- Polar Peak in Fortnite is cracking, and players think a dragon may be beneath the ice 6 Years Ago
- ‘Rise of Skywalker’ first look reveals mysterious new characters 6 Years Ago
- Meet the anti-choice, pro-NRA Trump supporter challenging Rep. Justin Amash 6 Years Ago
- Moby attempts to prove he dated Natalie Portman with a shirtless photo 6 Years Ago
- After feuding with James Charles, Tati Westbrook angers the YouTube community Today 11:06 AM
- Does Keri Russell’s ‘Rise of Skywalker’ character have an offensive name in Spanish? Today 10:59 AM
- It’s not clear if Ralph Northam is in racist yearbook photo, investigators say Today 10:48 AM
- The atonement of an alt-right troll Today 9:25 AM
- #StopTheBans protests draw thousands across the country in support of abortion rights Today 9:24 AM
- North Korea is using Trump’s low IQ attack on Joe Biden Today 9:14 AM
- How to watch ‘Kidding’ for free Today 8:00 AM
- What’s the deal with Bran Stark at the end of ‘Game of Thrones’? Today 6:30 AM
- How to watch TruTV online for free Today 6:00 AM
- Fans call out Madonna for edited Eurovision video Tuesday 9:36 PM
- Partnered Twitch streamer temporarily banned for airing troll’s racist message Tuesday 8:45 PM
Hennessy Youngman’s NSA mixtape is the soundtrack for paranoia
This might be the first time J. Edgar Hoover and Eric Holder are both mentioned in a mixtape.
Hennessy Youngman is the alter ego of New York City artist Jayson Musson. His mixtape series, “CVS Bangers,” is an expertly woven tapestry of rap horn, gunshot samples, distracting mixtape shout-outs, and songs you might hear while shopping at CVS. (You haven’t lived until you’ve heard “Lady in Red” with rap horn.) Once upon a time, he also hosted an excellent YouTube series called Art Thoughtz.
His latest mix takes on a timely topic: the National Security Agency. Over on his Soundcloud, he explains why the jam, titled “NSA Bangers,” is so necessary:
“NSA BANGERS is an audio landscape full of paranoia, espionage, epic snooping, unhealthy obsession, and the stress of being a contemporary type human being. Basically, NSA BANGERS is the soundtrack of Freedom! And Freedom is expensive y’all! Apparently, it like, costs your Freedom!”
This might be the first time J. Edgar Hoover and Eric Holder are both mentioned in a mixtape. “NSA Bangers” also samples Queen and David Bowie’s “Under Pressure,” Geto Boys’s “Mind Playing Tricks on Me,” and Hall & Oates’s “Private Eyes,” which is, amazingly, improved upon with a well-placed rap horn sample.
Screengrab via HennessyYoungman/YouTube
Audra Schroeder is the Daily Dot’s senior entertainment writer, and she focuses on streaming, comedy, and music. Her work has previously appeared in the Austin Chronicle, the Dallas Observer, NPR, ESPN, Bitch, and the Village Voice. She is based in Austin, Texas.