- 2020 Democrats refuse to answer our questions about ‘Cats’ Friday 4:14 PM
- Belle Delphine’s Instagram account removed after mass reporting campaign Friday 4:08 PM
- Mariah Carey refuses old-age FaceApp challenge Friday 3:19 PM
- Journalists horrified by consolidation of Gatehouse, Gannett Friday 3:12 PM
- Facebook and Google could be tracking you on porn sites Friday 1:42 PM
- 7 best sites for psychic love readings Friday 1:20 PM
- Driver demonstrates why you always need to read road signs Friday 12:58 PM
- Area 51 remix video proves it’s the summer of Lil Nas X Friday 12:26 PM
- ‘ICE will come’: Convenience store clerk threatens customers speaking Spanish Friday 12:11 PM
- Rand Paul dodges questions about 9/11 Victims Fund, says ‘watch Fox News’ Friday 11:51 AM
- Report: ‘Stranger Things’ season 4 to begin shooting in October Friday 11:03 AM
- AT&T paid Michael Cohen to consult on net neutrality, FBI documents show Friday 9:10 AM
- Mysterio’s ruse changes on a second viewing of ‘Far From Home’ Friday 9:06 AM
- Twitter overturns Barrett Brown’s third permanent suspension Friday 8:49 AM
- How to live stream Liga MX Friday 7:56 AM
The octogenarian star watched fellow countryman Andy Murray’s U.S. Open win.
Here at the Daily Dot, we swap GIF images with each other every morning. Now we’re looping you in. In the Morning GIF, we feature a popular—or just plain cool—GIF we found on Reddit, Canvas, or elsewhere on the Internet.
Tennis fancier, Scottish nationalist, actor, knight, and avatar of awesomeness Sir Thomas Sean Connery, also occasionally known as Bond, James Bond, is a man of passionate enthusiasms, particularly for all things Scottish.
Yesterday the octogenarian star crashed fellow Scot Andy Murray’s post-tennis press conference in the lead-up to the finals of the U.S. Open. “You smell of wine,” the nonplussed Murray told his illustrious fan. Watching Murray win the U.S. Open, he could not or would not contain his enthusiasm, becoming in the process something of a social media muse to tweeter and freelance video editor CJ Fogler.
In a half-dozen tweets and Twitpics, Fogler chronicles the emotional journey of Sir Sean throughout the match. “Seeing Sean Connery in oversized sunglasses means a little of me died inside #USOpen twitpic.com/at9yep” he tweeted. Well, everyone’s the fashion police nowadays. Later: “Pleased to see Sean Connery back on my TV, with a blanket to ward off the chill twitpic.com/atbkbr ”
But best of all, in a GIF that will go down in U.S. Open history, the Outer Hebrides met Jersey Shore, and the Internet rejoiced. That’s right: Andy Murray won, and Sean Connery let ‘er fly.
Lorraine Murphy is an Ottawa-based cybersecurity journalist and founding editor of the Cryptosphere. She has a keen interest in WikiLeaks and web culture, and her bylines have appeared in Salon, Vanity Fair, Serious Eats, and elsewhere.