- Philadelphia to fire 13 officers for racist, violent Facebook posts Saturday 6:12 PM
- Nick Offerman is so down to play every single role in ‘Cats’ Saturday 4:27 PM
- Woman documents how airport staff broke her wheelchair Saturday 3:04 PM
- Funeral home allegedly posted photos of woman’s dead body on social media Saturday 1:56 PM
- Alinity Divine is being investigated after throwing her cat during stream (updated) Saturday 12:04 PM
- ‘Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee’ returns with Seinfeld making a racist joke about China Saturday 10:26 AM
- YouTubers Eugenia Cooney and Shane Dawson make a joint comeback Saturday 9:06 AM
- The crushing effects of Trump’s abortion ‘gag rule’ on healthcare Saturday 8:00 AM
- How to live stream Pacquiao vs. Thurman Saturday 6:20 AM
- Review: Hulu with Live TV ensures you always have something to watch Saturday 6:00 AM
- How to live stream UFC on ESPN 4: Rafael dos Anjos vs. Leon Edwards Saturday 5:49 AM
- 2020 Democrats refuse to answer our questions about ‘Cats’ Friday 4:14 PM
- Belle Delphine’s Instagram account removed after mass reporting campaign Friday 4:08 PM
- Mariah Carey refuses old-age FaceApp challenge Friday 3:19 PM
- Journalists horrified by consolidation of Gatehouse, Gannett Friday 3:12 PM
Petition demands Oscars ban Casey Affleck from 2018 ceremony
An online petition aims to ban actor Casey Affleck from the 2018 Academy Awards because of past sexual harassment allegations made against him.
Affleck took home the best actor Oscar for his role in Manchester by the Sea this year, meaning that he would be the presenter for the 2018 best actor award. The petition demands Affleck be barred from the 2018 Oscars and references Harvey Weinstein and his ongoing wave of sexual assault allegations.
“The Academy Awards recently voted to strip Weinstein of his membership—but did you know that another accused sexual harasser is set to participate in the 2018 ceremony?” The petition reads. “With so many incredible accusations against him, the Academy should take action against Affleck and ban him from participating in the ceremony.”
In 2010 two women working with Affleck filed sexual harassment suits against him, one woman suing him for $2 million and the other for $2.25 million. The cases were both settled in court in 2010 for an undisclosed amount. Affleck has denied these allegations.
After his 2017 Oscar honor, many were upset that Affleck won in the first place.
Boys! BUY ur way out of trouble by settling out of court!Just do a good acting job,thats all that matters!bc Art isn't about humanity,right?— Constance Wu (@ConstanceWu) January 24, 2017
Casey Affleck is avoiding eye contact with every woman in the room. #Oscars— ClickHole (@ClickHole) February 27, 2017
Can we check Best Actor again— B.J. Novak (@bjnovak) February 27, 2017
The creator of the online petition, Cameron Bossert, said he is a filmmaker and he wants to know that the industry he is entering respects and protects everyone, regardless of gender. “Let’s stop honoring people like Weinstein and Affleck and hold them accountable for their actions,” he wrote.
The Academy has not commented on Affleck. The 90th Academy Awards will take place on March 4, 2018.
Brianna Stone is a reporter and digital producer. Her work has been published by the Austin American-Statesman, the Daily Dot, and USA Today.