- Network of fake news sites in Michigan appears to be right-wing propaganda effort Today 6:30 AM
- ‘BoJack Horseman’ hints at a brutal reckoning in its final season Today 5:30 AM
- How to stream Barcelona vs. Slavia Praha in the Champions League Today 2:00 AM
- How to stream Chelsea vs. Ajax in the Champions League Today 1:00 AM
- People are using #WheresLindsey to criticize Graham over Trump ‘lynching’ defense Tuesday 8:22 PM
- 2 Proud Boys sentenced to 4 years in prison for attacking antifa protesters Tuesday 7:20 PM
- Paul Joseph Watson is very upset by bartender serving beer with her butt Tuesday 6:24 PM
- Twitter developing a policy to combat deepfakes Tuesday 5:28 PM
- The Nate Diaz vs. Jorge Masvidal bout at UFC 244 is perfect for NYC and its fight mecca Tuesday 5:27 PM
- Alexis Bledel named most dangerous online celebrity Tuesday 5:02 PM
- Kylie Jenner trademarks ‘rise and shine’ after meme success Tuesday 4:50 PM
- ‘Watchmen’ website expands what you know about its alt-history Tuesday 4:31 PM
- Smoke ’em, pass ’em Week 8: Mark Walton szn Tuesday 4:26 PM
- Venmo’s first-ever credit card to launch in 2020 Tuesday 3:46 PM
- Wet Kylo Ren may turn everyone to the dark side Tuesday 3:15 PM
Instead of laughs, Pete Davidson delivered an angry screed during a portion of his standup set on Monday night.
A video has emerged of the Saturday Night Live comedian yelling at a University of Central Florida crowd after audience members began recording video on their phones. Davidson excoriated the student audience for over a minute and threatened to cut his appearance short.
“I don’t have to be here. I can just give them their money back because I don’t give a fuck,” Davidson yelled.
He added that the university, located in Orlando, is in the “middle of fucking nowhere.” He went on to call the audience members “privileged little assholes.” He also said the students were “fucking retarded.”
Davidson ultimately continued with his performance after the tirade, and for the most part, it appears that his rant got more laughs than boos, though some seemed to watch in stunned silence.
He added that the students should “fucking grow up.”
Afterward, a number of UCF students took to social media to complain about Davidson’s behavior.
if you saw pete davidson tonight at ucf ... we all came out of this uncomfortable ass experience closer together— 𝕵𝖚𝖑𝖎𝖆 (@this_is_spiffy) August 27, 2019
My favorite part about Pete Davidson at UCF is when he told us we were lame and that he could just text up all his comedian friends and they would never come to our school as if he was thanos or something— Sammi (@Sammijoll) August 27, 2019
i cant believe ucf dropped some of our tuition money just so pete davidson can flame us and then tell us masturbation jokes— Joshua (@pmdjoshua) August 27, 2019
Mark Schlueb, a spokesman for UCF, told the Hollywood Reporter, “Mr. Davidson’s abusive language, particularly his use of a derogatory slur, is contrary to the University of Central Florida’s values of inclusion and respect for all. It’s disappointing that his rant spoiled an event that was meant to welcome students back for the fall semester.”
As comedians attempt to control the use of video recording during their performances, whether with Yondr pouches, security staff, or onstage warnings, tensions between standup comics and audience members have become more common.
Davidson’s reaction, of course, is extraordinary, and ironically created a viral moment by telling people not to use their phones.
- Kim Kardashian, Kanye West, Timothée Chalamet, and Kid Cudi had dinner. Pete Davidson paid
- Pete Davidson is OK and at work following alarming Instagram post
- Ariana Grande and Pete Davidson post-breakup sightings are inspiring memes
H/T the Hollywood Reporter
Brenden Gallagher is a politics reporter and cultural commentator. His work has been published by Motherboard, Complex, and VH1. He’s the co-founder of Beer Money Films, an indie production company. Based in Los Angeles, he works in television drama as a writers assistant.