- ‘Game of Thrones’ failed women—and it’s a shame on its legacy Today 7:40 AM
- How to use Tor, the network that lets you browse the web anonymously Today 7:30 AM
- How to live stream Devin Haney vs. Antonio Moran on DAZN Today 7:00 AM
- Trump’s transphobic policies are disgusting—but they aren’t new Today 6:30 AM
- How to watch the Copa del Rey Final online for free Today 5:45 AM
- How to watch the DFB-Pokal final for free Today 5:30 AM
- Curvy Wife Guy drops music video for rap song ‘Chubby Sexy’ Friday 7:33 PM
- A ‘Black Mirror’-inspired miniseries is coming to YouTube via Netflix Latin America Friday 5:56 PM
- Kanye West appears on David Letterman’s Netflix show to talk Trump, TMZ, and Drake Friday 3:27 PM
- QAnon believers link small-town arrest to deep state conspiracy without evidence Friday 1:58 PM
- Instagram photos showing prison conditions spark massive protest Friday 1:33 PM
- ‘Gay rat wedding’ headline sparks amazing new meme Friday 1:03 PM
- ‘I read a gossip piece’ meme mocks Moby’s Instagram post Friday 12:39 PM
- Rotten Tomatoes wants to see your ticket stub to leave a verified review Friday 11:46 AM
- ‘Sonic the Hedgehog’ movie delayed to 2020 to fix his look Friday 11:39 AM
84-year-old Quincy Jones says he once went on a date with Ivanka Trump
Say what now?
The celebrity gossip mill is in overdrive after music legend Quincy Jones spilled decades’ worth of tea in a candid interview with Vulture on Wednesday.
The 28-time Grammy winner has a Netflix documentary in the works, a CBS special hosted by Oprah Winfrey on the horizon, and apparently, he’s ready to share some of the personal opinions and Hollywood secrets he’s been holding onto all these years. (Marlon Brando slept with a lot of prominent male celebrities back in the day! Michael Jackson stole the melody to “Billie Jean”! Jimi Hendrix was too nervous to hang out with the cool kids!). The most relevant story to 2018, though, is probably the tale of a date he went on years ago with the president’s daughter and close advisor Ivanka Trump.
The interview jumps from topic to topic and covers a huge amount of ground in a short amount of time, which Jones credits to being a Pisces. During a discussion about how racism has evolved in his lifetime, Jones touches on the topic of our current president, which reminds him of his one-time date with Ivanka. According to Jones, the pair went out to dinner after being introduced by Tommy Hilfiger, and while he admits he was attracted to her, he ultimately decided she had the “wrong father.”
If you could snap your fingers and fix one problem in the country, what would it be?
Racism. I’ve been watching it a long time — the ’30s to now. We’ve come a long way but we’ve got a long way to go. The South has always been fucked up, but you know where you stand. The racism in the North is disguised. You never know where you stand. That’s why what’s happening now is good, because people are saying they are racists who didn’t used to say it. Now we know.
What’s stirred everything up? Is it all about Trumpism?
It’s Trump and uneducated rednecks. Trump is just telling them what they want to hear. I used to hang out with him. He’s a crazy motherfucker. Limited mentally — a megalomaniac, narcissistic. I can’t stand him. I used to date Ivanka, you know.
Yes, sir. Twelve years ago. Tommy Hilfiger, who was working with my daughter Kidada (A former model and current designer, Kidada is the daughter of Jones and his ex-wife Peggy Lipton. Jones’s other daughter with Lipton is the actress Rashida Jones.) said, “Ivanka wants to have dinner with you.” I said, “No problem. She’s a fine motherfucker.” She had the most beautiful legs I ever saw in my life. Wrong father, though.
The entire interview continues on like that, with Jones flitting from topic to topic, casually dropping wild-sounding anecdotes and then moving on to the next reveal before anyone has time to catch up. After the Ivanka story, Jones pivots to whether Oprah would make a good president and they never look back.
Reactions have been all over the place on Twitter:
Quincy Jones: Michael Jackson was greedy. The Beatles sucked. Jimi Hendrix was afraid. Marlon Brando had sex with James Baldwin. Cyndi Lauper is a diva. U2 is over the hill. Tevin Campbell is underrated. Trump is an "idiot." And I used to date Ivanka. https://t.co/px9EmAkqEA
— Keith Boykin (@keithboykin) February 7, 2018
Quincy Jones: Ivanka has the most beautiful legs I ever saw in my life. Wrong father, though.
Donald: THAT'S WHAT I HAVE BEEN SAYING!
— Frederick Douglass (@gettinnoticedmo) February 7, 2018
Quincy Jones says he “dated” Ivanka Trump when he was in his mid-70’s and she was in her mid-twenties. But as a lady who has had invitations to dinner misread: just because he thought it was a date doesn’t mean she did
— erin ryan (@morninggloria) February 7, 2018
Hold up. Quincy Jones used to date Donald Trump’s daughter Ivanka Trump? My laptop pic.twitter.com/mVSu2yFKJx
— Tariq Nasheed (@tariqnasheed) February 7, 2018
Whether we’ll ever hear more about the date remains to be seen, but we’ve definitely learned one thing in all this: Quincy Jones has lived a truly wild life.
Christine Friar is a writer and editor in New York who focuses on streaming entertainment and internet culture. Her work has appeared in the Awl, the Fader, New York Magazine, Paper Magazine, Vogue, Elle, and more.