- People are making dark memes about the coronavirus 3 Years Ago
- Trump camp’s ‘head on a pike’ impeachment threat hit with memes 3 Years Ago
- What is the #FreeBritney movement, and why is Cher tweeting about it? Today 10:52 AM
- This YouTuber claims the Saudi government plotted to kidnap him on U.S. soil Today 10:30 AM
- Report: Jack Dorsey declined to host a fundraiser for Tulsi Gabbard Today 10:22 AM
- Bernie Sanders plugs Joe Rogan endorsement—and women are furious Today 10:04 AM
- Young woman using TikTok to document the end of her life says she’s dying next week Today 8:43 AM
- London’s real-time facial recognition program a ‘breathtaking assault’ on civil rights Today 8:23 AM
- Disney’s Obi-Wan Kenobi miniseries is now on hold Today 6:47 AM
- The coronavirus outbreak has become a breeding ground of misinformation Today 6:30 AM
- Muslim girls are making fun of Islamophobia in viral TikTok videos Thursday 8:34 PM
- Kendall Jenner’s ‘cruel’ dog collar sparks online debate Thursday 8:04 PM
- All ‘The Witcher’ content you can gobble up once you finish the Netflix series Thursday 7:47 PM
- Tinder adding a ‘panic button’ for when dates go awry Thursday 6:14 PM
- Webcam footage of ‘Bigfoot’ shared by state government agency Thursday 5:47 PM
The series captures a lesser-publicized side of the Southeast Asian nation, separate from the tourist attractions and beaches Americans may recognize, and focuses on the growing community of people in the country who are fighting to legalize weed. The series “probes pot’s legal status, history that relates to the U.S. role in the Vietnam War, and presents today’s marijuana entrepreneurs.”
While the production quality isn’t quite there, it’s definitely a branch into more millennial-friendly, Viceland-style programming for the streaming giant, which tends to pad its original documentary section with true crime and music.
Highland is available immediately for streaming.
Christine Friar is a writer and editor in New York who focuses on streaming entertainment and internet culture. Her work has appeared in the Awl, the Fader, New York Magazine, Paper Magazine, Vogue, Elle, and more.