- Judge orders Roger Stone to appear in court after his Instagram post 2 Years Ago
- I worked with the migrant caravan—and Trump is the cause of his national emergency 2 Years Ago
- How to watch Liverpool vs. Bayern Munich online for free 2 Years Ago
- ‘Patriot Act’ volume 2 proves Hasan Minhaj is the next big star of the news-comedy genre 2 Years Ago
- ‘Friends From College’ canceled after 2 seasons at Netflix 2 Years Ago
- Allow your wallet to be your spirit guide during this rad anime sale 2 Years Ago
- Man stages fake DUI trial to propose to girlfriend, and people are asking why 2 Years Ago
- Bernie Sanders’ website full of 404s on launch day Today 10:23 AM
- Pose’s Indya Moore goes viral for arguing trans women have ‘biologically female’ penises Today 10:21 AM
- Howard Schultz pens Medium essay declaring ‘unprecedented appetite’ for Schultz 2020 Today 9:56 AM
- The weirdest movie at the Oscars is ‘Border’ Today 9:22 AM
- Did Elon Musk just host PewDiePie’s meme review? Today 8:53 AM
- Loona stans take over Twitter with praise for the ‘Butterfly’ video Today 7:31 AM
- ‘Yucatán’ is a caper comedy that’s long on cons but short on laughs Today 7:00 AM
- The best memes of 2019 Today 7:00 AM
Red Velvet’s new song ‘Russian Roulette’ is cute and dangerous
It’s a game you can’t control.
The girls of Red Velvet have returned with their third mini album, Russian Roulette, and single of the same name.
Earlier this year, Red Velvet released The Velvet EP with title track “One of These Nights,” which was the follow up to the group’s first full album, The Red. The release of Russian Roulette on Tuesday brings the girls back to their vivid music style—in contrast to The Red, which showcased their softer side and vocal talents.
“Russian Roulette” is a cute and bubbly song, complemented by the bright colors of the music video. Red Velvet’s sugar-coated voices in conjunction with an upbeat melody make it impossible not to bob your head to the music.
But don’t be fooled—its cheerful sound juxtaposes the catastrophic and lethal pranks the girls play on each other in the video. While the song sounds fun and adorable, the members show their dark side with stone-faced stares and subtle smirks. In one way or another, each member meets her unexpected demise, like a game of Russian Roulette.
The release comes with six other tracks, each sporting light, electro-pop elements. Red Velvet will perform “Russian Roulette” for the first time live on Thursday’s episode of M!Countdown.
Sherry Tucci is a fandom reporter who specializes in Korean pop culture and anime. In addition to her work at the Daily Dot, her reporting has appeared in the Daily Texan.