- How to stream Packers vs. Lions on Monday Night Football Sunday 7:15 PM
- College students burned author’s books after she spoke about white privilege Sunday 6:28 PM
- Texas police officer fatally shoots Black woman in her own home Sunday 3:44 PM
- Milo Yiannopoulos’ website dangerous.com was sold Sunday 1:42 PM
- First YouTube comment to hit 1 million likes is on Billie Eilish’s ‘bad guy’ music video Sunday 12:36 PM
- Girl says she was fired over exposing how Panera makes its mac and cheese on TikTok Sunday 11:34 AM
- David Harbour teased fans about Hopper’s ‘Stranger Things’ fate on ‘SNL’ Sunday 10:24 AM
- Kacey Musgraves accused of cultural appropriation–and botching it Sunday 9:19 AM
- Rihanna defends Vogue writer who received backlash for ‘winging’ interview Sunday 8:36 AM
- Here are the best PC games to add to your list Sunday 8:20 AM
- How to stream ‘Power’ season 6, episode 8 Sunday 6:00 AM
- How to stream Steelers vs. Chargers on Sunday Night Football Saturday 7:20 PM
- Popular TikTok teens accused of pretending to be gay for clout Saturday 6:38 PM
- Scott Walker’s ‘$26 haircut’ dig at Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez backfires Saturday 4:46 PM
- Halle synagogue shooter allegedly posted manifesto on anime message board Saturday 4:06 PM
HBO Max, WarnerMedia’s upcoming streaming service, has added another must-see show: an adaptation of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie’s 2013 novel Americanah, starring Lupita Nyong’o and written by Danai Gurira.
It will be a limited series, with Nyong’o starring as Ifemelu, a Nigerian woman who moves to the United States for a better life and must navigate her new identity there, as well as a long-distance relationship with Obinze, who attempts to come to the States but is denied a visa post-9/11. An adaptation, with Nyong’o attached, has been in the works since 2014 when Selma‘s David Oyelowo was rumored to play Obinze.
Nyong’o’s Black Panther co-star Gurira will write the pilot and be showrunner for the 10-episode series. “Through Americanah, Chimamanda brought the African female voice into mainstream consciousness in an unprecedented way,” Gurira said in a statement. “It is intellectually incisive, indicting, yet full of humor, and riddled with humanity. She makes unheard voices familiar, universal and yet palpably specific.”
Americanah does not yet have a release date. HBO Max is set to debut in 2020 and has already announced it will be the exclusive home of Friends, as well as CW spinoffs like Katy Keene and a Gossip Girl reboot.
Audra Schroeder is the Daily Dot’s senior entertainment writer, and she focuses on streaming, comedy, and music. Her work has previously appeared in the Austin Chronicle, the Dallas Observer, NPR, ESPN, Bitch, and the Village Voice. She is based in Austin, Texas.