- Ariana Grande spoke with TikTok teen who looks exactly like her Today 1:00 PM
- Beyoncé accused of paying dancers ‘low rates’ Today 11:58 AM
- Timmy Thick blasted for saying the N-word in comeback video Today 9:11 AM
- Netflix’s ‘The Confession Killer’ is a devastating and well-built portrait of a con artist Today 8:00 AM
- Swipe This! I’m ashamed to tell anyone about my online shopping habit Today 6:00 AM
- UPS facing backlash for thanking police after employee killed in shootout Saturday 5:02 PM
- Sanders campaign fires staffer after anti-Semitic, homophobic tweets surface Saturday 3:13 PM
- Brother Nature was attacked, says everyone just watched with phones out Saturday 2:45 PM
- Ryan Reynolds’ gin company hires Peloton wife for ad Saturday 1:24 PM
- Ex-vegan YouTuber accused of fraud after following meat-only diet Saturday 1:11 PM
- The 15 best Disney+ hidden gems and deep cuts Saturday 12:23 PM
- Everyone in GoFundMe scam involving homeless veteran has now pleaded guilty Saturday 12:06 PM
- Boy invites kindergarten class to his adoption–and people are emotional Saturday 11:56 AM
- Reddit links leaked trade deal documents to Russian campaign Saturday 10:44 AM
- How to stream Alistair Overeem vs. Jairzinho Rozenstruik Saturday 8:30 AM
The Morning GIF: Tuesday, January 24
Chicago’s Miryuu Chann put an unexpected twist on Beauty and the Beast with a cameo from Sir Nigel Archibald Thornberry.
Here at the Daily Dot, we have an unofficial tradition of sharing GIF images with each other every morning. Now we’re looping you into the circle. In the Morning GIF, we feature a popular—or just plain cool—GIF we found on Reddit, Canvas, or elsewhere on the Internet.
What makes a GIF animation popular is a complicated formula of timing, quality, and creativity. But chances are, if the GIF includes a Disney reference and the head of Sir Nigel Archibald Thornberry of The Wild Thornberrys, the animation is sure to succeed.
Last Saturday, Chicago-based artist Miryuu Chan spent her morning browsing Tumblr when she found a GIF animation of Belle from Beauty and the Beast singing on her father’s movable ladder.
“Holy $#*! that would be funny if Nigel popped up in this!” Chan told the Daily Dot.
After spending the next hour delicately Photoshopping the GIF, Chan struck comedic gold.
The altered animation features Belle climbing her father’s ladder, but when she turns to slide it down the bookcase, her face was replaced Nigel Thornberry’s iconic mug.
“Since the re-release of Beauty and the Beast in theaters, many GIFs for the film have appeared on Tumblr—and after seeing that particular scene, it was more or less an epiphany that inspired my groggy mind,” Chan said. “It didn’t help that there was a Nigel Thornberry meme that had gotten very popular recently, so I ran after the bandwagon and hopped in.”
And Chan hopped on the bandwagon at the right time. She posted the GIF on Tumblr, where it has collected more than 55,000 notes in less than two days. The animation also made it to the top of Reddit’s r/gifs section.
Fernando Alfonso III served as an early Reddit and 4chan reporter and the Daily Dot’s first art director until 2016. He’s gone on to report at Lexington’s Herald-Leader and at the Houston Chronicle.