- In Pixar short ‘Kitbull,’ a cat and pit bull become unlikely friends 10 Months Ago
- Stop exploiting the Jussie Smollett case to discredit LGBTQ hate crime victims 10 Months Ago
- The best Netflix original movies of 2019 10 Months Ago
- Pinterest is reportedly blocking vaccination searches Today 2:53 PM
- Nike’s self-lacing smart sneakers malfunction days after release Today 2:50 PM
- How to quickly get the Havoc weapon in Apex Legends Today 2:48 PM
- The truth behind the anti-LGBTQ emoji controversy Today 1:37 PM
- Tristan Thompson disables Instagram comments after reports he cheated on Khloe Kardashian Today 11:25 AM
- Introducing ‘boner culture,’ this Gamergate blogger’s latest cause Today 11:16 AM
- HBO debuts trailer for controversial Michael Jackson doc ‘Leaving Neverland’ Today 10:46 AM
- Christian woman refuses to do taxes for lesbian married couple Today 10:43 AM
- Political campaigns will be snooping on your phones in 2020 Today 10:43 AM
- How to get the first Apex Legends Twitch Prime pack for free Today 10:28 AM
- Mother discovers YouTube Kids video that encourages self-harm Today 10:14 AM
- Bernie Sanders’ messed-up map of the U.S. is his first campaign flub Today 10:05 AM
Rihanna slays the Met Gala red carpet in a pope-inspired look
The singer and style icon didn’t fail to impress in 2018 with a pope-inspired dress designed by Maison Margiela Artisanal. The diamond-studded corset and bishop’s hat were stunning and apt for this year’s theme: Catholicism’s influence on fashion.
People on Twitter were happy to declare Rihanna the winner of the Met Gala red carpet—and worthy of her own religious movement.
— Queen Hyuna + Haechan day☀️ (@y0ungoth) May 7, 2018
WELCOME TO THE CHURCH OF RIHANNA. COME. SHE SHALL BAPTIZE YOU IN BODY LAVA AND SIN. pic.twitter.com/xIvBunLnhO
— justine (@biticonjustine) May 7, 2018
White smoke new Pope pic.twitter.com/Ccp6gbYCsC
— Caroline Moss (@socarolinesays) May 7, 2018
Rihanna is lookin' like the archbishop of SNACKerberry pic.twitter.com/yOXt3LJGWn
— ￼ (@cyberfeeIz) May 8, 2018
People also chided other celebrities for failing to adhere to the red carpet theme as successfully as Rihanna and Black Panther star Chadwick Boseman, who wore an ivory suit and cape decked out with gold crosses.
Apparently, Rihanna and Chadwick were the only two students who followed directions and did the assigned reading for the Met Gala. pic.twitter.com/pvhNRihhTr
— Swamp Ting (@CharlesPulliam) May 8, 2018
Singers SZA and Solange, who both donned halos, were praised as well.
— zay zay (@saddestlov3r) May 7, 2018
Notably, several celebrities including Chrissy Teigen and Beyoncé, were absent from the Met Gala. Or were they?
Beyoncé arriving as the Holy Ghost.
— Donathan Bartolome (@ChenelynMercad0) May 8, 2018
Kris Seavers is the Evening Editor for the Daily Dot, where she covers breaking news, politics, and LGBTQ issues. Her work has appeared in Central Texas publications, including Austin Monthly and San Antonio Magazine, and on NPR.