- Vanessa Bryant files a lawsuit against helicopter company after deaths of Kobe and Gianna 8 Months Ago
- Michael Jordan cries at Kobe Bryant memorial, jokes about creating a new meme Today 4:43 PM
- Woman’s boyfriend says it’s him or the frogs—Reddit says choose the frogs Today 4:22 PM
- Greyhound buses will no longer allow Border Patrol checks Today 4:04 PM
- ‘Eat Them To Defeat Them’ is oddly about vegetables—not about eating the rich Today 3:26 PM
- Marco Rubio mocked for filming talking while driving socialism critique Today 2:54 PM
- QAnon believer asks Trump’s campaign press secretary who Q is Today 2:36 PM
- Octavia Spencer has discovered ‘Ma’ memes—and she can’t get enough Today 2:09 PM
- Meet the anti-Greta Thunberg, a climate ‘skeptic’ funded by the oil industry Today 1:12 PM
- Harvey Weinstein convicted of rape and sexual assault Today 12:56 PM
- Senator calls Facebook’s current election disinformation efforts ‘inadequate’ in letter Today 12:11 PM
- The Phillie Phanatic mascot unveils a slimmer makeover Today 11:56 AM
- YouTuber threatened with arrest after rapping about being a girl from Mecca Today 11:55 AM
- Video shows flat-Earther ‘daredevil’ crashing to death after homemade rocket fails Today 11:49 AM
- Cardi B defends Dwyane Wade’s daughter during Instagram Live Today 11:45 AM
Lil Nas X came out as a member of the LGBTQ community on the last day of Pride Month, and since it’s 2019 that should be the end of the story.
While many fans expressed their support for the viral sensation, some took the opportunity to sling around homophobic jokes about him and his viral hit, “Old Town Road.”
In true Lil Nas fashion, he laughed off the hate in a series of tweets.
“Just cuz i’m gay don’t mean i’m not straight,” he wrote on Tuesday.
just cuz i’m gay don’t mean i’m not straight— nope (@LilNasX) July 1, 2019
One of the most viral, negative comments came from fellow rapper Boosie Badazz.
“WELL NOW U KNOW WHAT HE WAS RIDING ON THE OLD TOWN ROAD,” he commented on Lil Nas’ coming-out post, along with an eggplant emoji.
This earned Boosie a wave of criticism from Lil Nas’ fanbase. Many were quick to remind him that “Old Town Road” has been on the Billboard charts for months now, while none of Boosie’s songs have.
Lil Nas X counting money while boosie hates from outside the charts https://t.co/m33pgYdZYB— Deniece (@newenglandnapps) July 1, 2019
Lil Nas waved off the comments with hilariously blase tweets.
“‘Old Town Road’ is literally about horses,” he tweeted Monday.
It’s also the longest-running Hot 100 hip-hop single of all time, according to a post he retweeted soon after–no doubt as a flex.
old town road is literally about horses.— nope (@LilNasX) July 1, 2019
On Instagram, he posted a cowboy emoji holding a gun along with the caption, “say one more home of phobic thing to me.” It currently has more than 600,000 likes. He also jokingly threatened to kiss the next person who made an offensive comment.
next nigga to say something offensive to me getting kissed— nope (@LilNasX) July 2, 2019
His confidence is completely understandable considering his new EP has been doing fire–the video for the single “Panini” has 14 million views on YouTube alone.
- Lil Nas X says you missed all his clues about coming out
- Lil Nas X’s new bop ‘Panini’ cooks up a fresh batch of memes
- Guy Fieri’s ‘Old Town Road’ remix might be on the way
- Homophobic pastor blocked from hosting event at Cracker Barrel
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
Alyse Stanley is a video game and culture reporter based in Virginia with words at Polygon and USGamer. When she’s not writing about memes, she edits Unwinnable’s monthly magazine. You can follow her on Twitter @pithyalyse.