- Fans call out Madonna for edited Eurovision video Tuesday 9:36 PM
- Partnered Twitch streamer temporarily banned for airing troll’s racist message Tuesday 8:45 PM
- Reddit theory says fans are wrong about who won ‘Game of Thrones’ Tuesday 6:52 PM
- Elon Musk hires ‘absolute unit’ sheep meme creator to be Tesla’s social media manager Tuesday 6:12 PM
- Jason Momoa stands by his Khaleesi after the ‘Game of Thrones’ finale Tuesday 4:05 PM
- Airbnb, 23andMe partner for creepy heritage travel recommendations Tuesday 3:26 PM
- Rep. Katie Porter goes viral again for trouncing Ben Carson (updated) Tuesday 3:26 PM
- This deepfake takes Bill Hader’s Schwarzenegger impression to the next level Tuesday 2:58 PM
- Wanda Sykes rails against Trump and offers much-needed perspective in ‘Not Normal’ Tuesday 2:41 PM
- Man arrested after allegedly threatening to shoot YouTube employees Tuesday 2:13 PM
- Some House Dems are backing away from the Save the Internet Act Tuesday 1:40 PM
- Thousands sign petition calling for Danny DeVito to play Wolverine Tuesday 1:02 PM
- Jason Mitchell fired from ‘Desperados’ and ‘The Chi’ after misconduct allegations Tuesday 12:36 PM
- Police raid Black woman’s house after white neighbor complains about loud Malcolm X speeches Tuesday 12:20 PM
- ‘Transfixed’ says it’s a ‘breakthrough’ series, but it still fetishizes trans bodies Tuesday 11:04 AM
Horses can be profoundly goofy creatures.
Here at the Daily Dot, we swap GIF images with each other every morning. Now we’re looping you in. In the Morning GIF, we feature a popular—or just plain cool—GIF we found on Reddit, Canvas, or elsewhere on the Internet.
As the poet Robert Frost once put it in his 1918 poem “The Runaway”:
Once when the snow of the year was beginning to fall,
We stopped by a mountain pasture to say, “Whose colt?”
A little Morgan had one forefoot on the wall,
The other curled at his breast. He dipped his head
And snorted to us. And then we saw him bolt.
There is something simultaneously awe-inspiring and alarming about a horse that is anything other than placid. Half a ton of nervous, animated flesh could suddenly break into a run that would challenge a cheetah, leap a fence taller than your head, bite, rear, kick, or simply settle back down, and even for those who work with horses, it can sometimes be hard to predict which course will win out. Thank god they don’t see it this way, or we’d never have domesticated them!
As anyone who’s ever seen a horse roll in the dirt will attest, there’s also something strangely comical about them when they’re just hanging out, being horsy. A herd animal to the very core, they’re imbued with an endearing sense of self-consciousness that sometimes causes them to stop whatever it is they’re doing once they realize they’re being watched.
Stallion Ralphy here is blissfully free of a sense of embarrassment. As the alpha male in the barn, he knows is indeed All That and a Bag of Chips; he’s the equine version of the Fonz, and he doesn’t care who knows it. Thus, it would never occur to him that readers of the hometown paper of the World Wide Web could watch this GIF of him just shaking his head, smiling slightly, and consider it anything other than breathtakingly magnificent. Well, he is, of course, but he’s hilarious too. Shhhhh, don’t tell him.
Created by youthful horse fan and Tumblr user Coyotie, the GIF has garnered 8,342 notes in the two months it’s been online.
Lorraine Murphy is an Ottawa-based cybersecurity journalist and founding editor of the Cryptosphere. She has a keen interest in WikiLeaks and web culture, and her bylines have appeared in Salon, Vanity Fair, Serious Eats, and elsewhere.