- Fortnite leak reveals a ‘Batman’ crossover event may be happening 7 Years Ago
- The explosion at a bull semen factory generated a lot of obvious jokes Today 4:33 PM
- Jessica Jaymes, adult film star, dead at 43 Today 4:18 PM
- How to stream Falcons vs. Colts in Week 3 Today 4:05 PM
- Beto O’Rourke says he opposes police use of facial recognition tech Today 4:01 PM
- Lawsuit alleges woman was kidnapped by Lyft driver and gang-raped Today 3:19 PM
- Facebook and Ray-Ban want to replace smartphones with smart glasses Today 3:13 PM
- Sirfetch’d is the gallant new Pokémon winning everyone’s heart Today 3:09 PM
- Danielle Cohn’s dad says she’s not really 15 years old Today 2:14 PM
- Chilling ad by Sandy Hook Promise features kids using school supplies during a shooting Today 1:50 PM
- Don’t fall victim to this Venmo texting scam Today 1:18 PM
- Here’s what’s coming and going on Netflix in October 2019 Today 12:55 PM
- Marvel just turned Goldballs into one of the most powerful X-Men Today 12:33 PM
- Every house in ‘Skyrim’ and how to get them all Today 12:28 PM
- How to stream all the Week 3 NFL action Today 12:14 PM
Reddit’s shitty_watercolour launches charity paint-a-thon
For a small donation to charity:water, you can have a photo of your choice painted by the beloved Redditor.
The face behind shitty_watercolour, the beloved Reddit novelty account that turns random photos and comments into paintings, has been revealed in a new YouTube video promoting a live paint-a-thon for charity.
“The first thing you might notice is that I’m not 79 years old,” says a young shitty_watercolour in the YouTube video, which is stuck at 304 views (an indication that YouTube’s servers are struggling to keep up with the recent spike in interest).
Then, he reveals the details of the paint-a-thon:
“I am going to be painting for 12 hours straight. I’ll have a sheet of paper, more than one if I need, and I will divide it up into a big grid with 5cm by 5cm squares. And you can request to have your picture painted in a square.”
If you donate at least $10 to charity:water, a non-profit organization that provides clean water to developing countries, shitty_watercolour guarantees that your photo will make it onto his sheet of paper. So far, more than £700 ($1,131) has been collected in two hours.
On Reddit, shitty_watercolour’s post about the paint-a-thon has reached the front page and is collecting about five comments a minute from people eager to have their photos painted.
“With the amount of donations I imagine this will get, reddit will basically own you for the rest of your days,” fat-free-alternative commented.
“$150 donated for [a painting of] Stephen Fry with a cup of tea,” teaaddiction commented. “Worth it!”
14 photos have been painted so far, and you can watch as shitty_watercolour adds more on a live YouTube feed.
Photo via YouTube
Fernando Alfonso III served as an early Reddit and 4chan reporter and the Daily Dot’s first art director until 2016. He’s gone on to report at Lexington’s Herald-Leader and at the Houston Chronicle.