- Texas police officer fatally shoots Black woman in her own home Today 3:44 PM
- Milo Yiannopoulos’ website dangerous.com was sold Today 1:42 PM
- First YouTube comment to hit 1 million likes is on Billie Eilish’s ‘bad guy’ music video Today 12:36 PM
- Girl says she was fired over exposing how Panera makes its mac and cheese on TikTok Today 11:34 AM
- David Harbour teased fans about Hopper’s ‘Stranger Things’ fate on ‘SNL’ Today 10:24 AM
- Kacey Musgraves accused of cultural appropriation–and botching it Today 9:19 AM
- Rihanna defends Vogue writer who received backlash for ‘winging’ interview Today 8:36 AM
- Here are the best PC games to add to your list Today 8:20 AM
- How to stream ‘Power’ season 6, episode 8 Today 6:00 AM
- How to stream Steelers vs. Chargers on Sunday Night Football Saturday 7:20 PM
- Popular TikTok teens accused of pretending to be gay for clout Saturday 6:38 PM
- Scott Walker’s ‘$26 haircut’ dig at Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez backfires Saturday 4:46 PM
- Halle synagogue shooter allegedly posted manifesto on anime message board Saturday 4:06 PM
- How to stream Cowboys vs. Jets in NFL Week 6 Saturday 3:25 PM
- How to stream Rams vs. 49ers in NFL Week 6 action Saturday 3:05 PM
Sweet! Pete Wentz is a fan of this Pop-Tart Tumblr
iPhone self-pics are so October 2011. Make way for Pop-Tart portraits.
Everybody’s doing the Pop-Tart. Even emo dreamboat Fallout Boy bassist Pete Wentz.
It’s simple: Just take a photo of yourself the mirror, Photoshop a Pop-Tart in place of your smartphone, and then upload it. If you thought mirror self-portraits looked silly before, the addition of a Pop-Tart makes them look sublimely goofy.
A Tumblr commemorating the move went up yesterday. Self Pop Tart features 21 posts so far, primarily of very good looking people, all with a Pop-Tart in hand. The very latest: a picture of Wentz, who submitted his own after noticing the site and tweeting about it to his 2.36 million Twitter followers.
The Daily Dot reached out to the blog’s anonymous creator, who told us his favorite Pop-tart flavors are frosted raspberry and cinnamon.
“I got the idea because I had taken a ridiculous self portrait of myself and wanted to cover up my iPhone,” he told us in an email. “I Photoshopped in a few other things (playing cards, tarot cards… but they only made the photo even more… I don’t know… self-important? Nothing takes the pompousness away like America’s favorite frosted toaster pastry!”
The creator says his photo is somewhere on the blog, but asked the Daily Dot to “do him a solid” and not reveal his identity. (We’re kind of hoping he’s the shirtless dude pictured here.)
“I don’t need Kellogg’s lawyers coming after me,” he explained.
Plus, he doesn’t want meme status to interfere with his job hunt: “Yep, I’m looking for a job! I AM the frosted percent!” he said.
If you haven’t gathered, Self Pop Tart dude is kind of a bro, and we’re more than okay with that.
“Self Pop-tarting, it’s gonna be a thing,” the original poster, driving_cap, predicted.
Sure enough, the photos on the Tumblr have up to 378 reblogs each, an impressive figure for a day-old Tumblr. And according to the anonymous creator, there are already 1,100 people following it.
The creator says he just expects things to escalate from here, especially with new fan Wentz’s photo on the blog.
“It’s as if he’s standing in a cave made of frosting. I just put it up,” he said. “I imagine [traffic is] going to go up a bit.”
And with that, Self Pop Tart’s creator told us he had to leave for the gym to “drop off his abs.”
Gotta work off those pastries, after all.
Lauren Rae Orsini is a web culture reporter who specializes in anime and the business of fandom. Her work has been published by Forbes and Business Insider.