- HQ Trivia host and co-founder in Twitter feud amid shutdown 7 Years Ago
- YouTuber shamed for fake call with Caroline Flack after her death Today 10:59 AM
- This MAGA-loving Keanu Reeves imposter isn’t fooling anyone Today 10:16 AM
- How to watch ‘Outlander’ season 5 online Today 8:00 AM
- Kobe Bryant’s complicated online legacy isn’t buried with him Today 6:00 AM
- TikTok teen’s reaction to discovering boyfriend’s cheating goes viral Saturday 4:46 PM
- This may be the creepiest Amazon review you’ll ever read Saturday 3:58 PM
- Bill Maher booed on own show over defense of Bloomberg Saturday 3:37 PM
- Vidgo provides competitive streaming options in both English and Spanish Saturday 3:34 PM
- The Sun allegedly deletes negative Caroline Flack story after her death Saturday 2:48 PM
- How to watch ‘American Idol’ season 18 Saturday 2:00 PM
- James Blake defends girlfriend Jameela Jamil amid allegations she’s faking her illnesses Saturday 1:46 PM
- Viral video purports to show doctors with guns amid coronavirus outbreak Saturday 1:07 PM
- Russian YouTubers pretend to be Greta Thunberg, share alleged prank call with Bernie Sanders Saturday 11:07 AM
- TikTok teens are shaving off their eyebrows to ‘look like’ Kendall Jenner, Bella Hadid Saturday 10:25 AM
The Morning GIF: Sir Sean Connery approves
The octogenarian star watched fellow countryman Andy Murray’s U.S. Open win.
Here at the Daily Dot, we swap GIF images with each other every morning. Now we’re looping you in. In the Morning GIF, we feature a popular—or just plain cool—GIF we found on Reddit, Canvas, or elsewhere on the Internet.
Tennis fancier, Scottish nationalist, actor, knight, and avatar of awesomeness Sir Thomas Sean Connery, also occasionally known as Bond, James Bond, is a man of passionate enthusiasms, particularly for all things Scottish.
Yesterday the octogenarian star crashed fellow Scot Andy Murray’s post-tennis press conference in the lead-up to the finals of the U.S. Open. “You smell of wine,” the nonplussed Murray told his illustrious fan. Watching Murray win the U.S. Open, he could not or would not contain his enthusiasm, becoming in the process something of a social media muse to tweeter and freelance video editor CJ Fogler.
In a half-dozen tweets and Twitpics, Fogler chronicles the emotional journey of Sir Sean throughout the match. “Seeing Sean Connery in oversized sunglasses means a little of me died inside #USOpen twitpic.com/at9yep” he tweeted. Well, everyone’s the fashion police nowadays. Later: “Pleased to see Sean Connery back on my TV, with a blanket to ward off the chill twitpic.com/atbkbr ”
But best of all, in a GIF that will go down in U.S. Open history, the Outer Hebrides met Jersey Shore, and the Internet rejoiced. That’s right: Andy Murray won, and Sean Connery let ‘er fly.
Lorraine Murphy is an Ottawa-based cybersecurity journalist and founding editor of the Cryptosphere. She has a keen interest in WikiLeaks and web culture, and her bylines have appeared in Salon, Vanity Fair, Serious Eats, and elsewhere.