- Illinois Republicans share ‘jihad squad’ meme of 4 Dem congresswomen 3 Years Ago
- How a deepfake gets made 3 Years Ago
- How to watch ‘Veronica Mars’ season 4 online Today 8:21 AM
- The MCU’s Phase 4 is all about Marvel getting weird Today 7:07 AM
- How alt porn site SuicideGirls gets women to pose naked for free Today 7:00 AM
- Why did the GOP launch a website hyping socialist candidates? Today 6:30 AM
- The macrophilia and size-change fetish communities are made possible through the magic of the internet Today 6:00 AM
- Is Trump defiling the U.S. flag in this MAGA dude’s artwork? Sunday 4:41 PM
- White woman claims she invented sleep bonnets, selling them for $100 Sunday 4:03 PM
- Even real cats are transfixed by the enigma that is the ‘Cats’ trailer Sunday 3:04 PM
- Wait, how tall is Peppa Pig? Sunday 1:55 PM
- Twitter suspends Iranian state media outlets for harassing members of a religious minority Sunday 1:06 PM
- Pro-MAGA pageant queen stripped of title over ‘offensive’ tweets Sunday 11:52 AM
- Marvel unveiled its Phase 4 plans at San Diego Comic-Con Sunday 9:16 AM
- How a queer Instagram is helping fight the opioid epidemic in Appalachia Sunday 6:30 AM
Red Velvet’s new song ‘Russian Roulette’ is cute and dangerous
It’s a game you can’t control.
The girls of Red Velvet have returned with their third mini album, Russian Roulette, and single of the same name.
Earlier this year, Red Velvet released The Velvet EP with title track “One of These Nights,” which was the follow up to the group’s first full album, The Red. The release of Russian Roulette on Tuesday brings the girls back to their vivid music style—in contrast to The Red, which showcased their softer side and vocal talents.
“Russian Roulette” is a cute and bubbly song, complemented by the bright colors of the music video. Red Velvet’s sugar-coated voices in conjunction with an upbeat melody make it impossible not to bob your head to the music.
But don’t be fooled—its cheerful sound juxtaposes the catastrophic and lethal pranks the girls play on each other in the video. While the song sounds fun and adorable, the members show their dark side with stone-faced stares and subtle smirks. In one way or another, each member meets her unexpected demise, like a game of Russian Roulette.
The release comes with six other tracks, each sporting light, electro-pop elements. Red Velvet will perform “Russian Roulette” for the first time live on Thursday’s episode of M!Countdown.
Sherry Tucci is a fandom reporter who specializes in Korean pop culture and anime. In addition to her work at the Daily Dot, her reporting has appeared in the Daily Texan.