- Gigi Hadid absolutely obliterates Jake Paul over Zayn Malik diss 7 Years Ago
- People really want Chris Matthews fired after he compared Sanders’ Nevada win to Nazi invasion of France Today 9:35 AM
- Bernie Sanders wins Nevada Caucuses Saturday 6:54 PM
- MSNBC is out of its mind over Sanders leading Nevada Saturday 5:20 PM
- Kim Kardashian dragged for using makeup to darken her hands Saturday 4:13 PM
- TikTok users show how they turned their vehicles into incredible tiny homes Saturday 3:44 PM
- Woman iconically pranks man who sent her an unsolicited d*ck pic Saturday 2:25 PM
- ‘Terrifying’ deepfake puts Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk in ‘Star Trek’ Saturday 1:06 PM
- A 36-year-old called the cops after being booted from parents’ phone plan Saturday 12:16 PM
- People think novelist Dean Koontz predicted the coronavirus in 1981 thriller Saturday 10:22 AM
- Twitter suspends 70 pro-Bloomberg accounts Saturday 9:15 AM
- In documentary ‘Modern Whore,’ a former escort takes control of her own narrative Saturday 6:30 AM
- Cara Delevingne calls out Justin Bieber for ‘ranking’ wife Hailey’s friends Friday 9:07 PM
- Fans defend Jenna Marbles after some people claimed she mistreated her dogs in a recent video Friday 8:37 PM
- ‘Friends’ gets reunion special on HBO Max, fans go wild Friday 7:37 PM
Reddit catapults movie extra to fame on Internet Movie Database
Alexander Rhodes, a redditor and extra in the upcoming Tom Cruise flick Jack Reacher, is now billed above Cruise himself on the movie’s IMDB page.
The secret to Rhodes’ unusual prominence lies in a Reddit thread.
Rhodes, who has worked as a movie extra in The Perks of Being a Wallflower and a production assistant on The Dark Knight Rises, noticed that IMDB ranks a movie’s cast by each actor’s profile pageviews. On Sep. 28, he submitted a thread detailing this to Reddit. At the time, his name ranked eighth in the Reacher cast list.
By late Oct. 1, his name and role as “Suspicious Onlooker” was at the top of the list, bumping Cruise down to second place.
Now, Rhodes is on a new quest: actual stardom.
According to a post by his friend and fellow extra Cory Cook in a follow-up thread, Rhodes plans to start paving his path to fame by keeping his name at the top of the Jack Reacher cast list:
“Casting Directors WILL NOT CARE if he is on the top 10 for only one week. We have to get him on the news… and actually make him famous. It would be so great to have one of us represented in Hollywood. Just imagine the news headlines.. ‘Meet the man the internet made famous.’”
So far, a Facebook page set up for Rhodes has achieved 4,700 likes. Rhodes’ Twitter feed, launched on Sep. 26, already has over 2,600 followers. A Twitition page to have Rhodes’ account verified has garnered almost 400 votes.
Photo via Alexander Rhodes/Facebook
Mike Fenn is a former contributor to the Daily Dot whose beats included Reddit, YouTube, and all things WTF. His work has also appeared in Forbes and News.com.au.