- How to stream Bears vs. Redskins on Monday Night Football 5 Years Ago
- What are the best alternatives to the electoral college? Today 6:30 AM
- The best PS4 games you can’t play anywhere else Today 6:00 AM
- How to watch the 2019 Emmy Awards Today 5:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Power’ season 6, episode 5 Today 4:00 AM
- Former developer at software company deletes his code to protest its ties to ICE Saturday 4:21 PM
- A mysterious website is doxing Hong Kong protesters and journalists Saturday 1:44 PM
- The best ‘Skyrim’ followers and how to get them Saturday 1:26 PM
- Why Joel Osteen gets cyberbullied every time Houston floods Saturday 12:40 PM
- How to stream Jets vs. Patriots in Week 3 Saturday 12:39 PM
- 10 indie dating simulator games you should be playing Saturday 12:31 PM
- How to stream Packers vs. Broncos in Week 3 Saturday 12:14 PM
- Saudi crown prince’s former adviser suspended from Twitter Saturday 11:57 AM
- How to stream Cowboys vs. Dolphins in Week 3 Saturday 11:57 AM
- YouTuber to pay restitution after a teen fan died copying her video Saturday 10:36 AM
Mike Tyson wants you to pick his greatest-ever knockout
Mike Tyson was one of the greatest boxers in history. Watch every KO here.
In his prime, Mike Tyson was one of the greatest boxers in history. Having worked hard to recover his professional reputation after his 1992 conviction for raping a Miss Black America contestant, Tyson is lately reaping the rewards of a towering career.
In addition to the surprise announcement about Scorsese and Foxx, which Tyson first leaked yesterday on morning radio, Tyson uploaded a compilation of all 43 of his knockout matches over his career on YouTube yesterday afternoon.
Tyson is asking his followers and fans to help him pick the 10 best KOs of his career, ostensibly to help his pal Foxx prepare for his role in the film, but most likely to help create buzz for the film in the form of an instant viral hit.
Knowing that Tyson is a boxing genius pales in comparison to actually seeing him in action—which is probably why the video has already racked up over 240,000 views. The long list of knockouts clocks in at nearly an hour. It includes highlights like his debut fight KO against Hector Mercedes in 1985, in which Mercedes goes down in round 1, and his spectacular pummeling of Marvis Frazier at 40:09.
Tyson lost only six fights in his his 58-match career. Arguably none of those will ever eclipse the notoriety of his rematch with Evander Holyfield, which resulted in his disqualification over the famous ear-biting incident.
And it’s equally important that time not erase the history of his six-year prison sentence for raping college student Desiree Washington. Tyson served only three years.
But anyone looking for evidence that Tyson is one of the greatest boxers in heavyweight history need only look at this series of matches, in which Tyson, smaller and with shorter arms than most of his competitors, nevertheless succeeds over and over again at pinning them against the ropes and going all in. His history of assault and his status as a convicted rapist accompany a history of extraordinary fighting.
We hope the biopic takes an unflinching look at Tyson’s biggest fights—both in and out of the ring.
Photo via merille/Flickr (CC BY SA 2.0)
Aja Romano is a geek culture reporter and fandom expert. Their reporting at the Daily Dot covered everything from Harry Potter and anime to Tumblr and Gamergate. Romano joined Vox as a staff reporter in 2016.