- North Korea is using Trump’s low IQ attack on Joe Biden 2 Weeks Ago
- How to watch ‘Kidding’ for free Today 8:00 AM
- What’s the deal with Bran Stark at the end of ‘Game of Thrones’? Today 6:30 AM
- How to watch TruTV online for free Today 6:00 AM
- Fans call out Madonna for edited Eurovision video Tuesday 9:36 PM
- Partnered Twitch streamer temporarily banned for airing troll’s racist message Tuesday 8:45 PM
- Reddit theory says fans are wrong about who won ‘Game of Thrones’ Tuesday 6:52 PM
- Elon Musk hires ‘absolute unit’ sheep meme creator to be Tesla’s social media manager Tuesday 6:12 PM
- Jason Momoa stands by his Khaleesi after the ‘Game of Thrones’ finale Tuesday 4:05 PM
- Airbnb, 23andMe partner for creepy heritage travel recommendations Tuesday 3:26 PM
- Rep. Katie Porter goes viral again for trouncing Ben Carson (updated) Tuesday 3:26 PM
- This deepfake takes Bill Hader’s Schwarzenegger impression to the next level Tuesday 2:58 PM
- Wanda Sykes rails against Trump and offers much-needed perspective in ‘Not Normal’ Tuesday 2:41 PM
- Man arrested after allegedly threatening to shoot YouTube employees Tuesday 2:13 PM
- Some House Dems are backing away from the Save the Internet Act Tuesday 1:40 PM
Yes, that ‘Loqueesha’ movie trailer is real, and the internet hates it
The film is about a white man portraying a black woman.
A trailer for a film called Loqueesha dropped on Friday.
The film—debuting in the year 2019—is about a white man portraying a Black woman. What could go wrong?
In the trailer, a white man—instead of finding a job using his white, male privilege—embodies an extreme caricature of an offensive black woman’s stereotype to create a popular, sassy radio talk show. He does this to make enough money to send his kid to an elite private school.
Needless to say, there’s a lot to unpack.
Of course, the internet hates everything about the film. There is just so much wrong with it.
This will definitely go over well in 2019. pic.twitter.com/UgaNE77p5T
— No Context Sean Mulvihill (@NotSPMulvihill) May 10, 2019
The LOQUEESHA trailer counts as a hate crime.
— Bron.com (@brondotcomputer) May 10, 2019
Even choosing the name Loqueesha is racist, coded to sound loud and "ghetto." Our names are beautiful and stemmed in a dream of individuality and representation. Every nameless Black female interpretation is rooted in misogynoir. pic.twitter.com/xNFr15DYh8
— Joelle Monique ✍🏾 (@JoelleMonique) May 10, 2019
I watched that horrible Loqueesha trailer and it made my blood boil. A grown white man is a failure in life and fantasizes that his goals are easier to accomplish as a Black Woman. A double minority? It’s 2019 and they’re still using us as scapegoats. Okay, Amy Fisher pic.twitter.com/hY2x0D20lq
— Ba-Donkin’ Donutz 🍩☕️ (@Crysmay04) May 10, 2019
Nah everybody behind this Loqueesha movie gotta catch this work. This shit foul. pic.twitter.com/YICpqdLjyy
— Black America's Ass (@NotoriousBlerd) May 10, 2019
I challenge everybody involved in making the #Loqueesha movie to a fight. Cage style. One by one. Actually, fight to the death. I am fucking on fire. That's the only way to unleash this rage. What is this garbage.
— GIDDENS VISION (@GiddensVision) May 10, 2019
"Loqueesha" broke my brain for the day.
— Craig Bro Dude (@CraigSJ) May 10, 2019
At first, many thought it had to be fake because a film that out-of-touch couldn’t have possibly been made in the year: 2019. Yet here we are.
I think the “Loqueesha” movie trailer is fake. I HOPE it’s fake. But I think… it’s fake? But maybe 3 years in Hellworld so who even knows anymore?
— Patton Oswalt (@pattonoswalt) May 11, 2019
Loqueesha is a real movie?? Who thought this was a good idea? pic.twitter.com/eU4PJ3NNoe
— Ladybuglizzie (@sagevalentine) May 10, 2019
Wait that Loqueesha movie thing is real?
— Dad (@fivefifths) May 10, 2019
What in the blackface HELL is this?!!! —-> “Loqueesha is the hilarious and heartwarming story of Joe, an astute and underachieving Detroit bartender who values truth above everything” who “invents a larger-than-life black female personality named Loqueesha” https://t.co/e5W6TqVifE
— Charles M. Blow (@CharlesMBlow) May 10, 2019
People also couldn’t get over the trivia portion of the film’s bizarre IMBD page.
It just keeps getting better. Oh my lord. This is the IMDb trivia page for LOQUEESHA. pic.twitter.com/DiJFXY1bUw
— Scott Weinberg (@scottEweinberg) May 11, 2019
LOQUEESHA 's IMDB trivia page is wild pic.twitter.com/1FxL20Wg2A
— Sam Coffey (@SamCoffey72) May 11, 2019
Everybody is (rightly) talking about what a dumpster fire the trailer for #loqueesha is, but I think it's also equally important to see that there's already some choice trivia on its IMDB page pic.twitter.com/yPnedB9aFu
— new year, same depression (@ZANTrav) May 10, 2019
— Rob Cleaver (@bobbycleav) May 10, 2019
The trailer begs the question: Were any Black people consulted when making this film? According to the film’s IMBD page, Jeremy Saville, who plays the main character, also directed and wrote the script.
The Daily Dot has reached out to October Coast, the public relations company for Loqueesha.
Eilish O'Sullivan is an editorial intern for the Daily Dot studying journalism and government at the University of Texas at Austin. Her work has appeared in the Austin Chronicle and the Daily Texan.