- Netflix will remove controversial disaster footage from ‘Bird Box’ Sunday 4:04 PM
- J.K. Rowling’s latest ‘Fantastic Beasts’ reveal is bringing the memes Sunday 3:01 PM
- President Trump calls for government agencies to ‘look into’ ‘Saturday Night Live’ Sunday 12:18 PM
- How to stream Michael Conlan vs. Ruben Garcia Hernandez for free Sunday 11:00 AM
- ‘Pet Sematary’ is a bloodless remake of a Stephen King classic Sunday 10:50 AM
- Here’s the Marvel movie order list you didn’t know you needed Sunday 9:59 AM
- Where do 2020 Democratic candidates stand on weed? Sunday 7:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Billions’ season 4 for free Sunday 6:30 AM
- If you’re not using Vudu, you’re missing out Sunday 6:00 AM
- Everything you need to know about WhatsApp Sunday 5:30 AM
- ‘The Inventor: Out for Blood in Silicon Valley’ tries to get a read on Elizabeth Holmes Saturday 1:57 PM
- ‘Band Together with Logic’ shows us the best of the Internet Saturday 1:32 PM
- How to watch Spence vs. Garcia online Saturday 12:00 PM
- Far-right Australian politician gets egged by teen on video Saturday 11:28 AM
- Inside the solar-powered van that’s recording your favorite bands Saturday 10:48 AM
Petition demands Oscars ban Casey Affleck from 2018 ceremony
An online petition aims to ban actor Casey Affleck from the 2018 Academy Awards because of past sexual harassment allegations made against him.
Affleck took home the best actor Oscar for his role in Manchester by the Sea this year, meaning that he would be the presenter for the 2018 best actor award. The petition demands Affleck be barred from the 2018 Oscars and references Harvey Weinstein and his ongoing wave of sexual assault allegations.
“The Academy Awards recently voted to strip Weinstein of his membership—but did you know that another accused sexual harasser is set to participate in the 2018 ceremony?” The petition reads. “With so many incredible accusations against him, the Academy should take action against Affleck and ban him from participating in the ceremony.”
In 2010 two women working with Affleck filed sexual harassment suits against him, one woman suing him for $2 million and the other for $2.25 million. The cases were both settled in court in 2010 for an undisclosed amount. Affleck has denied these allegations.
After his 2017 Oscar honor, many were upset that Affleck won in the first place.
Boys! BUY ur way out of trouble by settling out of court!Just do a good acting job,thats all that matters!bc Art isn't about humanity,right?
— Constance Wu (@ConstanceWu) January 24, 2017
Casey Affleck is avoiding eye contact with every woman in the room. #Oscars
— ClickHole (@ClickHole) February 27, 2017
Can we check Best Actor again
— B.J. Novak (@bjnovak) February 27, 2017
The creator of the online petition, Cameron Bossert, said he is a filmmaker and he wants to know that the industry he is entering respects and protects everyone, regardless of gender. “Let’s stop honoring people like Weinstein and Affleck and hold them accountable for their actions,” he wrote.
The Academy has not commented on Affleck. The 90th Academy Awards will take place on March 4, 2018.
Brianna Stone is a reporter and digital producer. Her work has been published by the Austin American-Statesman, the Daily Dot, and USA Today.