- ‘American Dirt’ controversy inspires meme about Latinx stereotypes in literature Wednesday 9:02 PM
- What is the TikTok ‘flex challenge’? Wednesday 8:03 PM
- GoFundMe to send ‘Target Tori’ on vacation raises more than $30K Wednesday 6:54 PM
- Furries stop domestic assault in viral video Wednesday 6:10 PM
- Gritty under police investigation for allegedly punching a teen fan Wednesday 6:04 PM
- Twitter users throw animal parties with emoji in new meme Wednesday 5:21 PM
- Woman who went viral supporting Soleimani killing exposed as Libyan militia lobbyist Wednesday 5:01 PM
- Jeff Bezos subtweets Saudi prince following phone hack report Wednesday 3:29 PM
- ‘Yeah, good. OK’ Bernie Sanders meme is a new way to dismiss people Wednesday 3:10 PM
- ‘Vanderpump Rules’ recap: Petty displays of affection Wednesday 2:12 PM
- Makeup artist transforms into Timothée Chalamet on TikTok Wednesday 1:54 PM
- Iguanas are falling from trees—and people are selling them online for food Wednesday 1:02 PM
- 75,000 sign petition to fire Wendy Williams after ‘cleft lip’ comment about Joaquin Phoenix Wednesday 12:30 PM
- Kim Kardashian says Kylie Jenner’s setting spray is ‘cheap sh*t’ Wednesday 11:59 AM
- Trump continues to demand Apple unlock iPhones for the government Wednesday 11:46 AM
‘Power Rangers’ to return to the big screen in live-action reboot
It’s morphin’ time!
After a 17-year absence, the Power Rangers are set to go-go back to the big screen.
Saban and Lionsgate Entertainment announced that the colorful, Zord-building group will indeed be making a comeback to movie theaters. So far, no official release date has been revealed, but Power Rangers fans are no doubt excited to see their favorite heroes’ long-awaited return. It will be the group’s first theatrical appearance since Turbo: A Power Rangers Movie was released to critical failure in 1997.
So they are remaking the Power Rangers movie. My Wednesday has been made.
— Dustin Belt (@dbeltwrites) May 7, 2014
The movie appears to be a reboot of the franchise, meaning that producers will likely be searching for new teenage actors to fill the roles. In other words, for the first time in years, it looks like someone other than Jason David Frank will assume the role of Tommy the Green Ranger, as Frank is now 40 years old.
A new mighty morphin power rangers movie? My inner child has never been more excited than right now.
— Dan Smith (@smitherz64) May 7, 2014
In addition to Turbo and its predecessor, Mighty Morphin’ Power Rangers: The Movie, the Power Rangers franchise has spawned 17–yes, 17-live-action TV series since its American debut in 1993. The most recent of the series, Power Rangers: Super Megaforce, premiered on February 15, 2014.
Mike Fenn is a former contributor to the Daily Dot whose beats included Reddit, YouTube, and all things WTF. His work has also appeared in Forbes and News.com.au.