- Beyoncé and Kelly Rowland were harassed by Jagged Edge as teens, Mathew Knowles says 3 Months Ago
- White nationalist Nick Fuentes is upset MTV aired his white nationalist views 3 Months Ago
- Juice WRLD had secret drug-littered Instagram, according to his ex-girlfriend 3 Months Ago
- Jersey City suspect posted anti-Semitic, anti-police materials online Today 10:30 AM
- Novaruu was banned from Twitch for 3 days—and she can’t understand why Today 10:12 AM
- Pete Buttigieg swears he’s not in the CIA Today 9:28 AM
- Greta Thunberg named ‘Time’ 2019 person of the year Today 9:28 AM
- The best gear and gadget gifts for Dad this holiday season Today 7:30 AM
- The 10 most important sci-fi films of the 2010s Today 7:00 AM
- Netflix advances beyond testosterone-fueled anime with subdued ‘Levius’ Today 6:00 AM
- Influencer accused of selling shirt she was supposed to promote Tuesday 8:42 PM
- Jameela Jamil dragged for comparing reproductive rights to landlord rights Tuesday 6:54 PM
- Trump campaign posts Thanos meme, totally misses point of ‘Endgame’ Tuesday 5:58 PM
- Petition calls for Apple to make a Baby Yoda emoji Tuesday 5:16 PM
- This BTS-Billie Eilish mashup is the most popular tweet of 2019 Tuesday 4:51 PM
HBO Max, WarnerMedia’s upcoming streaming service, has added another must-see show: an adaptation of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie’s 2013 novel Americanah, starring Lupita Nyong’o and written by Danai Gurira.
It will be a limited series, with Nyong’o starring as Ifemelu, a Nigerian woman who moves to the United States for a better life and must navigate her new identity there, as well as a long-distance relationship with Obinze, who attempts to come to the States but is denied a visa post-9/11. An adaptation, with Nyong’o attached, has been in the works since 2014 when Selma‘s David Oyelowo was rumored to play Obinze.
Nyong’o’s Black Panther co-star Gurira will write the pilot and be showrunner for the 10-episode series. “Through Americanah, Chimamanda brought the African female voice into mainstream consciousness in an unprecedented way,” Gurira said in a statement. “It is intellectually incisive, indicting, yet full of humor, and riddled with humanity. She makes unheard voices familiar, universal and yet palpably specific.”
Americanah does not yet have a release date. HBO Max is set to debut in 2020 and has already announced it will be the exclusive home of Friends, as well as CW spinoffs like Katy Keene and a Gossip Girl reboot.
Audra Schroeder is the Daily Dot’s senior entertainment writer, and she focuses on streaming, comedy, and music. Her work has previously appeared in the Austin Chronicle, the Dallas Observer, NPR, ESPN, Bitch, and the Village Voice. She is based in Austin, Texas.