- #DogsAgainstBrexit highlights the negative impact of Brexit on pets Monday 7:44 PM
- Congress investigating whether vaping manufacturers used social media bots Monday 6:34 PM
- Influencer accuses Lisa Frank of stealing apartment design, says that’s why she’s getting evicted (updated) Monday 6:12 PM
- Brits are sharing their ‘awfully British Amazon reviews’ on Twitter Monday 4:08 PM
- How to stream Mexico vs. Panama in Concacaf Nations League play Monday 3:38 PM
- How to stream U.S. vs. Canada in the Concacaf Nations League tournament Monday 3:21 PM
- Fortnite’s black hole launches conspiracy theories and memes Monday 3:19 PM
- WeWork pulls phone booths over formaldehyde concerns Monday 3:06 PM
- Mark Zuckerberg is reportedly having private meetings with prominent conservatives Monday 3:03 PM
- Firework is a social video app with a literal twist Monday 2:46 PM
- Pro-Trump meme comedian Carpe Donktum suspended by Twitter (updated) Monday 1:35 PM
- Here are all of the Disney+ titles available to stream at launch Monday 12:52 PM
- Rumor: Apple to release $399 iPhone SE follow-up next year Monday 12:44 PM
- Sulli, K-pop star who spoke against cyberbullying, dead at 25 Monday 12:37 PM
- The latest front in Turkey’s digital war against the Kurds? Google reviews Monday 12:19 PM
Reddit catapults movie extra to fame on Internet Movie Database
Alexander Rhodes, a redditor and extra in the upcoming Tom Cruise flick Jack Reacher, is now billed above Cruise himself on the movie’s IMDB page.
The secret to Rhodes’ unusual prominence lies in a Reddit thread.
Rhodes, who has worked as a movie extra in The Perks of Being a Wallflower and a production assistant on The Dark Knight Rises, noticed that IMDB ranks a movie’s cast by each actor’s profile pageviews. On Sep. 28, he submitted a thread detailing this to Reddit. At the time, his name ranked eighth in the Reacher cast list.
By late Oct. 1, his name and role as “Suspicious Onlooker” was at the top of the list, bumping Cruise down to second place.
Now, Rhodes is on a new quest: actual stardom.
According to a post by his friend and fellow extra Cory Cook in a follow-up thread, Rhodes plans to start paving his path to fame by keeping his name at the top of the Jack Reacher cast list:
“Casting Directors WILL NOT CARE if he is on the top 10 for only one week. We have to get him on the news… and actually make him famous. It would be so great to have one of us represented in Hollywood. Just imagine the news headlines.. ‘Meet the man the internet made famous.’”
So far, a Facebook page set up for Rhodes has achieved 4,700 likes. Rhodes’ Twitter feed, launched on Sep. 26, already has over 2,600 followers. A Twitition page to have Rhodes’ account verified has garnered almost 400 votes.
Photo via Alexander Rhodes/Facebook
Mike Fenn is a former contributor to the Daily Dot whose beats included Reddit, YouTube, and all things WTF. His work has also appeared in Forbes and News.com.au.