- YouTube love triangle: ProJared’s mistress Commander Holly makes startling accusations 2 Years Ago
- Middle schoolers investigated for allegedly serving semen crepes to teachers 2 Years Ago
- Memelord from Reddit’s r/The_Donald joins Trump onstage at rally 2 Years Ago
- Read the wild list of demands Trump’s possible new immigration czar had Today 8:48 AM
- Here’s what’s coming and going on Hulu in June 2019 Today 7:30 AM
- Hulu and George Clooney strike gold with ‘Catch-22’ Today 7:00 AM
- How to cut the cord when you’re broke Today 6:30 AM
- Jazz pianist turns Cardi B flex video, James Charles apology into viral bops Today 6:28 AM
- How to watch Netflix on Linux Today 6:00 AM
- Fortnite streamer Tfue sues gaming organization FaZe Clan over contract dispute Today 12:28 AM
- Report finds some users can’t opt out of Facebook’s face recognition Monday 7:27 PM
- Get emotional over this real-life pastor baptizing an anime girl in virtual reality Monday 6:53 PM
- Twitter wants to know what Jack in the Box did to offend Kim Kardashian Monday 6:38 PM
- ‘Game of Thrones’ meme claims King’s Landing is an ‘inside job’ Monday 6:06 PM
- Report: Personal data of 49 million Instagram influencers exposed online Monday 4:57 PM
Petition demands Oscars ban Casey Affleck from 2018 ceremony
An online petition aims to ban actor Casey Affleck from the 2018 Academy Awards because of past sexual harassment allegations made against him.
Affleck took home the best actor Oscar for his role in Manchester by the Sea this year, meaning that he would be the presenter for the 2018 best actor award. The petition demands Affleck be barred from the 2018 Oscars and references Harvey Weinstein and his ongoing wave of sexual assault allegations.
“The Academy Awards recently voted to strip Weinstein of his membership—but did you know that another accused sexual harasser is set to participate in the 2018 ceremony?” The petition reads. “With so many incredible accusations against him, the Academy should take action against Affleck and ban him from participating in the ceremony.”
In 2010 two women working with Affleck filed sexual harassment suits against him, one woman suing him for $2 million and the other for $2.25 million. The cases were both settled in court in 2010 for an undisclosed amount. Affleck has denied these allegations.
After his 2017 Oscar honor, many were upset that Affleck won in the first place.
Boys! BUY ur way out of trouble by settling out of court!Just do a good acting job,thats all that matters!bc Art isn't about humanity,right?
— Constance Wu (@ConstanceWu) January 24, 2017
Casey Affleck is avoiding eye contact with every woman in the room. #Oscars
— ClickHole (@ClickHole) February 27, 2017
Can we check Best Actor again
— B.J. Novak (@bjnovak) February 27, 2017
The creator of the online petition, Cameron Bossert, said he is a filmmaker and he wants to know that the industry he is entering respects and protects everyone, regardless of gender. “Let’s stop honoring people like Weinstein and Affleck and hold them accountable for their actions,” he wrote.
The Academy has not commented on Affleck. The 90th Academy Awards will take place on March 4, 2018.
Brianna Stone is a reporter and digital producer. Her work has been published by the Austin American-Statesman, the Daily Dot, and USA Today.