- How to stream Liverpool vs. Chelsea Friday 6:45 PM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. Sevilla Friday 6:35 PM
- How to stream Peter ‘Kid Chocolate’ Quillin vs. Alfredo Angulo Friday 5:16 PM
- How to stream Barcelona vs. Granada Friday 4:50 PM
- ‘Atlantics’ tells a ghost story steeped with emotion and realism Friday 4:16 PM
- ‘Jojo Rabbit’ is a sweet, singular movie that loses its grip on satire Friday 3:40 PM
- Jordan Peterson is in rehab for Klonopin addiction Friday 3:34 PM
- The cat-worshipping turkey cult video, explained Friday 3:22 PM
- Despite legal threats and drama, the Area 51 desert event is on Friday 3:05 PM
- How to stream Yair Rodriguez vs. Jeremy Stephens on UFC Fight Night Friday 3:00 PM
- Twitter just launched its ‘Hide Replies’ feature Friday 1:59 PM
- How to turn off image metadata before it snitches on you Friday 1:36 PM
- The ‘Breaking Bad’ movie is coming to theaters—for one weekend only Friday 1:04 PM
- Teens recorded, shared videos of mall fight that ended in fatal stabbing Friday 12:44 PM
- How to stream Giants vs. Buccaneers in Week 3 Friday 12:31 PM
On Tuesday morning, history was made when the nominations for the annual 59th Grammy Awards were released, giving Beyoncé a total of nine in favor of her revolutionary album Lemonade. But people are losing their minds over one nomination, as her track “Don’t Hurt Yourself,” featuring Jack White, is up for best rock performance.
Die-hard fans of good ol’ rock n’ roll are questioning why the pop and R&B artist is even considered in a rock category, completely ignoring the fact that Detroit rocker Jack White is part of the nomination as well, and the hard-rocking song itself. Fans are saying “rock is dead” and accusing the Grammys of being “a joke,” but needless to say the reactions to boundaries being challenged are to be expected.
Grammy nominations always make me so livid. Beyonce for best rock performance? purpose as album of the year????
— Maggie Arndt (@MaggieArndt) December 6, 2016
I like Beyoncé but the Grammy nominations are such a joke. How is she nominated for every category including “Best Rock Performance”? 😑
— Ashley Rodriguez (@ashrodriguez_1) December 6, 2016
beyonce for best rock performance ?? im sorry but lmfao
— v (@amybroohkeimer) December 6, 2016
why is beyoncé nominated for best rock performance? her music isn’t even close to rock. this is ridiculous and it’s made me very upset.
— rose (@RiverRoseRed) December 6, 2016
9 GRAMMY NOMINATIONS? HOW? They deadass gave Beyoncé a rock nomination im screamingghdhfhzbs
— 🎈 (@BitchyDaniXO) December 6, 2016
But some people decided to cope with the fact that Yoncé is, in fact, the “Queen B.”
Not fully unsatisfied w/ the Grammy nominations bc they are what they are. But lol to Beyonce as rock performance. That woman can do it all.
— Vanye (@vanvannnnn) December 6, 2016
LMAO Beyonce managed to slide her way onto the Best Rock Performance on the Grammy nominations. I love it.
— beth noelle🌹 (@nakedmagic) December 6, 2016
Beyoncé made Grammy history with being the 1st artist to be nominated in the pop, rap, rock & R&B categories all in the same year!
— Mary O. (@LuckeeLefty11) December 6, 2016
The singer is nominated for record of the year, album of the year, song of the year, best music video, and other well-deserved nods. For best rock performance, Beyoncé will be up against Alabama Shakes’s “Joe (Live From the Artist Den),” David Bowie’s “Blackstar,” Disturbed’s “The Sound of Silence,” and Twenty One Pilots’s “Heathens.”
Beyoncé made history in becoming the most nominated female artist in Grammy history with 62 nominations and 20 wins. Now we will just see if she makes history again, winning best rock performance to show these haters she ain’t sorry.
Kristen Hubby is a tech and lifestyle reporter. Her writing focuses on sex, pop culture, streaming entertainment, and social media, with an emphasis on major platforms like Snapchat, YouTube, and Spotify. Her work has also appeared in Austin Monthly and the Austin American-Statesman, where she covered local news and the dining scene in Austin, Texas.