- Lil Nas X says he will perform at Area 51 for free 1 Year Ago
- The best Prime Day deals for gamers 1 Year Ago
- How Republicans are dancing around Trump’s racist tweets 1 Year Ago
- Not even anti-immigrant groups are defending Trump’s ‘go back’ tweets 1 Year Ago
- Netflix’s latest chase thriller ‘Point Blank’ lacks electricity Today 12:27 PM
- Jay Inslee floats Megan Rapinoe as his secretary of state pick Today 11:33 AM
- The cast list for the ‘Kingsman’ prequel movie looks totally nuts Today 11:17 AM
- The best Prime Day deals to heat up your kitchen Today 11:16 AM
- YouTuber Emily Hartridge killed in electric scooter crash Today 10:50 AM
- Is Lashana Lynch really playing 007 in the new Bond movie? Today 10:33 AM
- Trump demands apology after his racist tweets Today 10:21 AM
- Prime Day deals that’ll make you grateful for your Amazon membership Today 9:51 AM
- Netflix’s ‘4L’ takes a long road trip to the Sahara Today 9:04 AM
- Air Force says it’s ready to ‘protect’ Area 51 amid Facebook event buzz Today 9:02 AM
- Get 50% off 23andMe DNA tests today for Prime Day Today 9:00 AM
Rihanna slays the Met Gala red carpet in a pope-inspired look
The singer and style icon didn’t fail to impress in 2018 with a pope-inspired dress designed by Maison Margiela Artisanal. The diamond-studded corset and bishop’s hat were stunning and apt for this year’s theme: Catholicism’s influence on fashion.
People on Twitter were happy to declare Rihanna the winner of the Met Gala red carpet—and worthy of her own religious movement.
WELCOME TO THE CHURCH OF RIHANNA. COME. SHE SHALL BAPTIZE YOU IN BODY LAVA AND SIN. pic.twitter.com/xIvBunLnhO— justine (@biticonjustine) May 7, 2018
White smoke new Pope pic.twitter.com/Ccp6gbYCsC— Caroline Moss (@socarolinesays) May 7, 2018
Rihanna is lookin' like the archbishop of SNACKerberry pic.twitter.com/yOXt3LJGWn— ￼ (@cyberfeeIz) May 8, 2018
People also chided other celebrities for failing to adhere to the red carpet theme as successfully as Rihanna and Black Panther star Chadwick Boseman, who wore an ivory suit and cape decked out with gold crosses.
Apparently, Rihanna and Chadwick were the only two students who followed directions and did the assigned reading for the Met Gala. pic.twitter.com/pvhNRihhTr— Swamp Ting (@CharlesPulliam) May 8, 2018
Singers SZA and Solange, who both donned halos, were praised as well.
Notably, several celebrities including Chrissy Teigen and Beyoncé, were absent from the Met Gala. Or were they?
Kris Seavers is the Evening Editor for the Daily Dot, where she covers breaking news, politics, and LGBTQ issues. Her work has appeared in Central Texas publications, including Austin Monthly and San Antonio Magazine, and on NPR.