- How a queer Instagram is helping fight the opioid epidemic in Appalachia Today 6:30 AM
- Philadelphia to fire 13 officers for racist, violent Facebook posts Saturday 6:12 PM
- Nick Offerman is so down to play every single role in ‘Cats’ Saturday 4:27 PM
- Woman documents how airport staff broke her wheelchair Saturday 3:04 PM
- Funeral home allegedly posted photos of woman’s dead body on social media Saturday 1:56 PM
- Alinity Divine is being investigated after throwing her cat during stream (updated) Saturday 12:04 PM
- ‘Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee’ returns with Seinfeld making a racist joke about China Saturday 10:26 AM
- YouTubers Eugenia Cooney and Shane Dawson make a joint comeback Saturday 9:06 AM
- The crushing effects of Trump’s abortion ‘gag rule’ on healthcare Saturday 8:00 AM
- How to live stream Pacquiao vs. Thurman Saturday 6:20 AM
- Review: Hulu with Live TV ensures you always have something to watch Saturday 6:00 AM
- How to live stream UFC on ESPN 4: Rafael dos Anjos vs. Leon Edwards Saturday 5:49 AM
- 2020 Democrats refuse to answer our questions about ‘Cats’ Friday 4:14 PM
- Belle Delphine’s Instagram account removed after mass reporting campaign Friday 4:08 PM
- Mariah Carey refuses old-age FaceApp challenge Friday 3:19 PM
Meghan Markle says her dad will not be attending the royal wedding
In her first solo statement released by Kensington Palace, Markle confirmed that her father will “sadly” not be attending the ceremony as he recovers from a recent heart surgery.
“I have always cared for my father and hope he can be given the space he needs to focus on his health,” the statement read.
A statement from Ms. Meghan Markle: pic.twitter.com/TjBNarmuBU— Kensington Palace (@KensingtonRoyal) May 17, 2018
Markle reportedly suffered a heart attack and is currently hospitalized on bed rest while he recovers. Meghan’s mother Doria Ragland is reportedly set to walk her down the aisle for the royal ceremony Saturday.
Prior to Thomas Markle’s health concerns, the status of his invite was already being called into question by the tabloids. Last week it was revealed that he’d sold paparazzi photos of himself reading a picture book about England (which quickly became a meme), and he had told TMZ he was no longer interested in walking his daughter down the aisle after realizing the tension it had caused. The tabloid drama is a moot point now, though, with Markle’s health ultimately squashing any discussions about whether he’d caused enough drama to get cut out of the ceremony altogether.
Christine Friar is a writer and editor in New York who focuses on streaming entertainment and internet culture. Her work has appeared in the Awl, the Fader, New York Magazine, Paper Magazine, Vogue, Elle, and more.