- Disney+ now allows users to resume and restart content Today 11:42 AM
- New York sues JUUL for marketing to teenagers Today 11:34 AM
- The new ‘Discworld’ TV series just gender-flipped several major characters Today 10:54 AM
- David Fincher is doing a ‘Chinatown’ prequel series, naturally Today 10:43 AM
- Congress thinks Facebook is misleading you about its location tracking Today 10:36 AM
- The cast and crew of ‘The Rise of Skywalker’ offer more teases on ‘Star Wars’ conclusion Today 10:34 AM
- #FartGate takes over Twitter after lawmaker appears to pass gas on live television Today 10:24 AM
- Cop was playing YouTube video when he crashed into woman’s car at 70 mph Today 10:10 AM
- 5 last-minute gift ideas people actually want Today 9:51 AM
- South Dakota anti-meth campaign goes viral—and officials love it Today 9:38 AM
- Jeffrey Epstein guards arrested, to be charged Today 9:05 AM
- TikTok teens are savaging Mayor Pete’s ‘High Hopes’ dance Today 8:41 AM
- The coolest Easter eggs in HBO’s ‘Watchmen’ Today 8:13 AM
- Billie Eilish hit herself in the face with a mic—and reminded us why we love her Today 8:01 AM
- Review: Wyze’s budget security cams easily compete with big-name brands Today 7:16 AM
Lil Nas X came out as a member of the LGBTQ community on the last day of Pride Month, and since it’s 2019 that should be the end of the story.
While many fans expressed their support for the viral sensation, some took the opportunity to sling around homophobic jokes about him and his viral hit, “Old Town Road.”
In true Lil Nas fashion, he laughed off the hate in a series of tweets.
“Just cuz i’m gay don’t mean i’m not straight,” he wrote on Tuesday.
just cuz i’m gay don’t mean i’m not straight— nope (@LilNasX) July 1, 2019
One of the most viral, negative comments came from fellow rapper Boosie Badazz.
“WELL NOW U KNOW WHAT HE WAS RIDING ON THE OLD TOWN ROAD,” he commented on Lil Nas’ coming-out post, along with an eggplant emoji.
This earned Boosie a wave of criticism from Lil Nas’ fanbase. Many were quick to remind him that “Old Town Road” has been on the Billboard charts for months now, while none of Boosie’s songs have.
Lil Nas X counting money while boosie hates from outside the charts https://t.co/m33pgYdZYB— Deniece (@newenglandnapps) July 1, 2019
Lil Nas waved off the comments with hilariously blase tweets.
“‘Old Town Road’ is literally about horses,” he tweeted Monday.
It’s also the longest-running Hot 100 hip-hop single of all time, according to a post he retweeted soon after–no doubt as a flex.
old town road is literally about horses.— nope (@LilNasX) July 1, 2019
On Instagram, he posted a cowboy emoji holding a gun along with the caption, “say one more home of phobic thing to me.” It currently has more than 600,000 likes. He also jokingly threatened to kiss the next person who made an offensive comment.
next nigga to say something offensive to me getting kissed— nope (@LilNasX) July 2, 2019
His confidence is completely understandable considering his new EP has been doing fire–the video for the single “Panini” has 14 million views on YouTube alone.
- Lil Nas X says you missed all his clues about coming out
- Lil Nas X’s new bop ‘Panini’ cooks up a fresh batch of memes
- Guy Fieri’s ‘Old Town Road’ remix might be on the way
- Homophobic pastor blocked from hosting event at Cracker Barrel
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
Alyse Stanley is a video game and culture reporter based in Virginia with words at Polygon and USGamer. When she’s not writing about memes, she edits Unwinnable’s monthly magazine. You can follow her on Twitter @pithyalyse.