- Elon Musk’s Cybertruck mocked after ball busts windows during demonstration Today 12:23 AM
- Pornhub has a bundle now, Disney+ style Thursday 11:27 PM
- Jacob Wohl’s dad is selling horny calendars of himself for the soldiers Thursday 11:10 PM
- Amanda Palmer dragged for ‘demanding’ coverage of her music Thursday 8:33 PM
- How to get free TikTok followers without downloading a virus Thursday 7:57 PM
- Trump Jr.s ‘Triggered’ topped best-seller’s list with help of RNC Thursday 7:41 PM
- FBI raided millionaire YouTuber’s home, allegedly took everything Thursday 6:55 PM
- A fake Labour party website is spreading disinformation in Britain Thursday 6:16 PM
- Twitter bans cricket club for posting ISIS content in apparent hack Thursday 6:12 PM
- This dad remade his daughter’s NSFW photo—and people are loving it Thursday 5:51 PM
- Teen allegedly posted ‘slave for sale’ Craigslist ad featuring his Black classmate Thursday 5:28 PM
- People are crushed that this teen love story might be a TikTok ‘joke’ Thursday 4:50 PM
- Is Jacob Wohl evading his Twitter ban with Jack Burkman’s account? Thursday 2:06 PM
- Biden’s most perplexing debate answers, explained Thursday 2:03 PM
- How to stream Colts vs. Texans on Thursday Night Football Thursday 12:52 PM
In her first solo statement released by Kensington Palace, Markle confirmed that her father will “sadly” not be attending the ceremony as he recovers from a recent heart surgery.
“I have always cared for my father and hope he can be given the space he needs to focus on his health,” the statement read.
A statement from Ms. Meghan Markle: pic.twitter.com/TjBNarmuBU— Kensington Palace (@KensingtonRoyal) May 17, 2018
Markle reportedly suffered a heart attack and is currently hospitalized on bed rest while he recovers. Meghan’s mother Doria Ragland is reportedly set to walk her down the aisle for the royal ceremony Saturday.
Prior to Thomas Markle’s health concerns, the status of his invite was already being called into question by the tabloids. Last week it was revealed that he’d sold paparazzi photos of himself reading a picture book about England (which quickly became a meme), and he had told TMZ he was no longer interested in walking his daughter down the aisle after realizing the tension it had caused. The tabloid drama is a moot point now, though, with Markle’s health ultimately squashing any discussions about whether he’d caused enough drama to get cut out of the ceremony altogether.
Christine Friar is a writer and editor in New York who focuses on streaming entertainment and internet culture. Her work has appeared in the Awl, the Fader, New York Magazine, Paper Magazine, Vogue, Elle, and more.