novel of the same name by Matt Ruff, which explores the conjunction of racism in America with the horror of H.P. Lovecraft.
- Launched: August 16, 2020
- Airtime: Sundays at 9 pm PST
- Channel: HBO
- Genre: Drama/Horror
- Starring: Jurnee Smollett, Jonathan Majors, Aunjanue Ellis, Courtney B. Vance, Wunmi Mosaku, Abbey Lee, Jamie Chung, Jada Harris, Michael K. Williams
- Seasons: 1
- Status: Pending
Lovecraft Country Reviews
What the critics are saying:
- “The creativity on display is phenomenal, with writing that’s layered with meanings and allusions, acting that brings the kind of emotional grounding you don’t always find in genre stories, and visual realizations that are stunning as they pinball among influences including David Cronenberg, Guillermo del Toro, and, of course, Peele.” –Mathew Gilbert, The Boston Globe
- “Even though it has a continuous story arc the show goes through tonal shifts, moving from Indiana Jones to grindhouse to bump-in-the-night scares, so that it almost feels like an anthology. But the dark, disturbing cloud of racism is ever present and seeps into every corner of the show like a wraith. Except this monster’s real.” –Tom Long, The Detroit News
How to stream Lovecraft Country
HBO is available on a few of the major live TV streaming services. When trying to decide which one is best for you, you’ll want to weigh the cost, the other channels you’ll receive, and the compatible devices for streaming.
Lovecraft Country on Hulu or Hulu with Live TV
While most services allow you to watch HBO online at the same price point—$14.99 per month—Hulu offers the cheapest entry point. A basic Hulu subscription only costs $5.99 per month cost, which unlocks its entire collection of movies, shows, documentaries, anime, and the must-see Hulu originals—albeit with commercials. That brings your total to $20.98 a month. HBO is also available as an add-on for Hulu with Live TV if you’re looking for a full suite of cable channels.
|Hulu with ads||$5.99/mo. or $59.99/yr.|
|Hulu with no ads||$11.99|
|Hulu Live TV + Hulu with ads||$54.99|
|Hulu Live TV + Hulu no ads||$60.99|
Lovecraft Country on Amazon Prime Video
Subscribing to HBO via Amazon requires a Prime membership. Membership costs $12.99 per month. Then you have to pay $14.99 per month for HBO. Still, there are advantages to using Amazon Prime’s video service as your primary streaming source. Rather than teach your family how to use multiple apps, Amazon Prime has a simple menu that puts all of your favorite Prime content right alongside your add-on channels. Ultimately, you’ll pay around the same cost per year for HBO through Prime as you would Hulu, Sling TV, or PS Vue. It boils down to what interface you prefer and what service you might already be subscribing to (or considering). It’s worth noting that Amazon has a considerable library of best Amazon originals, documentaries, and movies, including some in 4K Ultra HD, and there’s something new on Amazon every month.
Lovecraft on HBO Max
HBO Max is the newest way to watch HBO, featuring an array of WarnerMedia holdings in addition to all your HBO favorites. It’s also got a new series of shows, Max Originals, exclusive to the service. Plus, it’s a great place to catch Lovecraft Country.
Premium Streaming Service Guides
The Daily Dot may receive a payment in connection with purchases of products or services featured in this article. Click here to learn more.