- A police union is urging its officers to post ‘The Punisher’ logo Monday 7:33 PM
- Redditors call for a Nestlé boycott through memes Monday 6:16 PM
- How a 10-second Disney jingle became a meme in Thailand Monday 4:48 PM
- Instagram users share photos showing gruesome killing of 17-year-old Bianca Devins Monday 4:33 PM
- The horror game banned for mocking China’s president probably isn’t coming back Monday 3:31 PM
- Cheap vibrators, condoms, and lube: The most satisfying Amazon Prime Day deals Monday 3:07 PM
- George R.R. Martin says fan backlash won’t affect his ‘Game of Thrones’ ending Monday 3:03 PM
- The very finest Area 51 memes Monday 2:52 PM
- Tweet map ranks states where people are boycotting Amazon Prime Day Monday 1:54 PM
- Lil Nas X says he will perform at Area 51 for free Monday 12:56 PM
- The best Prime Day deals for gamers Monday 12:53 PM
- How Republicans are dancing around Trump’s racist tweets Monday 12:42 PM
- Not even anti-immigrant groups are defending Trump’s ‘go back’ tweets Monday 12:37 PM
- Netflix’s latest chase thriller ‘Point Blank’ lacks electricity Monday 12:27 PM
- Jay Inslee floats Megan Rapinoe as his secretary of state pick Monday 11:33 AM
Eggplant emoji, anyone?
Netflix debuted a couple features this week, including a new vessel for recommendations: Recomoji.
According to a video posted on Tuesday, Netflix is very invested in your feelings, and partnered with Facebook Messenger to help tailor recommendations to your feelings. And by feelings we mean emoji.
If you open up the link in the video, you’ll be taken to Messenger, but you must click “Get Started” to initiate a conversation, and Netflix will be allowed to see your public info. If you’re OK with that, you can start dropping emoji into Messenger and Netflix’s red-and-white-clad minions will return a recommendation of a movie or series. You can use Recomoji on the Facebook Messenger app or desktop.
Recomoji | Netflix
We took “What Are You In The Mood To Watch?” a little too seriously. Try it now: m.me/netflixusPosted by Netflix on Tuesday, July 17, 2018
We tried out a few of the more elicit emoji, naturally. The purple eggplant received recommendations for Grace and Frankie and American Vandal, but it didn’t quite recognize the tone of the peach emoji.
And we’re really not sure what it picked up from this finger emoji combo to return The Emoji Movie.
You can also ask for new recommendations, and this kind of interface is almost more enjoyable than scrolling through Netflix’s frustrating homepage.
Speaking of which, Netflix also announced it redesigned the TV interface to make it easier to navigate. Newly added content will apparently be easier to find via remote, according to a blog post from Director of Product Innovation Stephen Garcia. And a sidebar addition will allow subscribers to scroll movies and series quicker, as there are now actual subheads for them.
Netflix also announced that its vault of standup comedy specials will be coming to SiriusXM. You’ll be able to hear clips from original specials, Netflix talk shows, and it will also air original programming, starting in January 2019.
Audra Schroeder is the Daily Dot’s senior entertainment writer, and she focuses on streaming, comedy, and music. Her work has previously appeared in the Austin Chronicle, the Dallas Observer, NPR, ESPN, Bitch, and the Village Voice. She is based in Austin, Texas.