- People are demanding the man who filmed the killing of Eric Garner be freed with #FreeRamsey Monday 7:36 PM
- Billie Eilish’s ‘Bad Guy’ unseats ‘Old Town Road’ from the No. 1 spot Monday 6:11 PM
- People think Ghislaine Maxwell was Photoshopped in those In-N-Out photos Monday 5:41 PM
- People are transfixed by a TikTok cat dancing along to ‘Mr. Sandman’ Monday 4:52 PM
- Nazi troll pretending to be antifa in Portland gets outed by internet Monday 4:15 PM
- ‘Dear White People’ season 3 reflects the exhaustion of the times—for better or for worse Monday 3:59 PM
- ‘Seinfeld’ and ‘Friends’ fans feud over which sitcom is better Monday 3:57 PM
- Anti-abortion centers are getting around Google’s misinformation policy Monday 3:45 PM
- Twitter, Facebook remove Chinese accounts spreading Hong Kong misinformation Monday 3:41 PM
- ‘Mindhunter’ season 2 offers no happy endings Monday 3:19 PM
- How to watch ‘The Righteous Gemstones’ online Monday 3:03 PM
- ‘Mindhunter’ season 2 brings out the memes Monday 2:59 PM
- Rumor suggests the X-Men might battle the Avengers on-screen Monday 2:54 PM
- The CDC is investigating cases of severe lung damage linked to vaping Monday 2:08 PM
- How to stream the 49ers vs. Broncos on (preseason) Monday Night Football Monday 1:24 PM
Serial isn’t focusing on one case in its new season. It’s exploring many.
Serial, the hit true-crime podcast narrated by Sarah Koenig, is returning for a third season and this time it’s covering the stories of Cleveland’s criminal court system. Koenig and This American Life reporter Emmanuel Dzotsi spent more than a year in Cuyahoga County’s criminal courts looking at a range of cases, including ones that are still in flux, like the shooting death of five-month-old Avielle Wakefield in 2015. Koenig told the Cleveland Scene: “Some of the episodes are connected, and sometimes characters appear and re-appear in later episodes. But basically, we followed a bunch of cases over time.”
- The true crime on Netflix that will leave you on the edge of your seat
- 20 classic movies on Netflix everyone should see
- The 10 best ‘80s movies on Netflix, according to the critics
The first season of Serial covered the ongoing case of Adnan Syed and murder of Hae Min Lee, and turned the podcast into a viral—if controversial—moment. The second season looked at the case of Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl.
Serial returns Sept. 20, with two episodes debuting that day. Episodes will then air weekly on Thursdays. You can listen to a season 3 teaser here.
Audra Schroeder is the Daily Dot’s senior entertainment writer, and she focuses on streaming, comedy, and music. Her work has previously appeared in the Austin Chronicle, the Dallas Observer, NPR, ESPN, Bitch, and the Village Voice. She is based in Austin, Texas.